Lookin for an Argo!

Nadz

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying an older argo. I've never owned one and would like to know more about them. All I know right now is, where I would attempt to go with it.:waterskiing::hand: Lol!:d

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I'm thinking of buying an older argo. I've never owned one and would like to know more about them. All I know right now is, where I would attempt to go with it.:waterskiing::hand: Lol!:d

They will go darn near anywhere, but we had to put a motor on ours for water crossings...it will move with the tires but very slow...Ours was never totally water proof either, but would go almost anywhere...

Changed oil in it occasionally if we remembered, next to zero maitenance...great machine, not fast, not fancy, just reliable

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also watch for the old ones if they had roll pins in the axle shafts stay away do not buy. nothing suxs more than being in a floating bog and you brake a roll pin and are down a wheel they become quite useless. we had seval growing up the i belive you want like 87 and up they had splind axles and less issues. Also a six wheeler is way better for tight trails and mud. We had a 6 wheeler when i was young that had a sled engine in and it went like hell, then we upgraded to the 6x6 bigfoot and that was by far the best one we had. Learned these thing inside out carry master chain links with you and get a good winch cause when they get stuck you are stuck, great fun for the family just to get out and putts around in. Oh and great for hunting the places you can get that you could only dream of with a quad is amasing.

mudd kitty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup pretty kick azz machine. But if ur running it hard they do break especially if u run tracks on it. Axles snap and they are a pain in the ass to change. As well I would always have extra teflon chain tightners and chains and a comealong if u flip a track off!
They go anywhere the ones we ran had no problem floating and directing with the tracks it gives u more of a paddle not much....... but more. A stuck stick is ur friend! I'd love to get one too but even a decent used one ur lookin at $12000-15000 and that's without much for extras.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

meadowmuffen

Reaction score
As a contractor working for oil companies,I was taxied around to remote well sites via a 8 wheeled/tracked Argo.It was soo good it was dangerious.Drive chain broke in a swamp & we could not walk out.(too swampy) Had to wait 4 hours for a second operator to get us out.

bcham5

Reaction score
As a contractor working for oil companies,I was taxied around to remote well sites via a 8 wheeled/tracked Argo.It was soo good it was dangerious.Drive chain broke in a swamp & we could not walk out.(too swampy) Had to wait 4 hours for a second operator to get us out.

Sweet im looking forward to using the new one our company bought us lol

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call CS auto in plamondon AB and ask for Boyd, he picked up a few argos at auction to fix up and flip. not sure if he has any left, they are a hot moose hunting machine

Eagle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have one for sale on Kijiji. 2006 Avenger 750 loaded. 166 Hours. $ 20,000.00 obo. Call Duane 780-849-7557 Slave Lake,AB:beer::beer:

Attachments

• argo 002.jpg
    argo 002.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 114
  • argo 007.jpg
    argo 007.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 106
  • argo 008.jpg
    argo 008.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 119
  • argo 006.jpg
    argo 006.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 109

Filthy

Reaction score
They are very high maitnence once you get over about 200hrs on them. I use one every day for work and myself and my co worker put on about 900hrs a year. The Avengers had problems with the axle flange breaking off on the welds, argo has updated them now but we were getting custom axles made at Allwest Compressor in Lac La Biche. A few other problems we had were the frames breaking under the engine mounts, track lacing and chains wearing out at about 200hrs and the tubs would get stressed from the weight of the roll cage then the tracks wouls wear through the side of the tub! Every 10hrs we would grease the bearings, lube chains and cut the grass from the axle seals. And I would stay away from the used Argo's at CS Auto in Plamondon, those are our old Argo's from work!

stephen189

Reaction score
O man...ha ha thats funny, Who ever said Argos are low maintenance doesn't have many hours behind the wheel of one.

Like Filthy said, they are very high maintenance, very difficult to maintain and very complicated, problematic machines.

Chains break, axles break, cracked frames, fuel pumps go....on and on.

You better have deep pockets for repairs if you privately own an Argo.

I use one every day at work and they are a nightmare, I would Never spend my own money on one.

Thank god we got the diesel centaur, much better (and pricey) machine

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are very high maitnence once you get over about 200hrs on them. I use one every day for work and myself and my co worker put on about 900hrs a year. The Avengers had problems with the axle flange breaking off on the welds, argo has updated them now but we were getting custom axles made at Allwest Compressor in Lac La Biche. A few other problems we had were the frames breaking under the engine mounts, track lacing and chains wearing out at about 200hrs and the tubs would get stressed from the weight of the roll cage then the tracks wouls wear through the side of the tub! Every 10hrs we would grease the bearings, lube chains and cut the grass from the axle seals. And I would stay away from the used Argo's at CS Auto in Plamondon, those are our old Argo's from work!

yea i didnt say they were mint, but i did say they were doing a once over on them to make them good for re sale, i know the owners, one being my first cousin, and i know he wouldnt screw anyone

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea i didnt say they were mint, but i did say they were doing a once over on them to make them good for re sale, i know the owners, one being my first cousin, and i know he wouldnt screw anyone

not trying to start a fight but argos are famous for hiding problems until the most unopportune moment when you in the middle of nowhere then showing up. things a salesperson will never see or notice. I have a buddy that is soooo maticulous with his argo and drives it in low range only but the damn thing has left us stranded so many times! but they are awesome if they can hold together i will say that.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ya I know. But this guy has owned an Argo for a few yrs and used them in the oil patch. He is not a salesman lol. I have pictures for days of us in his Argo hunting our trapeline in house river.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1.5 hours south of fort mac!
See we know a few things about how these machines break. Luckily it was close to the cabin.

d3729747.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom