Question for all you Hardcore BackCountry Riders...

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all the training in the world and equipment can only help if common sense is added to the mix...there are way too many variables involved to say that one will never get caught in an avy ...you could take all of the precautions...tale the classes practice with the equipment and get wiped out by an avy on the way home in the truck..

stay off the slopes and play in the meadows, enjoy

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again some good points guys.....the group I ride with is all on the same page as many groups you guy's ride with.. if it is bad, or one guy doesnot like the situation we donot go in that area or at all.....when the avy happened on sunday in Hazler,,,, we were riding Kakwa.... when my mom found out after the avy she almost had a heart attack when she heard I was in Kakwa sledding still.....she's having the hardest time,,, this is the second family friend/boss she has lost in the sledding sport:(...but like alot of peeps have said already it is alot of common sense and staying away from the avy areas..

Anyways keep the thoughts coming guys.....I think this is a very good thread, with some very useful points...

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on!! There is lots of space out there and we don't need to keep taking these ridiculous risks. Lets pay extra attention where we play. I believe most if not all of us that have been riding in the hills know were to play and were to stay away from. Would you walk done the street with no clothes on when it's -40? Would you send your kids to school with no shoes when it's cold? Do you slow down when your driving in difficult conditions? To me it's the same. Lets use all the common sense we can muster up when your riding in the hills. It will same your life. We need to start riding using our heads and lets get off ego train. P$#$OD

.08rider

Reaction score
I agree with all!! I rode a way different style before the beautifull blue eyes of my 6 year old little girl wells up with tears and says "when will you be home daddy?" Soon baby girl soon! It is a tough one for sure, ride another day. For me it is going with some bud's a few lies a few beers, oh ya some riding, pack up and home to the family. Safe all round riding for me, some might call me a pussy,but I have fun no matter how extreme I ride, as a single man it was nuts, now I leave the nuts in the purse and have some fun!
Be safe all, ride with care, be a family man. My wife ask's me to be carefull, and she wants to ask me not to go, she won't but she wants to. I work alot of hours and look forward to letting go, but she knows my heart and soul are with her and my baby girl. She knows I am safe and take care. I ride sober and safe. the .08 is where I am the rest of the time gone! God I love BEER! COLD BEER! Warm BEER, FULL BEER, YOUR BEER, CALL ME WHAT EVER YOU WANT, JUST CALL ME WHEN YOU HAVE BEER!!

mudlight

Reaction score
Do to the most recent avy...Hazler BC... My Wife and family have informed me they wish me not to go backcounrty rider do to the extreme conditions...So my question to you all fellow S&M's is this..

You have all the gear, avy training, spot, abs backpack, wear it and no how to use it, you always check avy reports and you never venture anywheres were it looks like it could be dangerous.... This Hazler Avy hit me close to home... So my Wife, Mother and kids have asked me to stop riding in the mountains because this year is a terrible yr for snow conditions in all areas of BC.....So what would you people do in this situation, please think about this and give an honest answer, it would be interesting to see how many would double think this......

Thanks for Your Time....

I think the best answer I can give is for all of us fellow sledders[ IMO] is to foremost to use common sense. You know it's gonna be a bad year for avalanches right util the end of the sledding season. It's just plain and simple the way mother nature delt us the early weather and we can't change that. If it looks bad and you think your at risk, don't chance it. It doesn't make you less of an individual but let's face it, there's lots of challenging other areas to ride without taking the risk of tackeling long unstable steep slopes ect... IE boondock the tree's wear the snow at least has the oppurtunity to adhear to somthing other than slipperyrock faces and smooth slopes with a high wind factor. I am not gonna stay out of the back country but I will stay out of area's that are high risk. It definately gets one thinking that's for sure but I think we all just have to be more responsible with our own judgement.Don't ride with those who will put you at risk because you have the most important decision in the matter, DO I WANT TO RIDE ANTHER DAY?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
..... some might call me a pussy.....

No one should ever call you a pussy for wanting to see your kids grow up.

Very good responses here.

All I will say is this - My wife loves and trusts me and because of that she never asks me to stay home. But because I love her to much to see her worry, I will stay home without her ever asking.

Is one day on the hill worth the rest of your life to you?

theslam19_98

Reaction score
all the training in the world and equipment can only help if common sense is added to the mix...there are way too many variables involved to say that one will never get caught in an avy ...you could take all of the precautions...tale the classes practice with the equipment and get wiped out by an avy on the way home in the truck..

stay off the slopes and play in the meadows, enjoy

This is like my dad keeps telling me and my wife. when animals attack the show, they said they new every thing about the animal, they were the best thing never seen any thing bad come from the animal . well wild is still wild and it can turn. you can know every thing in the world to know about a bear and you can sit in a cage with him a 100 times and nothing happens. but one day in the same spot something could happen .

