Powerstroke to cummins conversion

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So they are gayer ???

Mabe its cause dodge and chev have good worth while trucks to do it too.

Not for our retarted daughter ( ford) junk

sent from my htc

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So they are gayer ???

Mabe its cause dodge and chev have good worth while trucks to do it too.

Not for our retarted daughter ( ford) junk

sent from my htc

All stacks are gay.

My unbiased slightly educated opinion is: Both the 7.3 and the 5.9 are fairly indestructible motors. The dodge has a weaker transmission, but the Ford has a weaker fuel delivery system and requires higher oil pressure for that fuel delivery system. The Cummins is cheaper to build power in, but will likely be more expensive to swap in. The ford has displacement and the fact that it is a V-8 on its side. But V8 would be harder to work on. So at the end of the day it's all opinion.

Back to being a biased azzhole.

Built ford tough WITHOUT your tax dollars.

If you can't handle a power stroke you'll just be cummin.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do agree that all stacks on trucks other than 'big' trucks are gay!You want stacks buy a real truck!Anyways the cummins in my dodge seems to be a lot less touchy than buddies that have ford diesels!I have over 600 thousand km on it and only replaced the injector pump about 100 thousand ago!Maybe its a fluke but it has been more reliable than the fords I've been a around!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't like to get into the cummins/PS/d-max pissing matches but anyone that thinks the 7.3 is on par with a 12v needs to get their head examined. The internals in the 7.3 aren't nearly as tough as the 12v and I don't see any advantage to a V8, there is a reason that so many industrial diesels are inline configurations. As for the transmissions the stock 47rh/re is junk but so is the 4R100. The 5R110 is another story, great transmission. Not to mention for swapping the 12v can be as simple as a 3 wire hookup.

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife's uncle up by Hinton has had one now for about 10 yrs. The 7.3 went in his dually so he dropped a 12 valve cummins. He's currently working on his next project truck, a 2002 ish dually crew cab that had a gas guzzler in it and dropping in a 12 valve cummins.

Does he do it him self?

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on here tried or know of someone who has tried doing the cummins convention? I'm thinking of swaping my 6.0 and putting in a 5.9 cummins

Altitude adjustments in red deer has done a few. His personal fummins/fordge is for sale on kijiji. His name is Erik and a really good guy To deal with. Give him a call and I'm sure he could give you some info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Because 7.3s are already in quality trucks, unlike the 5.9.

Hey now 3names, nobody said the Ford wasn't a good truck - I think they look good and really like the interiors. The motors however....sheesh! ;) That's why the Cummins conversions are so popular - you take the best available engine and put in into an otherwise decent truck and drive on happily. I'll try to find this one article on a nice build: Superduty with a common rail 5.9 backed with an Allison 6 speed - would be a lot of guys ultimate setup if we could pick and choose powertrains straight from the factory I believe. Cheers!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey now 3names, nobody said the Ford wasn't a good truck - I think they look good and really like the interiors. The motors however....sheesh! ;) That's why the Cummins conversions are so popular - you take the best available engine and put in into an otherwise decent truck and drive on happily. I'll try to find this one article on a nice build: Superduty with a common rail 5.9 backed with an Allison 6 speed - would be a lot of guys ultimate setup if we could pick and choose powertrains straight from the factory I believe. Cheers!

I 100% agree pisty.

Chev-GMC ride , ford chassis ( front and rear ends ) Cummings engine , and Allison trans.

Drive the chit outa it forever.

sent from my htc

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I 100% agree pisty.

Chev-GMC ride , ford chassis ( front and rear ends ) Cummings engine , and Allison trans.

Drive the chit outa it forever.

sent from my htc

Heck yea! That would be the dream, though if you use a ford front end, that chev/gmc ride is fawked.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heck yea! That would be the dream, though if you use a ford front end, that chev/gmc ride is fawked.
Yeah I don't like ifs. You can keep the allison too, they still break and are by far the most expensive to build. I'd take the 5R110 or a zf6

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far my truck and tranny has proven solid. Engine is a different story. If I do end up dropping a cummins in and my tranny goes I'd get a NADP race transmission. They seem to be bullet proof

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking I might drop in a 12V and swap the head out and replace it with a 24V head. Where is a good place to find a 12V engine?

Top Bottom