Solar Power

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quite frankly Albertan's get screwed on what we could make from oil and gas royalties. The royalties are on a sliding scale, so the lower the price of oil goes the lower the royalty rates are, its no wonder the American oil companies selling oil to the US are opposed to the reduction in oil output that started today. The lower they can keep the price of oil by overproducing the more their US divisions make because they pay less royalties and corporate taxes in Alberta and Canada. Once the oil gets to a US refinery it is then sold at full price for a huge profit.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
None of the cost for the 901 wind mills is available to see or their subsidies as well as the solar arrays in BC where they diverted construction money into a solar farm hiding the cost, the wind mill power generation from BC is not available to see, Solar power has been at 0 for months now. My comment about hydrogen is because of the break through they discovered in last few months. How much is true or BS ..not sure. Lithium Ion batteries not sure they are even remotely close to being called green, lets sweep that one under the rug.

That seems to be an issue in BC for sure, Alberta not as much. Realistically does the BC public know what any of the power generating units in the province truly cost? Look at the whole issue of Site C, so many people questioned whether the extra capacity was even needed, if the system was more transparent it might not have been such an issue.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quite frankly Albertan's get screwed on what we could make from oil and gas royalties. The royalties are on a sliding scale, so the lower the price of oil goes the lower the royalty rates are, its no wonder the American oil companies selling oil to the US are opposed to the reduction in oil output that started today. The lower they can keep the price of oil by overproducing the more their US divisions make because they pay less royalties and corporate taxes in Alberta and Canada. Once the oil gets to a US refinery it is then sold at full price for a huge profit.

True to a point but unrelated to solar power

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know there was talk of natural gas for power generation. The problem is it will never re-create the workforce needed in the same plant as a coal fired facility. There’s no doubt about it with out coal tumbler and grande cache have slowed up significantly.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are importing power into BC so Site C was needed. It would have cost 8 billion but the NDP ballooned that figure with their red tape. Most dams last 100 years though.https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/hold-smugness-tesla-might-just-worse-environment-know/

I'm not arguing in any way shape or form that site c was needed, but many did.

As for that article has anyone done the same analysis on an ICE powered car either? The platinum in the catalyst and exhaust filters, how about the noxious solvents that are poured into the tank every time it is filled. Or watch gold rush and see the giant holes that are dug in the ground for a gold ring or a couple gold bars in a safe.

Battery recycling technology is moving forward, it won't be long and Lithium battery will be like a lead acid one where most of the old ones are recycled and new batteries are made mostly of recycled materials.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought Tumbler and Grande Cache provided metallurgical coal?

I know there was talk of natural gas for power generation. The problem is it will never re-create the workforce needed in the same plant as a coal fired facility. There’s no doubt about it with out coal tumbler and grande cache have slowed up significantly.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lead Acid batteries can be recycled and are worth lots... Lithium.. so far is not friendly to make or recycle. One swedish study said just making the batteries were equivalent to 8.1 years of CO2 emissions of a regular car.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lead Acid batteries can be recycled and are worth lots... Lithium.. so far is not friendly to make or recycle. One swedish study said just making the batteries were equivalent to 8.1 years of CO2 emissions of a regular car.

That will change as we move away from fossil based fuels, its a chicken and egg thing, there is no reason to build large solar farms without electric cars to use the energy, and we need clean sources of energy to build the batteries so manufacturing of them has a smaller impact.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing is remotely clean about solar panels or lithium batteries, or will it ever be.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
None of the cost for the 901 wind mills is available to see or their subsidies as well as the solar arrays in BC where they diverted construction money into a solar farm hiding the cost, the wind mill power generation from BC is not available to see, Solar power has been at 0 for months now. My comment about hydrogen is because of the break through they discovered in last few months. How much is true or BS ..not sure. Lithium Ion batteries not sure they are even remotely close to being called green, lets sweep that one under the rug.

How is solar producing 0? Did the sun quit shining recently?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is solar producing 0? Did the sun quit shining recently?

ReRead Post #76 for some reason BC posts the power out put from our solar plant....sweet f-all or very low for the huge money spent on it.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ReRead Post #76 for some reason BC posts the power out put from our solar plant....sweet f-all or very low for the huge money spent on it.

I prefer to work off real numbers and facts than emotions. Solar is not a get rich quick scheme. It’s a long term play. There are no moving parts and very little maintenance. Most components are 20 years or more on the warranty. What is your education in relation to electricity? I am a journeyman electrician and find a lot of your posts related to electricity to be ignorant and misinformed.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well how much more real can it get than the actual power output from solar power for any given day of the year you want. All you have to do is click on the link, i am sure they will close this down soon because most people have this idea solar is producing all kinds of power based on BS... not facts. They even have a little picture showing how many hours it will run one light bulb from the power of that day, for people who do not understand power.... but going there today ...no more info from Dec 10 on.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well how much more real can it get than the actual power output from solar power for any given day of the year you want. All you have to do is click on the link, i am sure they will close this down soon because most people have this idea solar is producing all kinds of power based on BS not facts.

You cherry picked a day when the modules were likely covered in 2 feet of snow and close to the shortest day of the year. Give me a break. That’s like me saying “HOLY **** THIS GAS PLANTS PRODUCTION IS HORRIBLE!” during a one week scheduled shutdown.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The day i picked was the actual day i posted to the thread, go ahead and pick what ever day you want from the whole year and post those numbers. Or go back day by day for months and open your eyes. Make sure and read the link before that and all the effort one person made to expose the truth. Diverting funds .

Last edited:
Top Bottom