Solar Power

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s good to see that Calgary fire stations have been using solar power for quite a few years.
48a5b5ffc4eadfaf9691204f8562c5b5.jpg

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable, you get to see the actual power output of two solar plants. And now were back to unicorns.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks, good example validating Capacity Factory in our region

[h=2]PROJECT INFORMATION[/h]Project Cost:
$67,086.00

Project Completion Year:

MCCAC Funding Received:
$15,007.00

Electrical Energy Generation:
22,011 kWh/year

Installed Capacity:
20 kW

GHG Reductions:
14 tonnes/year

So they produced 22011 kWh in a year, divide by 8760 hours in a year = 2.51 kW averaged output.

Capacity factor 2.51 kW / 20 kW rated = 12.6%

Sure they may hit 20 kW output in perfect sunny conditions mid day in July, but averaged over the year the output is only 2.51 kW

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

[h=2]PROJECT INFORMATION[/h]Project Cost:
$67,086.00

Project Completion Year:

MCCAC Funding Received:
$15,007.00

22,011 kWh/year

Installed Capacity:
20 kW

GHG Reductions:
14 tonnes/year

So they produced 22011 kWh in a year, divide by 8760 hours in a year = 2.51 kW averaged output.

Sure they may hit 20 kW output in perfect sunny conditions mid day in July, but averaged over the year the output is only 2.51 kW

Don't worry they didn't pay for it, you did lol

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you owned a restaurant and you were calculating how many dollars per hour in sales you were making would you count the hours when you were not open for business?

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whos kit and or company installed ? any pictures to see size ?

After rebate, tax, and install it will cost $6500 for a 3kw system that will produce 100% of what I use annually. The panels and inverters are both warrantied for 25 years, life should be 30+years. Everything else without the long warranty is basic strut mounts on the roof and normal electrical cable and breakers.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

PROJECT INFORMATION

Project Cost:
$67,086.00

Project Completion Year:

MCCAC Funding Received:
$15,007.00

22,011 kWh/year

Installed Capacity:
20 kW

GHG Reductions:
14 tonnes/year

The project was completed in july of 2018 so that 22011kw for the year is based on lies not fact.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Using the typical factoring for panel output, your 3kw system will put out about 750w and will provide 25% of your use. And the payback will be 60 years. And you didn’t get any carbon tax money back. You just paid $6500 out of your pocket for something that you admitted you wouldn’t do if you had to pay full price.

What typical figuring? On an annual basis I use 2600kwh of electricity, this system will produce 2800kwh it's first year.

How will it put out 750 watts? Your math makes no sense. It will actually put out over 2200 watts on a sunny summer day.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does your system have storage batteries ABMax? Curious to know more about it as it gets installed.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What typical figuring? On an annual basis I use 2600kwh of electricity, this system will produce 2800kwh it's first year.

How will it put out 750 watts? Your math makes no sense. It will actually put out over 2200 watts on a sunny summer day.

You must have the only solar system in the world that puts out 100% of rated output. Most others are in the 20-30% range.
I think you said your system is rated for 3600w, so on a hot summer day it produces 2200w. So best case it’s 66% effective. What does it put out on the days that it’s not sunny? No where near 2200w for sure. It’s not even gonna be close to covering your power usage.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We need to pause this thread and take a look at a KW and a kWh. They are not the same.
P=I x V
Power in watts
I = current
V= voltage

A kWh is 1000watts for one hour.

Thank you. Was going to point out that ABmax's 3 kW system and 2800 KWHr per year is realistic with capacity factor of 10.6%

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does your system have storage batteries ABMax? Curious to know more about it as it gets installed.

No batteries for the time being, they are still quite pricey, the Tesla Powerwall is in the neighborhood of $11,000 for 13kwh of storage. Enphase has a small 1.2kwh battery out there now, but the pricing I kind find makes it more expensive per kwh than the Powerwall.

Our system will consist of 10 300watt Trina Solar Panels, with 5 APSystems YC600 (600watt) micro inverters. With micro inverters we don't have to worry about high voltage DC wiring in our house, it will be a single 240volt cable from the roof to the breaker panel. Another benefit is each panel is controlled separately, one dirty or shaded panel doesn't cause a substantial loss in the whole system like a string inverter does. I am also having the panels split 3 ways to try and maximize the length of time we are producing solar power at the cost of reduced peak midday output. I will have 2 panels facing east for early morning output, 4 facing south for midday output, and 4 facing west for evening output. This way we will minimize the time we need to buy power from the grid minimizing transmission and distribution fees.

Maybe I can put together a separate thread on this, the brackets and electrical boxes were installed on the roof today, the panels should be in tomorrow, just need good weather for a little while longer to finish.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say start a thread for sure! Just be prepared for some negative comments but who cares. So the microinverters are on the roof, their output is combined on a single 240VAC cable back to your panel, put a new breaker in and that's it?

edit or just post updates here, it is "solar power" thread

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say start a thread for sure! Just be prepared for some negative comments but who cares. So the microinverters are on the roof, their output is combined on a single 240VAC cable back to your panel, put a new breaker in and that's it?

edit or just post updates here, it is "solar power" thread

Yeah pretty much, it's not an overly complex setup, hardest part is that our house is a 2 story with a walk out basement, so the peak of the roof is ~35ft off the ground. This also means its harder to pull a cable through the house, but we did manage to find a return air passage that runs from just below the attic to the basement that should do the trick. Also once this is all done the City will need to come and inspect the wiring, and ATCO will have to replace the meter for a bi-directional unit that will pay us for the power we produce. The one odd thing with the City of Grande Prairie is they require the install to be approved by a structural engineer for the extra weight on the roof, they could care less about the thousands of pounds of snow in the winter but a few hundred pounds spread over the entire roof requires an engineer.

The simplicity of these systems is what makes them reliable, the panels are solid state with no moving parts, all the electrical components are standard issue that are used in millions of homes across Canada, the most unreliable part is the inverters, but those have proven to be very reliable as well, and if not they are covered under warranty for 25 years.

The worst things that could happen would be a power surge that could fry the inverters, a lightening strike that could fry the whole system, or extremely large hail that would break the glass on the panels.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can understand the basis of the structural assessment requirement, the snow load is already designed in but now you are adding new structure. Does seem a little overkill though considering how light and distributed the panel weight would be.

I never realized these microinverters had such smarts and web communication built in. I browsed a bit on APsystems website and definitely looks like this is big business in the southern US. Bunch of new regulations around "rapid shutdown" requirements came into play Jan 1 in some states.

Sounds like the system comes with a software app so you can monitor things?

Top Bottom