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you could go on for ever about this question/topic till the cows come home. i think that if you ride smart, ride equiped and know the conditions, them you have done everything that one can do to put you on the other side of the house! i work in the oilpatch in west central alberta and probablly have a higher risk of getting hurt or worse every day. i tell my wife that every day i go out the door i might not come home! when its your number its your number, just don t go looking for it. when i was in high school a guy that a grew up with died in an avy right out our back door! that rocked our town and i think about it every time i go out riding. you could ride all day, weekend, month, life time and choke on a good peice of steak at supper and its all over! just my two cents!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my opinion is the same as alot of peoples. common sence. dont give into pressure from other riders. teach newer riders about the hazards and point out things they might not notice. when the risk is this high i keep it to the trees and the shallow slopes. i also make sure im not in a runout zone aswell. CONSTANTLY SURVEY THE SITUATION.
avalanches are bizzare. i have seen 10ft of snow over trails up to the mountains that just blasted through the trees and no one could have seen it coming. being safe as you can be there is still a chance. it can happen in places you would never think of.

just because you use common sence and play it super safe doesnt eliminate you. what if you saw someone in trouble...i couldnt stand by and watch and that automatically puts you in a bad position. although if bad enough you should withdraw for your own sake.

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i don`t want to say much.But the clock has 2 hands and when you`r time is up. I do not like to say this but it happens.NO mader What.

BLUE JEWEL

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.holysmokeinn.ca
I Answered this Question on My Thread also...

BLUE JEWEL / BLUE RIVER

I say the Mountains are here to Stay...Live another Day to be able to PLAY !

Lots of POWDER in the Valley Bottoms....

I have some real Good Pics of some GREAT POW !

I had Team CF ! Their Wives said Oh No....

They came out and did EVERYTHING RIGHT !

They gave Me the Great Pics to POST !

Remember there are TOP'S of the Mountains....also

the Valley Bottom !

Test Your Skill in the Dense Trees and DEEP POWDER !

Sooooo Remember there is ALOT Of Great Places to Ride from Flat to EXTREME !

Read Directions ( Updates ) and Come on Out and PLAY SAFE !

Check out My Thread if You like...

I sent Pics to ALL the Wives while their Husbands , Brothers and Uncles were out Playing SAFE !

BLUE JEWEL is ALL about SAFETY FIRST!

Get some Solid Local Info. Read Snow and Mud ....You are good to GO !

Take a Guide if You are Not sure....( MY OPINION ONLY )

Last edited:

mtnluvr

Reaction score
My family is in the same mindset and i don't blame them because it is fear of the unknown to them. I have made it a priority to educate myself about these dangers and equip myself with all of the necessary gear as well as with extra gear for those who may show up unprepared. However, if you are the only one who has been proactive in your group all of the training in the world does you no good under a pile of snow. I am constantly after my riding buddies to get trained and practice techniques with beacons etc. because if things go south they are your only lifeline. I am confident in my own abilities but you have to be just as confident in your partners. We also have a rule that if after evaluating conditions, if a single person in the group says "NOGO" that is the end of discussion. NO EXCEPTIONS!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing that is a good idea in my opinion is every once in a while during the year to practice beacon use.. What the best way to do it i think is when your unloading your sleds someone hides a beacon without anyone knowing where it is.. Then before you fire sleds up tell your riding buddies that it's buried somewhere and to go find it, It is a good refresher for people on how there beacons work so that in a pressure situation they'll know how to use.. There is no substitute for practice with your equipment..

brad.s

Reaction score
the sport we choose to do you can get hrt or killed in lots of diffrent ways . buts its what we all love doing. i will ride no matter what and i always think about the avalanches. the way i look at things like that is if its going to happen then so be it. i choose this sport beucase i love it and i wont stop untill i have to.

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do to the most recent avy...Hazler BC... My Wife and family have informed me they wish me not to go backcounrty rider do to the extreme conditions...So my question to you all fellow S&M's is this..

You have all the gear, avy training, spot, abs backpack, wear it and no how to use it, you always check avy reports and you never venture anywheres were it looks like it could be dangerous.... This Hazler Avy hit me close to home... So my Wife, Mother and kids have asked me to stop riding in the mountains because this year is a terrible yr for snow conditions in all areas of BC.....So what would you people do in this situation, please think about this and give an honest answer, it would be interesting to see how many would double think this......

