Missing riders

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A zoleo is cheap insurance for the group and will help their signifigant others not worry. 260 to sledders all in and your activation is free if your a bcsf member, its insane people are not using these.

I really dislike how this seems to have become the de facto statement for backcountry sled travel. It harbors the mentality that a satellite communicator is a replacement for good decision making skills, self preparedness and rider ability. Calling for a professional rescue should be a last ditch option reserved for life and death situations - not a simple bail out because you got in over your head.
The over confidence from having backcountry technology, endless inspiring videos on the internet and vastly improved mtn sled capabilities seems to have caused people to forget the true gravity of the situations we place ourselves in to have some fun. Reality is, even if you push that button, you're probably spending the night and causing a whole group of volunteers to leave their families/work. Not to mention the countless hours and thousands of dollars spent rescuing your ass. A timely rescue isn't a guarantee either. Heli's generally don't fly at night, poor weather or may not be available at all.
The situation in this thread is a perfect example. They DID have satellite communication, yet somehow, it didn't prevent them from getting in over their head or miraculously improve the riders ability to climb out of the zone they decided to drop into. No one is perfect and mistakes happen, but it seems to become more prevalent each season.

Last edited:

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed with the above. Too many guys think they are way better riders than they are. Know your skill level and ride within it. Push the envelope a bit in a safe area with people around.

This is some of the most dangerous terrain on earth and too many treat it like they’re going for a walk in the park.

Accidents happen, we all get it. Be safe out there.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put some really rude marks down this face two days ago and now thats 4 people it sucked in and spent the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just laying down the sucker trails eh? 🤣Pretty sure we have been down there. I can understand why they couldn't get out in this snow.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can someone mark this map to show where they went?

Allan-Creek-Map-Image.jpg

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
That is correct they were about 500m lower than that last opening. Half way down to avy alley creek. It’s pretty serious terrain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've been about halfway down in way better snow conditions and I sure didn't want to go any farther. I'm not a pro like Maxwell though.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a great place too hide...

Heee Heee,,, no one will find us here I bet...

Oh look at those trees,,, bet there pretty comfortable too snuggle up too at 4 in the morning...

Reactions: RXN

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it can be straight up mistaken identity too. My sled had a sleep over in Allen once because it went down a drainage that I thought was somewhere else. I thought it would come out into a area I knew. I was wrong. But by the time I realized it wasn’t the right spot we were way too far down. Combine that with less than stellar skills, end of the day being tired, and other things it all went sideways. The next day, freshed up with sleep and food, drove out no problem. So ya just never know.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
These guys had a sat phone. Pretty sure a sat phone is better lol
Actually no it most cases it is not, this issue with sat phone, been using them for 20 years, is that number one they are expensive, for a good one, and minutes are even more money. So guys usually don't use them much, they sit in their case, then when you go to use them, they forget how to use them, usually using a cheat sheet they made. They also can be finnicky in the mountains as they need a constant link to satellite otherwise you are hearing every 5th word which makes no sense to the rescue effort. Of course a sat phone is better than nothing but usually there will be only one in a group, say that guy goes down, then what? Personal locators make it cheap, simple and easy for all users and there should be 2 in a group of 2 and at least 3 in a group of 5. They only need one hook to a sat for a brief moment to send the message and one to get back so reliability and understanding is way better. sat phone is 1000.00 plus 500 bucks for minutes , sat communication is 260.00 and 25 bucks a month for the winter months...then you can put on hold for 5 bucks if you dont do anthing else. Pretty easy decision.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
I really dislike how this seems to have become the de facto statement for backcountry sled travel. It harbors the mentality that a satellite communicator is a replacement for good decision making skills, self preparedness and rider ability. Calling for a professional rescue should be a last ditch option reserved for life and death situations - not a simple bail out because you got in over your head.
The over confidence from having backcountry technology, endless inspiring videos on the internet and vastly improved mtn sled capabilities seems to have caused people to forget the true gravity of the situations we place ourselves in to have some fun. Reality is, even if you push that button, you're probably spending the night and causing a whole group of volunteers to leave their families/work. Not to mention the countless hours and thousands of dollars spent rescuing your ass. A timely rescue isn't a guarantee either. Heli's generally don't fly at night, poor weather or may not be available at all.
The situation in this thread is a perfect example. They DID have satellite communication, yet somehow, it didn't prevent them from getting in over their head or miraculously improve the riders ability to climb out of the zone they decided to drop into. No one is perfect and mistakes happen, but it seems to become more prevalent each season.
You are right and wrong, more people out and better equipment gets more people doing more. That is a good thing, and as someone who has worked with search and rescue and programs since 1995 I have seen that increase. Mercedes claims to make a death proof car, guarentee it wont make you drive off a cliff and give it a whirl. People often over extend themselves, that is why the most important thing I promote is a "safety plan" which most people other and here do not have, no back up for when something goes wrong. This is education that we as users have to think about with our group, and our families. And texting and emailing actually saves time and rescue efforts. Yes it is true a safety devise is no replacement for good decisions, but it ain't a either one, its having both. Like all the avy gear, you need to have it know how to use it and most importantly make good decisions so you never have to use it! But if you do, you have it, have a plan and hope it saves a life! Get out there, get the right gear and educate yourself and your group.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
I will add as well, if these guys just needed a safety bump out of terrain they rode into, then even though search and rescue will never charge, they should pony up for their rescue. They may have done this, but if not should seriously think about a big donation. One thing I will add is I keep a cc at the local heli company, if I need a ride I can call for one, the payment is on me but ensures i get a quick ride out to the hospital. It is something any one can arrange. and a good thing to consider is having the local heli company email or number so you can ask for their help, at your cost.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually no it most cases it is not, this issue with sat phone, been using them for 20 years, is that number one they are expensive, for a good one, and minutes are even more money. So guys usually don't use them much, they sit in their case, then when you go to use them, they forget how to use them, usually using a cheat sheet they made. They also can be finnicky in the mountains as they need a constant link to satellite otherwise you are hearing every 5th word which makes no sense to the rescue effort. Of course a sat phone is better than nothing but usually there will be only one in a group, say that guy goes down, then what? Personal locators make it cheap, simple and easy for all users and there should be 2 in a group of 2 and at least 3 in a group of 5. They only need one hook to a sat for a brief moment to send the message and one to get back so reliability and understanding is way better. sat phone is 1000.00 plus 500 bucks for minutes , sat communication is 260.00 and 25 bucks a month for the winter months...then you can put on hold for 5 bucks if you dont do anthing else. Pretty easy decision.

Iridium extreme sat phone has tracking, texting, push button sos and the ablity to talk which is huge in a real emergency situation imo. It uses the exact same network,does all the same stuff, plus you can talk...

It is stand alone, so you dont need to pair with a cell phone that probably wasnt made for extreme weather conditions.

Yes its more money, but you get what you pay for... and its phuk all for someone with a 2500$ speedometer.

Ill be the guy with the sat phone for my piece of mind, others in the group (that changes constantly from year to year) can buy what ever they want.

I have also used them for 20+ years in real emergency situations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom