Question for all you Hardcore BackCountry Riders...

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do to the most recent avy...Hazler BC... My Wife and family have informed me they wish me not to go backcounrty rider do to the extreme conditions...So my question to you all fellow S&M's is this..

You have all the gear, avy training, spot, abs backpack, wear it and no how to use it, you always check avy reports and you never venture anywheres were it looks like it could be dangerous.... This Hazler Avy hit me close to home... So my Wife, Mother and kids have asked me to stop riding in the mountains because this year is a terrible yr for snow conditions in all areas of BC.....So what would you people do in this situation, please think about this and give an honest answer, it would be interesting to see how many would double think this......

Thanks for Your Time....

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All our families feel the same way, they are concerned that we will be next. I have done everything I could to assure them I am avoiding the bad spots and I ride only with guys that feel the same way. I have been out a number of times under these conditions riding the meadows and deep trails..I miss some of the tough riding but I need to stay alive..I would not quit..at least not yet

diggers

Reaction score
:twocents: let them over hear you talking to your buddies about your concerns when riding in areas that are questionable, or with guys that dont always ride smart. we just cancelled a trip this weekend and told the fam why. great question sometime love hurts, be thankful that it is you that gets the tough love.:)

WesG

Reaction score
Facing the same questions here as we were in Hasler on Sunday. Wifey is scared sh!tless and the kiddo is too young to really know about slides yet.... I went and bought a bunch of race fuel to run in the tapex thinking it would be a great year, but I am not going on anything remotely hillish or near any slide paths/overhead stuff untill this snow settles right out. Probably have some smelly fuel for the rhino. Seriously tossing around getting a smaller boondocking sled to meadow/tree run with.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is starting out to be a terrible year for mountain riding, however one can still go and ride safe. You just don't go to the extreme places,our group has deffinatly toned it down this year and will probably ride this way for the rest of the year.It is only a ride and not worth risking your life!!! Mountains aren't moving any time soon so there will be other days to go hard. I still plan on taking out the entire family this year and I deffinatly will not be putting them at risk. Highmarking and terrain traps will always pose the greatest risk to riders, it just comes down to the amount of risk you are willing to take. Do you really want your wife to cash that last big check?????

162SKIDOO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well...truth be said i used to ride real hard fast and alittle dangerous. I prefered to be the seek and destroy guy for the past 4 or 5 years now , just for the sake of the thrill and to make trail so the group new it was ok to go.
I've since experienced the loss of a riding partner and friend last spring and have had a few scary times on the slopes- more so with the big machines almost everyone seems to have now . I like to think i can handle my machine ok but mother nature can run up and slap the SH*^ out of you pretty quick and it wont matter how you ride. I had a run in with her a couple weeks ago with one of her rocks--- ON A TRAIL ... DOH
In the end i love to ride and still ride hard- BUT- i do it in areas that aren't as big when conditions are bad and have learned the hills will be there next time And i want to see them again.
Just stay out of the regions that you know are dangerous and the ones you think are ok be more cautious.
It's a funny thing how when you ride your mind or gut feeling says to stay the hell off something and we go anyway....trust your gut and do your snow tests and enjoy the day .
One other understanding now with our crew is that if someone dosen't want to hit something or thinks it's no good we have enough marbles to say no or handle being told to stay off. I think this alone has probably saved some bad days...i no it has....Thanks to Taz and Bigdoo for shaking their heads no and smackin my helmut.....Good safety net.
Keep riding---ride smarter---safer---
Just my 2 cents.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We read the weather reports and anything more than 2 considerables on the avy report and we stay home. I'm/were beliver's "live to sled another day"

