Spot Satelite Messenger

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just picked up the latest Snowtech magazine and found something that will be in my backpack this year.It is called a satelite messanger and it is about a150.00 dollars and is available Nov 1st.Myself I have only road with one group in my life that has had a satelite phone,wish it wasnt true but they are rare.This is not a satelite phone but it will do the job as well as track your every move and send a message home or too the authorities with your location.It wieghs 7 ounces and is waterproof,also good to minus 40.Check it out at findmespot..........dot ..................com...........!
Worth a look!
catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Less than sat. radio, cable,cell phone,Home security system,one night in the bar.I think its worth it.
Dont be so Grumpy.......LOL!
catmando!

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Less than sat. radio, cable,cell phone,Home security system,one night in the bar.I think its worth it.
Dont be so Grumpy.......LOL!
catmando!

So how much do you usually spend at the bar??...and do you save enough to fill the sled with premium the following day?
It actually seems like a bit of a bargain compared to the costs of a sat phone when you consider that the goal is to not use it...and if you do need to use it, then I would expect one would be screwed bad enough to sell his soul for the chance to communicate with potential rescuers!:cool:

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After reading that article in the mag i am tempted to pick one up as well. Sat phone would be nice but man are they expensive, even on ebay for a used one.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So how much do you usually spend at the bar??...and do you save enough to fill the sled with premium the following day?
It actually seems like a bit of a bargain compared to the costs of a sat phone when you consider that the goal is to not use it...and if you do need to use it, then I would expect one would be screwed bad enough to sell his soul for the chance to communicate with potential rescuers!:cool:

Well I dont go to the bar often so I like to make it good when I do! LOL!
catmando!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever look into renting a sat phone for the weekend? There are a couple of places that rent all sorts of comms equipment, radios etc I don't know for sure if they do sat phones. Might be worth while to see.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had to use our Sat phone in McBride last year to get our buddy choppered out of Renshaw. We would have had a bad situation on our hands without it. A sat phone in the mountains is like an avy beacon....you hope to never need it; but if you do..... Sounds like a pretty cheap piece of safety equipment. If guys ride in generally the same group and split the cost; it would be less than supper and a few beer at the Loose Moose. Good find Catman.:)

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bar none if that thing works. It is a must buy and without a doubt the most important purchase any sledder can make this year. Cheap to buy Cheap to run Good post Catman

tayco

Reaction score
Website
www.taycowelding.ca
Hey Catman that sounds like a decent investment. Since I ride with you most of the time I can understand why you got it.......Some things are just better left unsaid!!!!! LOL!!!!:)

On a more serious note I have been stranded in the COLD north before and with all the cash we spend on the toys these days, piece of mind for 150.00 sounds good, I would have signed over my house and all to the searh and rescue that found me when I was up there!!! Good one Catman.:clap2:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am waiting to buy one of these myself. When I'm running late and can't get cell phone service to let my wife know everything is OK, this would be ideal.
I read that sat phone service in Canada is really bad. The provider is losing satellites and doesn't plan fixing the situation. I phoned a couple of places that rent sat phones last year and a few in the states told me to avoid the Cdn provider for these reasons. Though it was funny that I ended up phoning California when I dialed a local number for the rental.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my spot and it's activated. Tested the OK button while driving the other day and everything works well so far. The location of the google earth link was off a bit but that was because I was moving and if I ever need this while sledding I'd stay put.
I'll get a better test this weekend at Quartz for the avy training.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got my spot and it's activated. Tested the OK button while driving the other day and everything works well so far. The location of the google earth link was off a bit but that was because I was moving and if I ever need this while sledding I'd stay put.
I'll get a better test this weekend at Quartz for the avy training.

What day are you doing your field training?
I'm doing mine on Friday!
catmando!

mapjay

Reaction score
Global star is the canadain provider for satelite phones in Canada. They do still work but have dead peroids of up to an hour due to non working satelites. They say they will have it fixed but will probably take a couple of years to fix the issue. There is an American provider that deals mostly with the American Military. The American brand is Viridium and they are currently retailing for about 1600 just for the phone. I know the AB government is looking into these Spot devices as replacement solution to satelite phones. Worth giving it a try for sure.

Last edited:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mac, where did you get yours?

Ebay - Where everyone shops! :) lol
Ended up $175 to my door with shipping and import fees.

I'll be avy training this Saturday and testing the Spot from Quartz.
Was supposed to go last weekend but couldn't make it.

A little concerned about the vandalism going around there. I sent an email the Golden Snowmobile Trail Society to see if they had any plans to try and stop it. Waiting to hear back.

Anyone want to sit in my truck and play some playstation or watch sledding videos on Saturday? I'll bring the skidoo game for ps2 and some beer! :D A whole day to practice writing your name in the snow. Who could pass that up?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Darn attractive offer, but I would rather sled!!!
Thanks for the direction on getting one. I'll wait until you test it before I buy one...looking forward to the update.
Ebay - Where everyone shops! :) lol
Ended up $175 to my door with shipping and import fees.

I'll be avy training this Saturday and testing the Spot from Quartz.
Was supposed to go last weekend but couldn't make it.

A little concerned about the vandalism going around there. I sent an email the Golden Snowmobile Trail Society to see if they had any plans to try and stop it. Waiting to hear back.

Anyone want to sit in my truck and play some playstation or watch sledding videos on Saturday? I'll bring the skidoo game for ps2 and some beer! :D A whole day to practice writing your name in the snow. Who could pass that up?

mapjay

Reaction score
My girlfriend works in the telecom world and knows the sales rep for these devices in Edmonton. I am going to ask about pricing and see if there is a possible group rate. I will post the price when I find out.

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
I just received a shippment of the SPOTS last week and they are going quick!
I set one up and it works as advertised. As far as size goes its actually a bit smaller than the average avy beacon. These are a great buy and in time of need may save someones life!

Top Bottom