Repair Work

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
Had a bit of a wreck with my sled and hoping to get some advice as to the best way to go about getting it fixed. The sled took some damage when the trailer I was hauling it in ended up on its roof in the ditch. Lots of damage to the top side, track got punctured, gauges malfunctioning. I'm gonna go through insurance as there's definitely enough to justify it and I want to make sure there's no hidden damage that goes unnoticed. What I'm wondering is, if I take it to a ski doo dealership to have the repair work done, is there any chance that they could try to void my warranty due to the accident? I'd like to take it back to where I bought it to have the work done because they're supposed to have a good shop, just don't want to screw myself in the long run for my warranty. There is a good sled mechanic in town here too but I assume any actual brp shop is going to know a sled this new a little better.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your dealer does the work it should be warranty approved. If you do the work your self it will effect warranty.

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
more then likely insurence will write it off if there is as much damage as I am picturing. Doesn't take much for insurance to write sleds off actually. then they will give you the option of buing it back if you like. whatr kinda sled and what year?

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
Ok that makes sense about the dealer with warranty. Took it down to the local doo place this morning to get an estimate for the repair cost, should get an answer from them soon. Noticed this morning looking at my sled that there is actually some damage to the tunnel as well from the accident, which obviously means some big $$$ if they need to replace that too. $2800 just for the tunnel plus the labor involved in tearing most of the machine apart to replace it. Also to add to the list of damages, steering post got stripped up top and needs replacement as it won't stay properly set anymore, along with the track, probably 80% of the plastics up front, gauge cluster and the seat cover, engine seems to be fine though. The sled is a 2014 summit xm sp 800. Honestly with the tunnel damage being a factor now I kind of hope they do write it off. Would be nice to buy it back for parts though if the salvage price was right.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw that truck and trailer in the ditch. What kind of tires are you running?

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
Had all-terrains on the truck, traction had seemed good on icy roads before. Honestly not really sure what happened, we were going really slow taking our time and suddenly the trailer just swung us around. Wasn't much I could do once it started spinning us. I'm just glad none of us were hurt, could have been a lot worse situation than it was.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine had a wrinkle in the tunnel of his near new xp and it was a write off.

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
Well looks like you guys were right, just found out today the sled is a write off, actually quote came in even higher to fix than I had thought. Now for the negotiating with the insurance payout part. After that, might just have to see what I can snowcheck for a 2015 summit...

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in Picts of it and maybe buying it back through you of price was right

Sent from my iPhone using

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
I'd be interested in Picts of it and maybe buying it back through you of price was right

Sent from my iPhone using

I've actually considered that if the price is decent. I imagine it should be considering how high the repair quote came in. First priority is making sure I get what I should for a payout on it. Should find out the salvage price next week some time.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
let us know the buy back price ...

I'm interested, not to buy it, but just wot they say ...

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
Finally got everything sorted out with insurance. Ended up buying my sled back for $4500, thought that was pretty good considering its still rideable. Seemed like a waste to just let it go to salvage. Most of what needs to be replaced is just plastics, mechanically everything seems good. Dent in the tunnel is barely even noticeable so probably just bang that out and call it good. Gauges seem to be good now, guessing there was just some moisture in behind from the trim breaking. It definitely can still be a great sled just not sure if I'm gonna keep it or not yet.

Top Bottom