snowzombie

Reaction score
Considering all the recent avalanche activity and unfortunate deaths can any of us venturing into the backcountry honestly say they are not having some second thoughts.
I used to tell my wife the most dangerous part the trip was being on the highway there and back, that was the only security I could offer her. She always made sure no matter how busy I was trying to get ready and out the door I spent a few precious moments with the kids. I believe I took her concern to lightly and when I had to explain to her that I was in an avalanche I felt in a way I had let her down. That ended my riding for that season but I have enjoyed many more trips since, now this season more than any other the decision becomes even harder. After enduring a heartbreaking night this past September when one of our group was killed in an ATV accident the reactions of loved ones suffering through the loss is still fresh in my mind. So for myself given the situation whether I think its safe or not if my family was to ask that I not go, out of consideration to them I would be staying home.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do to the most recent avy...Hazler BC... My Wife and family have informed me they wish me not to go backcounrty rider do to the extreme conditions...So my question to you all fellow S&M's is this..

You have all the gear, avy training, spot, abs backpack, wear it and no how to use it, you always check avy reports and you never venture anywheres were it looks like it could be dangerous.... This Hazler Avy hit me close to home... So my Wife, Mother and kids have asked me to stop riding in the mountains because this year is a terrible yr for snow conditions in all areas of BC.....So what would you people do in this situation, please think about this and give an honest answer, it would be interesting to see how many would double think this......

Thanks for Your Time....

I tell people the following over and over and over again......

YOUR BIGGEST RISK IN ANY OUTDOOR ADVENTURE IS THE DRIVE YOU MAKE TO THE START OF THE TRAIL!

It's a fact....you are more likely to be killed or injured while driving to and from the activity. My wife too is leary of the mountains, escpecially now with a youngun. However, I have take her to Fernie and riden the meadows, and we have backcountry camped. She has a better understanding of the risks. Educating the family and yes, respecting their wishes sometimes, is the key.

I liken this to bear attacks. More people are killed driving to the trail head than are attacked by bears each year. Thing is the accident does not make for a good news story....unless of course a bear or avalanche were there at the same time.;) Still, it scares the crap out of people, but that's good since those that want to be out there will have (or should have) educated themselves.

TrailCrusader

Reaction score

Thanks for Your Time....

I would take your families advice and follow the "better safe than sorry route"
The avalanche would probably kill you fairly quick with it's mighty impact and choke you peacefully as you, in the dark wonder what happened and why you cannot move or breathe. (I am speaking without experience)
The pain, both mentally and financial your family and friends have for years
after would make me think three times about a risky adventure. I personally want to see my daughter grow up rather than ride in a area of concern.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For years I have been riding with my father inlaw. From early on he was careful not to take us into dangerous situations both for our safety and to ensure the women folk felt secure in our adventures. As a result I have ridin many miles of trail and played in meadows and small slopes with no pressure to go beyond my limits. Any time either one of us thinks going someplace doesnt look safe we leave - no pressure, no hassles and no problems. We still have tons of fun. This year I plan to do the same - the biggest worry for our family this year is getting caught trying to help someone else out who is caught in a slide. For this I say proceed with caution. Even though it would be unreal to walk away from a slide when you know people are in there I still have to put my life and family first. So going in to help out will no longer be done blindly like I would have done in the past. Now if I go in to help I am going to do it only if I feel safe and hopefully with another rescuer standing by out of the danger zone just incase another slide does occur.

The best protection this year is common sense and riding with people who will settle for conquering the mountain another day.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really want to go ride the mountains as well but I'ld rather come home to sleep in my bed than go to sleep in a snow bank and never wake up. just my 2 cents

sled800r

Reaction score
very good topic over the past 8 years i have spent over 400 days in the moutians the bigist thing i see is that the sleds we all can get too day make it alot easer to get in to the good places putting you and your buds at risk if you take a group out be responsable for the whole group teache them what to look for where to ride take an avy course and at the end of the day dont think that you are safe becase you ride small hills and trees

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off thanks for the responses all...it seems everyone in general is all on the same page as too the extreme conditions this yr...and toning down there mountain riding....i am enjoying the comments and the wife has read the thread also and is seeing the different attitudes and thoughs on this..

Please keep them coming.....

Again Thank-You S&M's for you toughs on this subject...

