Credit Cards

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First, I don't want the cash only guys here to hijack. Thanks.

Life is changing for us and our RBC WestJet card isn't worth it for us anymore. Westjet has changed and the perks of the card are less than the fee pretty much.

Some online research shows that AMEX Cobalt with another World Elite card as a backup where AMEX isn't accepted is the way to go...preferably a low or zero annual fee one.

Anyone have any insight or suggestions.

We are thinking AMEX Cobalt and maybe the Brim World Elite

We probably do 50,000-75,000 a year on cards and looking to maximize returns

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like my Avion platinum, get lots of points, an cash in for all sorts of items in the Avion rewards app, or gift cards or for flights. But there is a fee, I get more back than the fee every year so not worried about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what others have to say. I'd had a look about a month ago to see if there was something better than what I have. I did not end up switching. I'm the opposite of you - I have a world elite as primary with amex backup.
Things appear to be quite standardized now, even between different cc brands. Typically 1 point per dollar with a 2x or 5x on select purchases (typically fuel and restaurants) as I'm sure you found out.
The only standouts that I noticed are the amex Platinum that gets you access to airport lounges all over the world and some other hotel perks, but it is $700 annually. There's a couple free 9% & 13% interest cards.
I'm fortunate enough to have an old 'Choice Rewards' card that is no longer offered but is still honored at 2pts/1$ on everything with no point limit. Redeemable as reward items, travel or cash.

Last edited:

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My WestJet card just renewed so as I am updating all my payments decided to start looking around. I also agree that WestJet has fallen behind some of their competitors. I’ve narrowed my search down to:

- Amex Platinum
- Amex Cobalt
- BMO Eclipse Infinite Privilege (Visa)
- Desjardin Odyssey Infinite Privilege (Visa)

Interested what others are finding as well if I missed anything!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First, I don't want the cash only guys here to hijack. Thanks.

Life is changing for us and our RBC WestJet card isn't worth it for us anymore. Westjet has changed and the perks of the card are less than the fee pretty much.

Some online research shows that AMEX Cobalt with another World Elite card as a backup where AMEX isn't accepted is the way to go...preferably a low or zero annual fee one.

Anyone have any insight or suggestions.

We are thinking AMEX Cobalt and maybe the Brim World Elite

We probably do 50,000-75,000 a year on cards and looking to maximize returns

Can I ask what your not liking about the west jet card anymore? You kinda talked about it but wondered if it was alot better.
I know the companion voucher has gone up, especially for the world elite card holders.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the Triangle card, it is also the only CC where you can pay your house taxes and water sewer garbage with.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at ditching my RBC WestJet card as well, just don't use the perks. My other card is from Collabria through my Credit Union and it is 1pt/$ but redeemable as a bill credit in addition to items or gift cards. It works out to 1% cash back if you use the bill credit.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some banks will pay your annual fee for you. I'm with BMO and my everyday banking plan will pay up to $150 of credit card annual fees. I have a World Elite cashback mastercard with $120 annual fee but they refund it about a month later. My plan fee for that bank account is $30 a month but they also credit me for that that as long as I have $5k in my account. So no fee credit card and no fee banking for me.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have Westjet Elite and enjoy travel and vacations. I am hoping this gets completed and approved soon. Hopefully use Westjet points for more options on vacations.

This was March 2022 and not finished yet.

WestJet and Sunwing announced today that they have reached a definitive agreement under which the WestJet Group of companies will acquire Sunwing Vacations and Sunwing Airlines. The transaction will bring together two distinctly Canadian travel and tourism success stories to deliver new travel options and greater value for travellers in the rapidly expanding leisure and work-from-anywhere travel markets. The combination will enable both companies to protect and create jobs and rebuild strength in the Canadian travel industry at a critical time.

Following the close of the transaction, a new tour operating business unit will be created under the WestJet Group, to include both Sunwing Vacations and WestJet Vacations Inc., and will be led by Sunwing CEO Stephen Hunter. Sunwing's current shareholders will become equity holders in the WestJet Group.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now if someone suggest a fantastic card with perks. good bye Westjet card for me.

Thanks for a great thread.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just did mine in January. Went with a Scotia Momentum Visa. 4% on groceries, 2% on gas, 1% on everything else. Cash back. Points suck.

$120/year, but first year is waived and get $200 back if I spent $2k in the first 2 months.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can I ask what your not liking about the west jet card anymore? You kinda talked about it but wondered if it was alot better.
I know the companion voucher has gone up, especially for the world elite card holders.

Our life has changed. I have a 1.5 year old. We bought an acreage and have pets and soon to be animals. We can travel like we used to when we were DINKS.

The fee went up $20 a year and depending on what you're using it for, the price you pay for fees, airport fees, taxes etc, the companion pass is almost valueless. Maybe if you were traveling overseas or something but when I flew to New Brunswick, my ticket was 800 and my wives was 600 plus the pass...yes I save on the baggage fees but that is once a year now and unless you buy the lowest flight with no cancellations etc, one bag is free anyway.

That said, I'm looking for a card more tailored to our new style. More points for bill payments haha. More points for groceries. More points for fuel.

I think westjet is only like 0.5% unless you fly(with Westjet) a lot and get up to silver or higher

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the cibc dividend visa 4% on gas and groceries, 2% for dinning, transportation,
And 1% on everything else.
Cost $120 per year but if you have X number if $ investment with them it is free.
Works out good, real cash back, not points or miles crap.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just did mine in January. Went with a Scotia Momentum Visa. 4% on groceries, 2% on gas, 1% on everything else. Cash back. Points suck.

$120/year, but first year is waived and get $200 back if I spent $2k in the first 2 months.

I’ve had this card for years and look annually to try and find another that would be better, haven’t found one yet. Cash back is best for me and this is consistently the best card overall I find.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have an AMEX card that has been quite good for us. Odd time not accepted, but not as bad as I was expecting. That Cobalt card gets rated really well. Other card we have is the C-Tire World Elite MasterCard. C-Tire points add up real fast. I often end up leaving C-Tire without paying a cent for the things we buy there.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I use this card for business and personal.
The points actually link together so I benefit from both cards on the same program. Last year I would estimate we got around $4000 cash back between both cards

Top Bottom