Spot Satelite Messenger

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
excellent suggestion Barry, thanks.

if you can say, what was the nature of the emergency and did it warrant using the "911" button? if you were to estimate, how much time did it actually save and was it a situation where time was of the essence?

Broken femor(spell wrong) time saved was 1.5-2 hours. In this case time was important.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
This is a great thread, lots of really good discussion around what sounds like is a very good device for sledders, quadders, skiers and hikers alike to have!

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got my SPOT for Christmas, purchased the Basic, Unlimited, and $7.95 thing. I turn my Spot on, Hold Check In for 3 seconds, it doesnt send an email to the contacts I had added. When I press the check in button, the green light stays on till I let go, than it blinks every 2-3ish seconds, at the sametime as the on/off green light.

It hasn't taken the $xxx.xx out of my mastercard yet for the SPOT subscription.

How i think it should work is, I turn it on, I hold check in for 3 seconds, it sends an email to all the contacts saying im Ok. Same thing with the Help button.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just like a gps it works best outside and can take up to twenty muinutes to send something,It took me a bit to figure it all out and reading the instructioins will save you a lot of grief!It works good once you figure out evertything.
catmando!

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep...Just as mentioned above...registered account... sat outside to get bearings,, hit ok button and within 5mins wife had text and email, saying everything okay... google map works cool also.... Great little unit..

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to put a twist on things for the SPOT, I use a ACR beacon. This is the only PLB beacon that is approved by the Canadian search and rescue. No annual fee and the antenna is quite large. This is why I know that I will have a quick upload to the sats.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to put a twist on things for the SPOT, I use a ACR beacon. This is the only PLB beacon that is approved by the Canadian search and rescue. No annual fee and the antenna is quite large. This is why I know that I will have a quick upload to the sats.

Which one do you have? And how does it work? Is it like the SPOT, but effectively better?

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own the ACR Microfix. From researching other differences between the SPOT and the ACR is the ACR works on the 406 mhz frequency different than the SPOT that goes to a different sat. This is not a a toy to show friends and family where you are or what you are doing. This is life and death. It only gets used in a emergency. This is the only reason that I purchased it. Most people could not find me anyways if I had problems or it would be to late.

You can compare the reviews from this site.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sadly today I think we just learned how well and fast these units do work. :(

Prayers to everyone affected in Sparwood.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sadly today I think we just learned how well and fast these units do work. :(

Prayers to everyone affected in Sparwood.

Very true - I thought on one news report I heard the SPOT device contacted a n office in Texas that then contacted RCMP Fernie - is that correct?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very true - I thought on one news report I heard the SPOT device contacted a n office in Texas that then contacted RCMP Fernie - is that correct?
I read the same, but don't recall them saying Spot specifically. would make sense though if the call came from Texas to Fernie.

what a tragic event, could you imagine the feelings of those three guys walking out.....can't even fathom it. :(

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the SPOT goes directly to the main office in Texas and then calculates coordinates and contacts the local authorities. The SPOT also contacts your contacts on the list that you update. They will not stop until they reach a warm body.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what a tragic event, could you imagine the feelings of those three guys walking out.....can't even fathom it. :(

I'm feeling the exact same way. Those three guys will need alot of support in the coming days.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i just got mine in the mail today, hopefully it will give the wife some piece of mind when i'm out in the great outdoors. at least give her the i'm ok. got it with carrying case for $120 US thought it was a not bad price.:cool::)

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
We also sell the SPOTS and have some left in stock and will ship right to your door. Just another option for you guys! I have one and it has given HUGE piece of mind to my wife. She is able to see where we are at using the tracking function.

Thanks
Trever

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got minw set up the other day. works awsome, i pack it with me at work and now my little girl can see were her dad is working to day. can wait to put it through the paces. work and play!

Top Bottom