Atv &sxs with tracks

hogwild

Reaction score
So I am a quad with tracks guy and wondering what is the general feeling among sledders in regard to tracked quads on sled trails ? For the last couple yrs I feel that quads with tracks are not really welcome pls correct me if I am wrong,for instance catteract creek does not allow my kind and have felt this way about other places I have visited aswell, these type of snow vehicles are becoming more popular every yr so what are everyone’s thoughts?

Attachments

• 1846A9E3-2381-49FC-9C96-1051275C7FE4.jpeg
    1846A9E3-2381-49FC-9C96-1051275C7FE4.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 58BBE508-33D2-4792-A4B9-1C56ADED5DDE.jpeg
    58BBE508-33D2-4792-A4B9-1C56ADED5DDE.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 107

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All good in our area
Screenshot_20221216-175600_Photos.jpg

No one owns crown land so anything goes...

Don't like tracked up ohv units yha can go pound sand...

Like the old guy said,,, if yha don't like them what yha going too do about it...

We've been on 1000's of sled trails from Ft Nelson too the 49th parallel with everything in-between,,, Golden,,, Vermont,,, Mcbride,,, Revy,,, Golden,,, Shoeswap,,, ect...

Just get out there and enjoy life,,, others can take care of them selves...
Screenshot_20221217-181339_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221217-181303_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221217-181041_Photos.jpg

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowmobile trails are just that, for snowmobiles. Unmaintained trails on crown land, do whatever you want.

Riding a tracked ATV on a groomed trail is going to make you unpopular at best.

At least around here it's a non issue, it's illegal to ride an ATV in Kakwa on the BC side, snowmobiles are the only kind of OHV allowed in the park.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really sure why you would run tracks on a quad in the deep snow areas? I tried them out and they sucked bad, Get a sled.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about snow bikes? I don’t like to ride my tracked sxs on unsanctioned or sanctioned sled trails, guys on the sleds pound the crap out of them and it’s to hard to drive On them. Tracked rigs are super slow so getting up in the hills probably won’t happen much, I can see the lower areas.
around here I go to the slow and boring ground for track fun.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a guy in Revy that brings his RZR on tracks up Boulder. He is also one of the groomer operators. If its all good with him, its all good with me.

just try not to run anyone over.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
In Alberta our liability insurance on the trail network only covers machines that are manufactured as snowmobiles, so ATVs with tracks are not included in that, nor are kitted snowbikes, at this time. I know the government is allowing snowbikes in Cataract Creek however.

We as club volunteers work our asses off to keep the snowmobile trails safe for all snowmobile users, no matter the age, the problem with letting tracked quads on is then all ATV users feel they should be allowed and it makes a mess.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would want to ride a tracked atv/utv in the first place…???
We have both at work, and they’re the most useless POS in any kind of deep snow….

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tracked up ohvs leave no more rutts then sleds or timber bikes on groomed trails or in the bowls...

No one in BC gives a r@ts @zz what folks choose to ride in the Province...

If your worried about rutts its time to sell your sled and stay home... lol...

Yes that is correct,,, Tracked buggies won't go where sleds go,,, thats ok,,, We're just out living the dream and enjoying the out doors...

A 1 unit thing is awesome,,, lots of folks enjoy owning 1 toy ,,, easier too service 1 unit then a collection off too much... Life in general throws all kinds of projects at pepole,,, why add too it if yha don't have too...

Its ok for others too Dictate what others can and can't do these days,,, its no wonder humans hate one another...

Yes yes yes,,, im one of those girls that doesn't wear a helmet,,, I got a my turban handy if the snow police stop me...

Free pass in the legal system...

Brain damage is my last concern...

Happy new year all,,, let the good times roll...

Share our wilderness with {all} users is the golden rule
Resized_c45c5cee2b7193100330d9ae588dfae5.jpeg

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see no issue with it. Most places in BC you probably wouldn't get far off the groomed trail until late spring. Since most clubs, in our area anyway, only groom to a cabin. Be a good way to get younger kids or older folks into the mountains that might not be up for the xxkm ride up the trail to a cabin. Probably a long slow journey but on a nice day who cares.

Buy a trail pass, will eliminate some complaints

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The folks at Chatt'er and area welcome everyone and any one,,, We idle in on alot of trails and cut back the buck-brush which widens the trails for {all} user's
Screenshot_20221217-181303_Photos.jpg

Its all about improved trails since we're packing chain saws,,, machetes,,, axe and shovels...

Don't kid your self,,, We've improved alot of wildcat trails that don't see groom'ers...

We've been waved too and welcomed by every group of sled folks We've meet over the years...

Who's out there maintaining those trails ?

What have tracked up ohvs wrecked ?

Nothing,,, when the snow is gone no one would ever know that {any} unit was ever up there playing in the Snow...

