New ATV legislation?

dannyo

Reaction score
I am new to this site and hope i am posting in the right place. My question is with regard to the new ATV legislation in BC that requires all ATVs to be registered. I have an older quad and my question is this, why would i register and make another donation to the powers that be? Any comments much appreciated.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am new to this site and hope i am posting in the right place. My question is with regard to the new ATV legislation in BC that requires all ATVs to be registered. I have an older quad and my question is this, why would i register and make another donation to the powers that be? Any comments much appreciated.

ya i hear ya... just another tax grab for the honest guy...

Clinebo

Reaction score
The Feds stepped in here. Now you have to be "Street Legal" to ride on a forest road! It's not a county or state violation...it's a Federal crime. The Forest Service Law Enforcement officer will write us up and then it costs even more. Only good thing is in Montana you pay once and the quad is good until you sell it.

burgewx

Reaction score
registration and plates prove it isnt stolen , insurance is always a good idea - no offence to anyone , but if you wonder were your stolen stuff is , its in provinces that don't require paperwork or on a reserve

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've had to register snowmobiles for YEARS now, all i see is a double standard. Being the snowmobiles have to be registered to ride on snow haha, then ATVs, UTVs, dirt bikes should all be registered. That simple or non at all. IMO if you can't afford to register maybe you can't afford owning it. I don't argue the fact that its another form of tax grab but in this world "you want to play, then PAY".

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here in Alberta, most everyone is used to paying for registration. The question shouldn't be "Why do I have to pay?", it should be "WTF does the money go?" In Alberta, none of that money is used to support he OHV community - that's the real problem. Hopfully, things will be different in BC.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We've had to register snowmobiles for YEARS now, all i see is a double standard. Being the snowmobiles have to be registered to ride on snow haha, then ATVs, UTVs, dirt bikes should all be registered. That simple or non at all. IMO if you can't afford to register maybe you can't afford owning it. I don't argue the fact that its another form of tax grab but in this world "you want to play, then PAY".

Ya' this BC is a crazy place, eh!

The reason I have heard is that the large group of BC WildLife Federation members (hunters and trappers, etc.) have been the stumbling block. They can't come to terms.

To me it is a no-brainer. Any motorized vehicle should be registered and insured, period and end of discussion IMHO. How many more thousands of dollars would the gov't rightfully collect if all of the quads and sleds that were bought in Alberta were subject to the PST? The BC gov't also has to pick up the enforcement issue. I can't imagine a gov't (and it isn't the fault of just the Liberals, it has been this way long before they got into the Legislature) doo-ing business in this manner. It is irresponsible.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The system in bc is f'd plain and simple. As for insurance sure its a good idea, but my last insurance bill on my 400 outlander for fire and theft only was $1300 a year. For full insurance it's way more than my new superduty with replacement. Now if you have three you can pretty much buy a new quad every year with your insurance payments. Doesn't make sense to insure it anymore does it?

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The system in bc is f'd plain and simple. As for insurance sure its a good idea, but my last insurance bill on my 400 outlander for fire and theft only was $1300 a year. For full insurance it's way more than my new superduty with replacement. Now if you have three you can pretty much buy a new quad every year with your insurance payments. Doesn't make sense to insure it anymore does it?

i agree... i don't get all you that say pay to play (really??? do you work for gov't or insurance???) i don't see the advantage until like huntin licence ect the money goes back to support us...its a money grab and that's the only way the gov't looks at it... when serial numbers are on quads like cars then maybe but sticker don't count... not only that my buddy had a quad stolen the cops said its not car it won't be on the their system more then 1 year... they consider it property no diff then your skill saw ect... wtf! I had to insure my quad cause i made payments... 500 per year... but 1200 f off!!!... unless its legal to take my quad on a road forget it... i wont do it! we are over taxed people dont tell me i need insurance and register for roads that havent seen maintenance in 20 years or trails that i wrk to keeo open...this worlds going crazy

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your an owner of any ATV, your going to have to face the facts. BC is one of the only provinces lagging behind towards responsible ownership. While most provinces have for years now legislated manditory registration and insurance we in BC need to do the same as these sport become more popular.
I'm not talking about fire and theif insurance either. Personnaly who gives a rip that your atv was stolen or burned. I and most would agree that LIABILITY is an issue.
Just ask someone who has been badly injured or even permanently damanged by an irresponsible rider. Somebody has to cover the cost of injury, can YOU without insurance. DOUBT IT. Getting SUED is not a laughing matter and most don't think about it till **** happens....and **** does happen.

PS. this should apply to ALL motorized sports imo.

Last edited:

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everyone should carry their own insurance... life limb ect... in BC you use to have to have 100k in liability insurance to ride on forest service roads not sure if you still do.. you could get this via bc wildlife federation or home insurance ect... registering ect ect ect is just BS!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry its not going to save or help anyone except create another layer of gov't... im betting at first registration will be cheap or free at first so everyone complies all new bikes will be registered when there bought then when the gov'ts got everyone... ICBC theives will step in and rob everyone... just watch!

If we do need to register and insure in BC i sure hope private insurance is in and ICBC is out... or your gonna get bent over... just saying!!!!

if your worried about getting hurt buy your own. isn't that why most of us pay extra for "under insurred" protection???? Another point... most atv riders are hurt on their own machines...the ones i've seen get hurt by others are very rare...

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting how sled owners have had to register their sleds for well over 20 years now and others such as dirt bike and atvs have never. BTW...its a one time fee of $10 to a new owner....it was 20yrs ago and still is, so you don't have a clue of what talking about.
As sled owners, it put you as the ligitament owner if your sled gets stollen, plus an insurance company will not insure the sled with out it being registered. Why, cause the list is compiled in Victoria's data base to whom is the registered owner is, if stollen. So its in the insurance companies best interest and you to have the registery.

Top Bottom