Credit Cards

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WestJet card sucks, had it twice before, probably the worst point redeeming system I’ve seen, you’re really missing on money using that card. I’m running AMEX Cobalt as primary and MBNA Mastercard as 2nd. AMEX works for 80% of my purchases, accepted most places except Costco, Loblaws, A&W and random smaller places.

AMEX is doing 5% food/drinks/grocery, 3% streaming , 2% travel/transit up to $30k with rest to 1%…. Currently doing 1 to 1 transfer of points to Amazon credits to burn up points vs travel stuff, you can also do Aeroplan and bunch of others. Really quite amazing cash back but only a $30k 5% match so easy to burn up then only doing 1% so have a backup card to split with.

MBNA is 5% on food/drinks/grocery, digital media, membership, utility bills up to $50k. The
point system isn’t as good and the interface to book sucks, kinda wish I kept my capital one Mastercard as that was the best point redeeming system I’ve seen for masticated.

No question get the AMEX Cobalt but make sure you have a visa or Mastercard for secondary. Do the math and you might see paying for a card is well worth it in points vs a free card, even for a 2nd card.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WestJet card sucks, had it twice before, probably the worst point redeeming system I’ve seen, you’re really missing on money using that card. I’m running AMEX Cobalt as primary and MBNA Mastercard as 2nd. AMEX works for 80% of my purchases, accepted most places except Costco, Loblaws, A&W and random smaller places.

AMEX is doing 5% food/drinks/grocery, 3% streaming , 2% travel/transit up to $30k with rest to 1%…. Currently doing 1 to 1 transfer of points to Amazon credits to burn up points vs travel stuff, you can also do Aeroplan and bunch of others. Really quite amazing cash back but only a $30k 5% match so easy to burn up then only doing 1% so have a backup card to split with.

MBNA is 5% on food/drinks/grocery, digital media, membership, utility bills up to $50k. The
point system isn’t as good and the interface to book sucks, kinda wish I kept my capital one Mastercard as that was the best point redeeming system I’ve seen for masticated.

No question get the AMEX Cobalt but make sure you have a visa or Mastercard for secondary. Do the math and you might see paying for a card is well worth it in points vs a free card, even for a 2nd card.
I wanted the gold card just to throw down a metal card when I was paying for stuff but the Cobalt has way better rewards.

Cobalt is in the mail for my wife and I and we are shopping for our backup mastercard

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wanted the gold card just to throw down a metal card when I was paying for stuff but the Cobalt has way better rewards.

Cobalt is in the mail for my wife and I and we are shopping for our backup mastercard

I agree on the Cobalt but it’s that mastercard that I’m struggling with. Converting points to airlines they have you bent over the barrel.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree on the Cobalt but it’s that mastercard that I’m struggling with. Converting points to airlines they have you bent over the barrel.
Yeah I'm thinking a cashback card or a grocery card or something. We dont fly often any more but we still try to eat

Outdoors

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Costco credit card,they paid us over $700 to use it last year, didn’t cost anything other than membership,but fuel savings pays for that many times over too.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much do you spend at Costco. Average home owner or business purchases

Top Bottom