Thanks for Your Time....

Excellent Post!!, as a beginner riding in the mountains, I do have reservations about going out this year, Im taking a AVI course in a week.........it's good to read posts like this and get advice from experience riders on all the precautions....................RIDE SAFE! or stay home.....

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife asked me the same thing and I assured her that we will only go to the meadows and safe spots some of the time you have to pass some dangerous spots to get there but we do it one at a time a little above idle I am talking just on the trail. I grew up in BC have bin skiing since I was 4 have taken several avalanche coarses, more People need to take them I beleive there would be a lot less fatalities.
This is an online course I would recomend to every one and you will be surprised how you think after you know what to look out for. And involve your spouse as you do it to give them some knowledge and hopefully some comfort. :twocents:

Hey Taz thanks so much for the link. Haven't taken the the course yet but will ASAP. I'm a bit disapointed in myself. Took the the pre course quiz and only score 7 out of 10. real eye opener, as i took Darcy Swederis's one day avalanche awareness training. I've learned a lot through fist hand experience but I must say that in the 15 years that I've been sledding in the mountaians I have never sean anything remotely close to the Sparwood incident. I've triggered a small slide in Revey & witnessed 13 little slides in one day at Crowsnest Pass. Hearing and reading about the loss of our brothers on sleds this year has really made me think about sledding in the mountains. I was planning to go again in Feb. but will have to revisit that decision. From my experience I don't see things improving in the near future and may even concider cancelling any trips in the spring. I've got the gear, some formal training and years of expeience but the mountains will be there next year. Question is, If I make the wrong choice today, will I be here next year to enjoy the sport that I live for.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excelent posts and thoughts by all. Our group allways tries to ride safe and leaves an area if anyone has any concerns no matter how small they are. Your gut feeling is usually right. I have rode with groups in the past (who I refuse to ride with anymore) that use peer pressure to keep a group moving along into Questionable areas. If you see anyone who pressures others to go farther when one person is reluctant slap him on the side of the helmet hard. I have even seen groups leave a fellow sledder behind when he won't follow. This is a buddy sport. whoever you leave the truck with comes back to the truck together. If your with a group that pressures you they are not friends. There are lots of good guys to sled with that use a lot of common sense. Find them, ride hard,ride safe,and have fun. THE MOUNTAINS ARE ONLY AS DANGEROUS AS YOU MAKE THEM!!!!! This goes for Vehicles,ATV's, Boats,Virtually any sports,and any other activity you can involve yourself in. Thanks for starting a good thread Scotford

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excelent posts and thoughts by all. Our group allways tries to ride safe and leaves an area if anyone has any concerns no matter how small they are. Your gut feeling is usually right. I have rode with groups in the past (who I refuse to ride with anymore) that use peer pressure to keep a group moving along into Questionable areas. If you see anyone who pressures others to go farther when one person is reluctant slap him on the side of the helmet hard. I have even seen groups leave a fellow sledder behind when he won't follow. This is a buddy sport. whoever you leave the truck with comes back to the truck together. If your with a group that pressures you they are not friends. There are lots of good guys to sled with that use a lot of common sense. Find them, ride hard,ride safe,and have fun. THE MOUNTAINS ARE ONLY AS DANGEROUS AS YOU MAKE THEM!!!!! This goes for Vehicles,ATV's, Boats,Virtually any sports,and any other activity you can involve yourself in. Thanks for starting a good thread Scotford
Pull his lid off first. saves you knuckles and realy gets the message across.

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the posts you peeps,,, some realy good thoughts and points made,,,,VipertoNytro...very well put bud....Yesterday was a hard day as we layed Hal to rest,,, the boys had his sled on stage and the talk was alot about should have, would have, maybe we could have..... after I started this thread I was looking for what fellow sledders felt about this yrs situation with snow conditions,,,, and the best think and pretty much a common response here is,
Educate Yourself....
Ride with guys you trust...
Common Sense....
If you don't like it..don't go and if anyone in your group calls you a puss..then you shouldnot be riding with that person..

So the body count of avy fatalities is getting high early in the season...Please Everybody...RIDE WITH COMMON SENSE THIS YEAR...THAT BIG CLIMB,CHUTE,WATERFALL...WILL STILL BE THERE NEXT YREAR!!!

Top Bottom