argo or sxson tracks

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never tried out an argo 8x8 on tracks in the snow but I have tried tracks on my little 800 sxs and sold them after two trips deep into the bush. Wondering if anyone on here has tried out both and what you think? Looks like the can am backcountry tracks might work ok on a turbo maverick at speed?

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sxs on tracks are not a replacement for a sled. I’m running a boosted 1000 and it goes pretty good but won’t climb or cover ground like a snowmobile.
you can build kits to run the can ams tracks on a Polaris. They are good but are very limited in the back country.
like a sled bigger boost and power will get you places others can’t, simply it’s about track speed but with the gearing your not braking any speed records.

Attachments

• IMG_7753.jpeg
    IMG_7753.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7765.jpeg
    IMG_7765.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7763.jpeg
    IMG_7763.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 88
  • GPTempDownload.jpeg
    GPTempDownload.jpeg
    394.8 KB · Views: 86

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never tried out an argo 8x8 on tracks in the snow but I have tried tracks on my little 800 sxs and sold them after two trips deep into the bush. Wondering if anyone on here has tried out both and what you think? Looks like the can am backcountry tracks might work ok on a turbo maverick at speed?
what are you trying to do?

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just trying to get my dad that's turning 80 fairly soon to our camp way out there. Not looking for a fun ride, i'll leave that to the sleds.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just trying to get my dad that's turning 80 fairly soon to our camp way out there. Not looking for a fun ride, i'll leave that to the sleds.

I’d cancel out an argo if the snow gets deep. They don’t work good in deep snow. To much surface area and they hang up easily. Had argos when my dad trapped and they sucked in the winter. They never had tracks because they don’t work good in water.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would agree with Neil, if he is reasonable physical condition and capable a quad or sxs with tracks is good until you hit mud, if they load up its game over. Argos are more suited where you need to float on bog and you don't have an alternative but it does matter what kind of terrain and distance you want to go as well. Most of the time argos are kind of a last resort for us as the maintenance and upkeep is through the roof.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a ranger on tracks. Gets around the prairie fields well but can get it stuck on a hill with a loaded amount of snow. But you can cover some ground and take the kids out for a ride in the warmth of a cab.

My dad has an Argo on tracks. It’s loud it’s slow. It’s also unstoppable. Drive over shrubs. Whatever. Also high maintenance

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a ranger on tracks. Gets around the prairie fields well but can get it stuck on a hill with a loaded amount of snow. But you can cover some ground and take the kids out for a ride in the warmth of a cab.

My dad has an Argo on tracks. It’s loud it’s slow. It’s also unstoppable. Drive over shrubs. Whatever. Also high maintenance
Neither are as good as a snowmobile in snow

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
smokinD I need one of those! Also need a few dollars lol
They are very nice and go anywhere, expensive to purchase but renting 1 for the day or a week is very affordable and it can be hauled on a medium duty flat deck. If it were me, thats what i would do just easier takes all the guess work and manual work out of the equation for less $$$ to i bet.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I seen one of osta’s vids last year with one of these in fairly deep snow, it didn’t fair to well from what I recall.
It's either this or a sled hands down for me, doubt my Dad will get on a sled at 80 as well to darn cold even though he's still pretty tough, he would say i'll pass i bet, take the Sherp lol!

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 6x6 and 8x8 tracked vehicles are great in certain environs but they get high centered too easily. i hunted waterfowl for years in the gulf coast and we had a couple 6x6's to facilitate that but they constantly got hung up.

Top Bottom