Need helicopter in revy

duggyb

Reaction score
Meant 6000ft vertical haha not climb sorry. Regardless there is no way it was getting pulled out by a sled.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, I have to tell this story from years ago at Gorman...lol...still laughing when I think about it. We're across the lake and up to the big T where you can go right up to Lang, or left up into that big bowl. Those who know the area know that it's a hell of a big hill but usually has a really good highway up and over. We're sitting near that area when we see three sleds come back over the left hand crest, all look close together - nothing out of the ordinary so far.

We then see that the lead sled has no steering post, which we later learn was from a wicked yard sale somewhere back in there. Squint real close and you can now see that the two trailing sleds are tied to the lead sled with a nice thick rope. Looks like the boys are going to control the broken sled with their brakes to the bottom......then it all went for chit. The boys got about 1/3 of the way down and picked up way too much speed. That nice rope they used now ensured that the now crashing and rolling sleds would not escape each other in this giant game of triple sled demo-derbo/steamroller unfolding before us!! It became one churning, frothing furball of boots, hoods, parts, and newfies. Yard sale of the year!!

Turns out the sleds were rentals. Got insurance? LOL. They turned one wrecked sled into three in a hurry.

Bottom line, be careful when tethering sleds on downhills. :D Or maybe a heli bill won't look so bad when you look at the alternatives.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, I have to tell this story from years ago at Gorman...lol...still laughing when I think about it. We're across the lake and up to the big T where you can go right up to Lang, or left up into that big bowl. Those who know the area know that it's a hell of a big hill but usually has a really good highway up and over. We're sitting near that area when we see three sleds come back over the left hand crest, all look close together - nothing out of the ordinary so far.

We then see that the lead sled has no steering post, which we later learn was from a wicked yard sale somewhere back in there. Squint real close and you can now see that the two trailing sleds are tied to the lead sled with a nice thick rope. Looks like the boys are going to control the broken sled with their brakes to the bottom......then it all went for chit. The boys got about 1/3 of the way down and picked up way too much speed. That nice rope they used now ensured that the now crashing and rolling sleds would not escape each other in this giant game of triple sled demo-derbo/steamroller unfolding before us!! It became one churning, frothing furball of boots, hoods, parts, and newfies. Yard sale of the year!!

Turns out the sleds were rentals. Got insurance? LOL. They turned one wrecked sled into three in a hurry.

Bottom line, be careful when tethering sleds on downhills. :D Or maybe a heli bill won't look so bad when you look at the alternatives.

LOL

If its a real steep hill, you should probably just disconnect it, take the plastic off the track and ride it down, using its own brakes...........................................

Some of this stuff doesn't require significant amounts of logic

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL

If its a real steep hill, you should probably just disconnect it, take the plastic off the track and ride it down, using its own brakes...........................................

Some of this stuff doesn't require significant amounts of logic

With no steering post, you couldn't pay me enough to sit on that and squeeze the brake.

That being said, we got one out once with a broken steering post using duct tape, 2 wrenches and some wire. Quite the feat of engineering.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got to see this unit land late one night, but was there for an injury. 2 pilots and 2 paramedics.
Revy 12-10 054.jpg Revy 12-10 053.jpg Revy 12-10 049.jpg

bourgon

Reaction score

Tryed to tug out an zx out of the back of Allan one time with 2 sleds! Never wrecked any thing but came close a few times! Ended up choppering it out 600 bucks I think! Cheap if you start to wreck stuff! Blew a rev 800 pulling out a xp once to! So now if it ant a easy tug chopper it out!

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x 10 on Selkirk... They retrieved my sled from Area 51.. Just happened to be the day of going the furthest west I have ever been across 2 ridges past (Handle Bar Hill.. Old coring stuff) across the lakes and actually ran into guys coming from Vernon side!!! Well on the way back I puked out a track... No towing that mofo out... Weather socked in and 4 days later they found it.. They looked for 45 minutes... And we're going to give up until pilot saw a spec of red... About an inch he said if that was my mountain grab bar sticking out of snow.. Even took him 40 minutes to dig around sled.. No charge for that.. Lol.. I sent him a Zalas Gift Card... Great guys.. They r there to help... My story.. Been to scared to ever go that far back in 51 since!!! Lol..

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got lifted out last year from the same area in aera51... i made it to the second lake, had a gps phone and called Selkirk, they screw around with me for over four hrs, telling me they had chopper maintence, bad weather and then finally said it was to late... i then got a hold of the chopper at the revy airport and he got me out quicker than i could be doubled out, just at dark, said he should charge me 1800, but would do it for 1200cash

will not use Selkirk again for anything other than bolder

x 10 on Selkirk... They retrieved my sled from Area 51.. Just happened to be the day of going the furthest west I have ever been across 2 ridges past (Handle Bar Hill.. Old coring stuff) across the lakes and actually ran into guys coming from Vernon side!!! Well on the way back I puked out a track... No towing that mofo out... Weather socked in and 4 days later they found it.. They looked for 45 minutes... And we're going to give up until pilot saw a spec of red... About an inch he said if that was my mountain grab bar sticking out of snow.. Even took him 40 minutes to dig around sled.. No charge for that.. Lol.. I sent him a Zalas Gift Card... Great guys.. They r there to help... My story.. Been to scared to ever go that far back in 51 since!!! Lol..

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With no steering post, you couldn't pay me enough to sit on that and squeeze the brake.

That being said, we got one out once with a broken steering post using duct tape, 2 wrenches and some wire. Quite the feat of engineering.

Cut a tree branch and jam it in the steering post, place broken top half on top and effectively sleeve it together. bash/roll the edges in to give it some bite on the wood so it don't slide up and down. Tie a piece of rope to the tip of each ski and then up through the bumper and to the opposing side of the handlebars. You turn left, the brake side handlebar pulls the rope and subsequently pulls the right ski tip, and the sled turns. Turn right, the left ski tip pulls and sled turns. I've ridden a sled like this for over 20 kms, after I broke my post...10 kms of which were through very thick lumber and down some decent hills. Members on this forum were there and can attest. A few tight corners I had to get off and pull the sled around as it wasn't quite like having normal steering, but good enough to get out and back to the truck under my own power.

Drove a sled with vice grips on a broken steering post and the bars in my lap one time......little hard to do but if its flat its not too bad.

Have removed motors out in the field and taken back to town, repaired and then re-installed in the field and drove the sled out. Broke a throttle cable, took some electrical wire, stripped it, twisted it and made a new cable. Broke a spindle, wired a tree over from the other ski tip and drove the sled out.....etc etc. With a little thought and a few select tools and a branch or two, you can usually fix a lot of stuff to get you out of a jam. Again, sometimes its just not possible and a chopper is your only way out.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the past I've rigged up my own sled for getting choppered out using the two spindles and the rear bumper. This was back on a '94 Storm which gave the chopper a workout but also had heavy beefy bumpers. With the new sleds (e.g. Polaris Pro) is the Carbon fibre bumper good enough? Any other techniques? It sure does help the pilot out when you can do it yourself. Thoughts on how to rig it properly on the new sleds? Hope I don't need to, but good to know the proper way if needed. Thanks!

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just rig the rear through the tunnel around the drop brackets. Even that can be sketchy as the tunnels are so light now. It could fold the running boards in.

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't forget a pair of ratchet type tie downs. They normally can be tightened to hold any Broken piece as good as bolting.

Top Bottom