Missing riders

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be surprised if they didn't have to pay for the heli bump.

In all fairness, judging by the lack of people in hi-vis or anyone else around them when they hooked up, I assume this was a private hire as opposed to a S&R.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
...a bunch of buddies were off rode enndure...all had forgoten their inreaches and my buddy had a sat phone...

Wait - you're sayin your buddies buy InReaches and sat phones instead of Zoleos?
Were they they not aware of the special pricing of $260 and free activation while being the superior Iridium network?

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the most important take away from this incident or any like it shouldn’t be a pissing match over what device you have but instead we should just focus on having something. I’m betting that 95% of the guys out riding have never been involved in a serious life threatening incident And until you are a person just doesn’t understand how even the most beautiful of days can turn in an instant. The sun can be shining and two minutes later you are shitting your self trying to keep someone alive in a whiteout Blizzard! Over the years I’ve seen 2 broken femurs and one complete burial as well as countless smaller mishaps like a guy bitting his tongue in half, all have ended happily ever after but man it makes you think!

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Wait - you're sayin your buddies buy InReaches and sat phones instead of Zoleos?
Were they they not aware of the special pricing of $260 and free activation while being the superior Iridium network?
yes before zoleo was around, we all had inreaches, they still work awesome, but buying one today your spend more for less and a higher cost. Inreach is also on the iridium network, the company that I worked with, they sold inreach before it going to garmin buying it, then they built zoleo, so the have 25 years of sat comm/phones linq's and the 13 with inreach and 3 plus with zoleo, i could have anything, including any phone, but the simplest and best is zoleo, and its the least expensive, by half. Not bad. and yes my buddies own helis and planes so they have both, that is how i see the issues with sat phones, not making things up, ask most sleddrers who have a sat phone how often they use it, not much, if you sledded 1-2 times a year how good are you compared to going out every day, with an inreach or zoleo, you use it every day. Big difference. Just stating facts so loosen up. :)

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes before zoleo was around, we all had inreaches, they still work awesome, but buying one today your spend more for less and a higher cost. Inreach is also on the iridium network, the company that I worked with, they sold inreach before it going to garmin buying it, then they built zoleo, so the have 25 years of sat comm/phones linq's and the 13 with inreach and 3 plus with zoleo, i could have anything, including any phone, but the simplest and best is zoleo, and its the least expensive, by half. Not bad. and yes my buddies own helis and planes so they have both, that is how i see the issues with sat phones, not making things up, ask most sleddrers who have a sat phone how often they use it, not much, if you sledded 1-2 times a year how good are you compared to going out every day, with an inreach or zoleo, you use it every day. Big difference. Just stating facts so loosen up. :)
Not only are you the best at everything you are the comma king,,,,,, 🤣

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pricing on Zoleo Canada website appears to be more more per month for the basic plan than what I pay for Inreach. 25 vs 15 bucks per month. I used to have a SPOT and it sucked. When Garmin purchased Inreach I figured they understand GPS technology and made the switch. I can't see what the icentive would be to switch.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pricing on Zoleo Canada website appears to be more more per month for the basic plan than what I pay for Inreach. 25 vs 15 bucks per month. I used to have a SPOT and it sucked. When Garmin purchased Inreach I figured they understand GPS technology and made the switch. I can't see what the icentive would be to switch.

inreach works great i have one too. For me, its the dedicated number and email address that makes it worth the switch.

Reactions: RXN

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
inreach works great i have one too. For me, its the dedicated number and email address that makes it worth the switch.
I like that you can get messages via cellular data / wifi as well if you are in service. That in itself was worth it to me. I can give certain people my Zoleo number when I go sledding, and know that they can get a hold of me whenever.

But even more so, I constantly had issues with my Inreach mini and receiving messages on my phone. 75% of the time I had to read messages on the small screen (which was stashed in my avy bag).

I never have issues messaging with the Zoleo.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
If you purchase a yr contract it is15 dollars per month total 180.00 per year but you get 10 messages(email/text) and anything extra is .75 cents so if you use 25 that is 15 extra a month for a total of 135.00 which is 315.00 per yr. With zoleo its 25 a month monthly so no 1 yr and you get 25 messages which us 300.00 per yer. So they are the same essentially and both have unlimited texts. you can put the zoleo on hold for 5 bucks a month as well making it cheaper when not using. Or go up to the next level if you over use it and it will be cheaper where as you can not and certain times you want to use it. For someone who says they just want to put it in their pack and never use it , then even more a case for the zoleo as it is half the price of the mini. There is no right or wrong but zoleo is cheaper, it is the reason inreach lowered their price but gave you more restrictions as to how that might work and if you use it more it will cost you more. There really is not reason for you to change but most of my friends who had inreach I just told to sell as they could still get 350-500 for them depending on model and get a zoleo for 260 and use the rest to cover month for free. And you get better connectivity because it is an app, never miss messages as when you shut both off you will get no messages from your inreach but when in cell or wifi they will continue to come in via zoleo app, and you get 950 character 1 message app to app, deticated number which for many is huge. Quite a few better features from a user point of view and cost. Ya spot has some wicked features but globalstar sucks, unfortunately for them and apple. I hope apple will help improve globalstar but they are far behind and in that time I think starlink will take over.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you purchase a yr contract it is15 dollars per month total 180.00 per year but you get 10 messages(email/text) and anything extra is .75 cents so if you use 25 that is 15 extra a month for a total of 135.00 which is 315.00 per yr. With zoleo its 25 a month monthly so no 1 yr and you get 25 messages which us 300.00 per yer. So they are the same essentially and both have unlimited texts. you can put the zoleo on hold for 5 bucks a month as well making it cheaper when not using. Or go up to the next level if you over use it and it will be cheaper where as you can not and certain times you want to use it. For someone who says they just want to put it in their pack and never use it , then even more a case for the zoleo as it is half the price of the mini. There is no right or wrong but zoleo is cheaper, it is the reason inreach lowered their price but gave you more restrictions as to how that might work and if you use it more it will cost you more. There really is not reason for you to change but most of my friends who had inreach I just told to sell as they could still get 350-500 for them depending on model and get a zoleo for 260 and use the rest to cover month for free. And you get better connectivity because it is an app, never miss messages as when you shut both off you will get no messages from your inreach but when in cell or wifi they will continue to come in via zoleo app, and you get 950 character 1 message app to app, deticated number which for many is huge. Quite a few better features from a user point of view and cost. Ya spot has some wicked features but globalstar sucks, unfortunately for them and apple. I hope apple will help improve globalstar but they are far behind and in that time I think starlink will take over.
I see So I gotta have a smartphone with it to use it? My phone is allways going dead:(

Top Bottom