missing Sledders in Silent Pass ???

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard of anything, but I hope it all turns out well.

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394440373.070016.jpg

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who covers the cost on something like this??

They should! S&R should only be used if your in REAL trouble like someones hurt and you cant confidently move them out your self.

S&R is turning out to be a back up guiding service that gets you home this year WTF people? This isint helping our cause at all, If this keeps up its just guna be easier to make our live harder as sledders with more rules and possibly shutting down areas.

All a MLA would have to do is look at costs vs benifits and then throw a red safety flag into the mix and BOOM area closed the government finds extra income by not rescuing dumb asses, and then its "protected" land that we will not be able to ride on again, were treading in dangerous water here boys and girls.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They should! S&R should only be used if your in REAL trouble like someones hurt and you cant confidently move them out your self.

S&R is turning out to be a back up guiding service that gets you home this year WTF people? This isint helping our cause at all, If this keeps up its just guna be easier to make our live harder as sledders with more rules and possibly shutting down areas.

All a MLA would have to do is look at costs vs benifits and then throw a red safety flag into the mix and BOOM area closed the government finds extra income by not rescuing dumb asses, and then its "protected" land that we will not be able to ride on again, were treading in dangerous water here boys and girls.

you think they would chopper a few of us into the backcountry, to avoid all the rough trails in Silver mines, Hope creek. would save alot of sore backs etc.

could be classified as a emergency.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd give myself a "minor injury" to get out of the cost ;-) ... J/K...

It can be hard to determine what your injuries are. I've read stories where the person was hurt but tough they were fine only to find out they had internal bleeding and bleeding out inside. Better to play It safe. If it ends up costing you so be it.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you guys,who are doing the same thing you are complaining about, jumping on a guy, would reread his post he seemed to be making a general comment not jumping on these guys and I agree with him, in a general sense. We see it happening here as well, guys ( again, do not know this full story) in general are relying on the S&R and their technology to save them. I also agree we live in a first world country where we help and rescue people, but I just feel some( not all) jump to the spot/phone for help instead of planning and talking and thinking about the route out, especially on days like Saturday when it was so socked in you could not see a foot in front of you.

Don't argue with stupid, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there were hurt and didn't know the degree, internals can be scary. They played it safe and called for help. How would we feel of they had been hurt and tried to wait the weather out and did not make it. Mountian riders are a tight group. We have to protect our selfs. If they used there spot and hade the insurance on it. It's covered. No problems

• Thanks
Reactions: K45

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
weather or not these guys made fools of themselves, it does seem far too many call outs for stupid. remember the thread last week about the sleds abandoned in revy and how lilduke tryed to extract them but they were full of stupid. Dan told me they were very close to the cabin, and a few hundred feet from the groomed trail. but thought s&r would get them that nite.
I was wondering if it was the cold = injuries

Last edited:

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it is fair to say that more information would be needed as to the minor injuries. I based my post from the information from the S&R screen shot that was posted and that they where lost due to the white out conditions. Are the minor injuries being cold? Maybe Hypothermic due to being not prepared for such conditions and the overnight stay on the hill?

Just my personal opinion that S&R be utilized only when absolutely necessary. They are way to valuable a resource to abuse. If conditions were that bad Saturday as described, maybe they should not have been dropping into Alpine Bowls. If you don't know, don't go.

For myself, I like to think that I carry enough survival gear in my pack and on my sled that I would be able to stay the night if needed.

