Need helicopter in revy

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HaHa Fred. You gotta tell me. How did you slip a helicopter lift in Revy by your accountant? Lifting a tractor? Lol.

You've just got to be creative. I was able to write my flight off as a tour to look at some land. Basically you're only renting the helicopter for a set amount of time if you can get them to write it up like that you can say you were doing pretty much anything with that helicopter!!

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BTW, if you have GPS coordinate and you remain at location for hookup it can make a difference in price.

Why does remaining at the location make a difference in the price? I sure as hell don't want to have to be the guy that hooks up my sled wrong and has it plummet into the Columbia River! Even though the helicopter company has no liability I still would rather be pi$$ed off at someone other than myself for having it happen.

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think of it as a really expensive taxi meter running, if he has to fly around looking for the sled the meter is still running. The less time he is up in the air the cheaper it's going to be is what I was told. He did say that as soon as he fired up the chopper it was $500.

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like this?

Attachments

• sky crane.jpg
    sky crane.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 585

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All kidding aside last year a talk to a guy at the Allen creek his xp got choppered to the cabin. And he said the chopper was going back to get an Apex that broke down. And said that the guy with the apex was going to have a big bill cause the chopper wasn't big enough to fly over the mountains and had to stay in the valleys down low. Not sure if that's true but that's what he told me.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Elevation kills helicopters the same as it does sleds .
8000 ft a helicopters lift rate is a lot less than at 2500 ft.
Most times you need a astar in the mountains in order to lift sled out at higher elevations.
Jet Ranger 206 is a gamble.
In saying this it is best to drain fuel out and put in other sled as well make sure machine is free of ice and snow build up.
Lighter the better at high elevations .

shaunster111

Reaction score
Turbo 4 stroke very reliable. But turbo 4 banger vs rock. That my friend is a battle you'll lose 4 out of 5 times. Anyway cost me 1600$ but insurance covered the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Reaction score
I hauled a big 4 stroke with the big propane tanks for the turbo out of Turtle while filming some stuff on thunderstruck 9 in 2011. 206 did it but not without me skipping lunch that day- just flew her down to executive flight fuels by the parking lot and waited for the crew to come pay. I haven't seen the whole #9 but I did see the teaser on YouTube- looks like a good film too.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now this puts things into perspective on why i love my turboed 4stroke, at the end of the day i'm sure to get back and have more money in my pocket for lightweight parts.....haha and a good juicey steak.
Less time breaking and fixing and more time modding and playing or just having piece of mind.

Good luck on your retreival, been there done that............it SUCKS
BTW, if you have GPS coordinate and you remain at location for hookup it can make a difference in price.

1 broken oil line incapacitated my buddies 4 stroker and wound up on the tow rope behind my sled. Just saying.

What blows me away is the price some guys pay for a chopper, when you can go into town and buy a crazy carpet and a rope and tow the thing for like $50.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1 broken oil line incapacitated my buddies 4 stroker and wound up on the tow rope behind my sled. Just saying.

What blows me away is the price some guys pay for a chopper, when you can go into town and buy a crazy carpet and a rope and tow the thing for like $50.

How does this trick work? Tie the crazy carpet to the track?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does this trick work? Tie the crazy carpet to the track?

You got it. We use a 40 mil LLDPE liner at work, its as thick as a crazy carpet and comes up to 110' x 110' in size. I have a couple old pieces of it that the sled fits on nicely, costs around $15 for a 10' x 10' chunk. Lay it under the track, zip tie it in place at the front through the track windows and along the sides to keep the track from sliding off it, and hook up the sled. Works great, don't stop too fast, you need to hook an anchor sled behind if you are going down big hills (otherwise its a big toboggan with no brakes), and can't take the corners at mach chicken but it will follow in the track of the leading sled generally and tows pretty well. Can also turn skis around and put rear of sled up on another bumper and tow backwards but gets hard on the bumper/tunnel of the towing sled and always a risk of bending the cooler on the new sleds. Towed lots of busted sleds out over the years, towing in tandem and paralell with two or more other sleds. Towed my sled off the hill with no track on it one time, just on the skid rails!

LOL

Obviously I understand there are spots where the only option is a chopper, but generally you can get a sled out with a little ingenuity and effort. $1300 is a lot of riding days!

duggyb

Reaction score
You got it. We use a 40 mil LLDPE liner at work, its as thick as a crazy carpet and comes up to 110' x 110' in size. I have a couple old pieces of it that the sled fits on nicely, costs around $15 for a 10' x 10' chunk. Lay it under the track, zip tie it in place at the front through the track windows and along the sides to keep the track from sliding off it, and hook up the sled. Works great, don't stop too fast, you need to hook an anchor sled behind if you are going down big hills (otherwise its a big toboggan with no brakes), and can't take the corners at mach chicken but it will follow in the track of the leading sled generally and tows pretty well. Can also turn skis around and put rear of sled up on another bumper and tow backwards but gets hard on the bumper/tunnel of the towing sled and always a risk of bending the cooler on the new sleds. Towed lots of busted sleds out over the years, towing in tandem and paralell with two or more other sleds. Towed my sled off the hill with no track on it one time, just on the skid rails!

LOL

Obviously I understand there are spots where the only option is a chopper, but generally you can get a sled out with a little ingenuity and effort. $1300 is a lot of riding days!

i think most of these guys are getting lifted from remoter areas. i paid $600 a couple years ago in Mcbride for a lift when my 08 XP threw a rod. only way out was a 6000ft climb out of Blackwater/Hamburger Hills area) that weekend sure sucked because a new short block was $3200 as well. Yeyy to $4500 weekends.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of the areas I ride in the states, there isn't a chopper for 70 miles. We've hiked some sleds out of some pretty crappy spots.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think most of these guys are getting lifted from remoter areas. i paid $600 a couple years ago in Mcbride for a lift when my 08 XP threw a rod. only way out was a 6000ft climb out of Blackwater/Hamburger Hills area) that weekend sure sucked because a new short block was $3200 as well. Yeyy to $4500 weekends.
6000 ft climb.......sounds like a big pull.

Top Bottom