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
This is a crazy year that has taken its toll on many many families…the repercussions of the carnage leave the hill and travel to the public eye where all our friends and family read or view it and question our need to participate in this seemingly suicidal sport.

I’m not saying my wife and daughter implicitly trust my judgement but they respect it knowing how bad I want to return home. My ask of them is to continue to respect it thus transferring the load of responsibility to myself. That being said if they were to ask me to ‘skip a trip’ AND the conditions were extreme…I’d skip it.

We also have all the gear; ABS, Beacon, Probes, SPoT, GPS, Shovels, Radios etc…as one gent said in a different thread…if you are in a position to use any of the gear above you’ve already made a mistake.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am seeing a comon thread here; Common sense. I am also getting the third degree about going to ride in the mountains but not from my wife but my mother-inlaw (didn't know she cared lol). I have already canceled a trip to the Fernie area this month with my son, just did not feel right about going down there after what happen in December. I am not a big risk taker to begin with but this seasons conditions are playing on my mind and it does not give me a good feeling. Have a couple of trips planned in February and March to Golden and I am hoping the conditions settle down by then or they may become optional trips. You just don't seem to have as much fun or enjoy yourself as much if you have that constant nagging feeling that a wall of snow is about to come crashing down on top of you. One good thing is that we have been able to sled alot more this season closer to home because of the dump of snow we got in December hopefully the chinooks don 't ruin that this week. Sled safe and sled smart.

Billy Boy:cool:

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:nono:YOUR BIGGEST RISK IN ANY OUTDOOR ADVENTURE IS THE DRIVE YOU MAKE TO THE START OF THE TRAIL!

“It's a fact....you are more likely to be killed or injured while driving to and from the activity”
“I liken this to bear attacks. More people are killed driving to the trail head than are attacked by bears each year”.
ZRrrr…I think this needs to be clarified right now before someone else gets killed using your statistics to justify their actions. It is not safer to ride in the backcountry than to drive there. You are making a big mistake by using this old wives tale…You simply can not compare the numbers of backcountry sledding deaths and traffic fatalities nor can you compare grizzly attacks to traffic fatalities and doing so may lead people to a false sense of security. First off traffic collisions are not “accidents”. Collisions are predictable and preventable. Calling a crash an accident implies no one is to blame and that the event was an act of fate. The key is to understand why and how they happen and take action to avoid and prevent them. Actions such as avoiding drinking alcohol stop at stop signs, speed, wearing seatbelts. Avalanches are similar; they are predictable and preventable by avoiding behaviours such as high marking, riding steep terrain, riding when conditions are unstable, etc. Statistically about 10 in every 100,000 drivers will be killed in fatal collisions yet we have had at least 10 sledders killed in the last month and there certainly were not 100,000 sledders riding in the backcountry in that period of time. Of course more people are killed on the roads than are killed by grizzlies! I have traditionally spent the entire fall guiding in grizzly country and see a handful of people. On the drive home I am surrounded by drivers that definitely have a greater chance of being killed by fatal collisions than being killed by a grizzly. They also have a higher risk of being murdered! Everybody needs to stop using this old wives tale. These avalanches much like fatal motor vehicle collisions are predictable and preventable in most cases, if we avoided the terrain that will allow and avalanche you would not be killed by one period. Don’t get me wrong I love to ride the most difficult and challenging terrain and I have a group of very experienced riders I associate with and ride with. We all know the inherit risks even when the snow pack is more stable. We very carefully select where we go and after what has happened this year tread very carefully.

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife asked me the same thing and I assured her that we will only go to the meadows and safe spots some of the time you have to pass some dangerous spots to get there but we do it one at a time a little above idle I am talking just on the trail. I grew up in BC have bin skiing since I was 4 have taken several avalanche coarses, more People need to take them I beleive there would be a lot less fatalities.
This is an online course I would recomend to every one and you will be surprised how you think after you know what to look out for. And involve your spouse as you do it to give them some knowledge and hopefully some comfort. :twocents:

Top Bottom