Thank you to the S&R personnel out there. Your service is invaluable when needed.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's a little unnecessary, a couple weeks ago me and my group went and rode a area we've only rode once before, in the morning it was clear and could easily find our way back out. At the end of the day my buddy broke his wrist and the weather turned to complete chit, white out and snowing sideways, all our tracks were completely covered. We must of been trying to find the trail out for about 40 mins but finally found it. The lazy thing to do would of been to call search and rescue and rely on them. We got ourselves in, and we were getting ourselves out. IMO if your not severely injured like broken femur or broken back, or if you drop down the side of the mountain to a point of no return, then you could justify calling search and rescue. Otherwise, save it for someone who needs it.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would almost guarantee their minor injuries were cold and dehydrated from the overnight stay. Too many yahoos in the mountains without knowledge or preparation that only know how to push the SOS button. The amount of S&R callouts this year seems excessive for sure. These are volunteers not paid full time jobs.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode Silent on Saturday…the weather forecast for that elevation was calling for wind and snow with the heaviest moving in in the afternoon and heavy snow overnight. We planned on an early head out due to this…left around 330. At the trucks, the chopper put down right in front of us on the road (totally fricken cool) to ask us about these guys and what the viz was like back there…we said it was zero. The emergency call was made pretty early. We headed up off the lake level in early afternoon towards the backside and the viz was brutal just after lunch, why anyone would drop into the back bowl is beyond me, especially if they weren't familiar enough to get out. The day's weather was very obvious IMO and the majority of the people up there were not venturing in to the back bowl for that reason, you can lose your bearings back there with no trees, or landmarks to help you out. We've led a groups out of these areas during no viz days and the only thing that gets us out is knowing the way…not seeing the way, but knowing the way. A sled gets more than 5 feet behind you and you lose him. I'm not bashing these guys, who knows what happened…but this day was not a day for going where you don't know and it wasn't exactly a fast moving in storm, it was forecasted and obvious. Search and Rescue can't pick and chose who or why they rescue, one person's stupid is another person's emergency. I really don't like to see Search and Rescue have to put their lives on the line for people who don't read or pay attention to conditions and make decisions accordingly. Hurt or not, it wasn't rocket science to know where or not you rode this day if you paid any attention to conditions, avy and weather. :) Glad they are safe, we were worried about what might have happened. Had we thought we could have seen anything we would have tried going back in at that time but we wouldn't have been able to see 6 inches in front of us by the time we got back in. This back area of Silent is called The Duncan….Duncan valley is the valley to the West of our valley and when you're in the back, should you drop down, down…you hit the valley bottom of Duncan Valley. Not a good place to drop to, some places you can get out, some you can't. :)

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems anymore there are more unprepared people on the hill than there are people who preplan for the worst. It amazes me how many sledders you see in the back country with no bag on their tunnel or no backpack on. So you know they don't have anything in case of emergency. I have recently starting taking my boys to the mountains and I spend countless hours with them in the garage having them pack their sleds,pack their backpacks so they know where every piece of gear is if they god forbid happen to need it. As well as every time we stop I'm training them what to watch for, how to park, how to observe! They have had avalanche training as well as constant reminders by me how to read the CAC bulletins,and how to operate their gear. They think I get repetitive but some day they will be out there without me and I can rest assured if something happens they will be prepared and know what to do. Now that being said if anyone saw my boys doing something stupid they have the right to go smack them upside the Helmet. There are a ton of guys(And Gals) out there that need this slap upside the head sometimes! Like stated on here if it doesn't get any better then the Govt will step in and shut us down due to cost and public safety.

I don't know the situation these last guys were in but I am speaking in General of the countless Yahoo's that seem to be occupying this sport as of the last number of years. Now we have production 174" 3" sleds coming out that any spoiled brat can go buy!! Think things are going to get better or worse?? Maybe buying these machines should be on a graduated basis!

Sorry For the rant but me and my boys witnessed a couple said Yahoos two weeks ago at Eagles climbing in the burn right beside an area that had just slid.
My question to my boys was (OK boys those guys are asking for trouble!! If that slides again and they get buried do we go help and put ourselves in danger? Or do we just call S&R and wait till they get here?) What would you Do??

Don't answer here Im gonna start a new post with that question!

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were a bit concerned about turning the Heli away, but absolutely couldn't support him going back there. He circled and circled hoping to get in then dropped on the road just to check with us and see if we had heard anything or thought they could land back there. They must have been called on an in reach? cuz they knew it was 3 sleds at that time they were going in after and no injuries were reported.

Our group said to each other…'well, let's hope they're prepared cuz they are there until morning' We were absolutely soaked on the outside of our gear..inside nice and dry (thanks Motorfist ;) ) but our thoughts all the way down were 'man, I hope they have good gear at least' ….and then 'man, I hope they're smart enough to at least carry fire starter' …then, 'why the f&%k would they go back there with the storm coming in'….head shaking the whole time and worried about fellow sledders that we wish we could help get out.

It doesn't feel good knowing that people are back on that mountain as you drive a way…it's eerie and you want to do something. Especially when you know what they are stranded in.

Top Bottom