Band them from your trails,,, limit others so clubs become smaller,,, more over grown,,, narrow'er and other issues...

Don't forget who brings the goods when it comes too wood and cabin supplies,,, thats where tracked up ohvs shine...

Who's packing the tools,,, who the better sled retriever for towing out units at a slow and safe pace...

Screenshot_20221217-181144_Photos.jpg

Be part of community,,, Welcome everyone and anyone whom chooses too be part of the great out-doors...

There is too much you can and others cant these days,,, be careful for what yha wish for if things go South,,, guaranteed one thing,,, tracked up ohv users would never ever leave no one stranded because {most} have the gear and tack too help anyone they encounter...

Just saying is all...

That's coming from a guy with worn out body and only 1/2 of what I once was...

Life in the slow lane is where I'm coming from these days...

Cheers all !!!

hogwild

Reaction score
The folks at Chatt'er and area welcome everyone and any one,,, We idle in on alot of trails and cut back the buck-brush which widens the trails for {all} user's
View attachment 264432

Its all about improved trails since we're packing chain saws,,, machetes,,, axe and shovels...

Don't kid your self,,, We've improved alot of wildcat trails that don't see groom'ers...

We've been waved too and welcomed by every group of sled folks We've meet over the years...

Who's out there maintaining those trails ?

What have tracked up ohvs wrecked ?

Nothing,,, when the snow is gone no one would ever know that {any} unit was ever up there playing in the Snow...

Band them from your trails,,, limit others so clubs become smaller,,, more over grown,,, narrow'er and other issues...

Don't forget who brings the goods when it comes too wood and cabin supplies,,, thats where tracked up ohvs shine...

Who's packing the tools,,, who the better sled retriever for towing out units at a slow and safe pace...

View attachment 264433

Be part of community,,, Welcome everyone and anyone whom chooses too be part of the great out-doors...

There is too much you can and others cant these days,,, be careful for what yha wish for if things go South,,, guaranteed one thing,,, tracked up ohv users would never ever leave no one stranded because {most} have the gear and tack too help anyone they encounter...

Just saying is all...

That's coming from a guy with worn out body and only 1/2 of what I once was...

Life in the slow lane is where I'm coming from these days...

Cheers all !!!
All true thanks. I am the same. Injuries limited me until i got tracks now im back out enjoying the snow. Still can’t believe that there are people that think the way they do. I actually tiwed a snow bike out one time and i bet he would still be there if I hadn’t.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything has a purpose.
Tracks on a SXS or a quad do nothing for damage to a groomed trail .
Like someone mentioned already , that sleds do way more damage with tearing up the trail . Big holes dug when most take off because they are too daft to take it easy and no thought as to what it does .
I tried tracks on a quad and hated them as way to slow , to cold ,way to much snow being thrown around , to hard on machine , to costly and useless in deep snow . 3 ft and more .
Crawl over a 10 inch tree and stuck as can’t go ahead or back . Piece of board with hinge in the middle works so you don’t have to cut it out of the way . This is one one way on over grown seismic trails .
In saying this some really like them but not for me as a wide track sled is way better for this type of use . IMO
If wanting one machine that kind of does everything the tracks will get you out in the winter and that’s what counts . Ice fishing ,non maintained access and things like that they are fine .

hogwild

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would want to ride a tracked atv/utv in the first place…???
We have both at work, and they’re the most useless POS in any kind of deep snow….
Everything has a purpose.
Tracks on a SXS or a quad do nothing for damage to a groomed trail .
Like someone mentioned already , that sleds do way more damage with tearing up the trail . Big holes dug when most take off because they are too daft to take it easy and no thought as to what it does .
I tried tracks on a quad and hated them as way to slow , to cold ,way to much snow being thrown around , to hard on machine , to costly and useless in deep snow . 3 ft and more .
Crawl over a 10 inch tree and stuck as can’t go ahead or back . Piece of board with hinge in the middle works so you don’t have to cut it out of the way . This is one one way on over grown seismic trails .
In saying this some really like them but not for me as a wide track sled is way better for this type of use . IMO
If wanting one machine that kind of does everything the tracks will get you out in the winter and that’s what counts . Ice fishing ,non maintained access and things like that they are fine .
They aren’t for everyone very true but for some of us that like to cruise around aren’t in a hurry they fit the bill perfectly. I love exploring back country on mine and have yet to get it stuck. 4-5 snow no problem.

Attachments

• 3D827BBF-83EF-4BF5-9144-E1D659C1A077.jpeg
    3D827BBF-83EF-4BF5-9144-E1D659C1A077.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 83

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They aren’t for everyone very true but for some of us that like to cruise around aren’t in a hurry they fit the bill perfectly. I love exploring back country on mine and have yet to get it stuck. 4-5 snow no problem.
Nice machine

Top Bottom