Spot Satelite Messenger

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$100,000 Cover for Search Rescue with the spot

So say I was stuck in the mountains a chopper came and rescued me, who would be stuck with the bill Me? Taxpayers? Search n Rescue? Spot? Or the gets tookin off my $100,000(If so does my 100,000 get reseted back to 100,000 every year).

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
For me the spot is about being able to get a signal to the family if something goes wrong. The GPS coordinates are included as well so the wife can call S&R.
It also lets me send a message to let her know all is well.
It just one more level of minor security and communication. I also have a few buddies that include me on their notification so I can see where they are sledding which puts a smile on my face.

It's well worth the money IMO.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For me the spot is about being able to get a signal to the family if something goes wrong. The GPS coordinates are included as well so the wife can call S&R.
It also lets me send a message to let her know all is well.
It just one more level of minor security and communication. I also have a few buddies that include me on their notification so I can see where they are sledding which puts a smile on my face.

It's well worth the money IMO.

Have you had a chance to use yours yet bunnyman?
catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually Ric and I bought it together. He ran it while in McBride a few weeks back. Worked awesome and was fun to see where they were when they sent notifications plus I know all was well with the "Boys".

I did the same with rusty,he took it one weekend,I took it the next.There were some issues but Im hoping it was the operator.It says in the book you cant track and send messages at the same time,Im trying to figure that out.It seemed sometimes when you sent a ok it would quit tracking.Or if you were tracking it wouldnt send ok's.Need to figure out how to change it to the different settings.The book dosnt really tell ya!
If you know how this works please tell me!
catmando!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
maybe ric can answer this questions, him and justin (jr highmark) spent some time getting to know the unit and i think they even read the manual???

nope, just pressed buttons...... Couldn't figure out what the 116 button was, KEPT PRESSING THE 116 BUTTON... HEARD HELICOPTERS AND COPS ON SLEDS, BUT NEVER DID FIGURE WHAT THAT BUTTON WAS.......... LMAO, LOL ;)

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah guys, it won't do both at the same time. if I'm tracking and want to send an "OK" message, I just shut it off and turn it back on and hit the "OK". the guy that was a part of the design team stated it takes less than 30 seconds for SPOT to start up, and said it was the best way to avoid confusion. he said that once the SPOT has been on and aquired position, when you turn it off and then back on they call it a "hot start". I would provide a link to the post, but don't want to go thru 50+ pages of that ADVRider thread again...gonna have to take my word for it or go find it yourself.....:d
Has anyone seen or bought a Spot Satellite Messenger yet? - ADVrider

if I have a view of the open sky in the mountains, I'll hit the "OK" and wait for the unit to send 2 of the three messages, you can tell the messages are being sent when the light above the OK button stays on for 5 seconds, then will flash in synch with the ON light. the first "OK" message is sent the moment you push the button, and it takes 20 minutes for it to send all 3.

when I was riding the bike this summer and had cell service, I could tell when the first message went thru via text message. it was consistently 2-3 minutes after pushing the button, then I would just shut it off and back on, then resume tracking, worked every time for me.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were called out on a search and rescue by one of these units. Worked but no info as to the condition of the injured party. But had the location which was a big plus. If there are enough of you on the group it would be nice to have someone come down and let us know the injuries before we leave the parking lot. This unit saved this person alot of time in getting to him.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were called out on a search and rescue by one of these units. Worked but no info as to the condition of the injured party. But had the location which was a big plus. If there are enough of you on the group it would be nice to have someone come down and let us know the injuries before we leave the parking lot. This unit saved this person alot of time in getting to him.
excellent suggestion Barry, thanks.

if you can say, what was the nature of the emergency and did it warrant using the "911" button? if you were to estimate, how much time did it actually save and was it a situation where time was of the essence?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yeah guys, it won't do both at the same time. if I'm tracking and want to send an "OK" message, I just shut it off and turn it back on and hit the "OK". the guy that was a part of the design team stated it takes less than 30 seconds for SPOT to start up, and said it was the best way to avoid confusion. he said that once the SPOT has been on and aquired position, when you turn it off and then back on they call it a "hot start". I would provide a link to the post, but don't want to go thru 50+ pages of that ADVRider thread again...gonna have to take my word for it or go find it yourself.....:d
Has anyone seen or bought a Spot Satellite Messenger yet? - ADVrider

if I have a view of the open sky in the mountains, I'll hit the "OK" and wait for the unit to send 2 of the three messages, you can tell the messages are being sent when the light above the OK button stays on for 5 seconds, then will flash in synch with the ON light. the first "OK" message is sent the moment you push the button, and it takes 20 minutes for it to send all 3.

when I was riding the bike this summer and had cell service, I could tell when the first message went thru via text message. it was consistently 2-3 minutes after pushing the button, then I would just shut it off and back on, then resume tracking, worked every time for me.

That would be usefull information,Pushing the 611 button ,watching for helicopters,and laughing like Pee Wee Herman is not and as stated before,It dosnt tell you this in the manuel,I have one in front of me.But the the effort was there,THX!
catmando!

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was just on the Spot website and they are offering a $50 instant rebate from now until Jan 4-09. Add to Xmas list :d

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was just on the Spot website and they are offering a $50 instant rebate from now until Jan 4-09. Add to Xmas list :d
add the free service and tracking for one year for signing up to Yahoo.com Fire Eagle (until Dec 31st) and you can't go wrong.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
that would be usefull information,pushing the 611 button ,watching for helicopters,and laughing like pee wee herman is not and as stated before,it dosnt tell you this in the manuel,i have one in front of me.but the the effort was there,thx!
Catmando!

nope it was a 116 button...... Bahahahahaha, lol

KINDA LIKE THE 7I0 CAP INSIDE MOST ENGINE COMPARTMENTS OF MOST VEHICLES..... ALMOST EVERY VEHICLE HAS ONE(READ THE "7I0" UPSIDE DOWN)....

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very good info Teeroy,Didnt take long to figure how to turn on the different modes,explains why some messages didnt go through and why we were turning the tracking on and off.Trying to find the yahoo.comfireeagle sign up,Can sign up but dont seem to have the service promo anywhere.
Thanks for your help!
catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You really should stay a little farther away from jerry cans,Those fumes are getting to you man! LOL!
catmando!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very good info Teeroy,Didnt take long to figure how to turn on the different modes,explains why some messages didnt go through and why we were turning the tracking on and off.Trying to find the yahoo.comfireeagle sign up,Can sign up but dont seem to have the service promo anywhere.
Thanks for your help!
catmando!
I'll dig it up for you, I think it was on the home page after sign in, had to scroll down a bit on the page if I remember correctly.....brb.

this is the link to the page after I sign in, scroll right to the bottom and in the last box the title is "Spots, Spots, Everywhere"

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll dig it up for you, I think it was on the home page after sign in, had to scroll down a bit on the page if I remember correctly.....brb.

this is the link to the page after I sign in, scroll right to the bottom and in the last box the title is "Spots, Spots, Everywhere"

Thanks Teeroy,found it ,signed up and good for a year.That was cheap.Bought the messanger for 119 and free service for year.Damn I love this website,Some people I talked to paud like 275.00 to get it all hooked up.Thank to you I know how to use it as well.
Another great day at S&M.
catmando!

Top Bottom