Silencer's

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just looking on Cabela's web page and think I might go with "small game broad head" for my bow.

Or my wife just got a 22 LR, I'm sure that would be quieter than my Camo pellet gun lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looking on Cabela's web page and think I might go with "small game broad head" for my bow.

Or my wife just got a 22 LR, I'm sure that would be quieter than my Camo pellet gun lol
I don’t believe a .22 would be quieter than a pellet gun

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus shooting in a town with a .22 is pretty dangerous. The bullet will travel much farther than a pellet will. Personally I think a BB gun is the answer. You won’t kill them but if you hit them enough times they will move on and bother someone else

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t believe a .22 would be quieter than a pellet gun
I'm going to have to try this...... I really think that my pellet gun that shoots 1200 fps, is louder than a 22
Will have to find a field and give it a try

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess I'll look into getting a BB gun

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus shooting in a town with a .22 is pretty dangerous. The bullet will travel much farther than a pellet will. Personally I think a BB gun is the answer. You won’t kill them but if you hit them enough times they will move on and bother someone else

Ya i wouldnt be shooting a 22 in town unless you want to go to prison

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
plenty of air rifles with silencers available but know the laws before you buy.
i've got an edgun lelya in .177
comes with an integral suppressor and another can be added to it which is what i did.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can't see a 22 in long rifle being quieter than an airgun with the exception of the big bore airguns like 9mm, 50 cal, etc.
if your pellet is breaking the sound barrier which at 1200fps it may be, then that will add to the overall noise plus shooting at those speeds typically degrade accuracy because the pellet tumbles.
shoot a heavier grain pellet to lower the feet per second.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
plenty of air rifles with silencers available but know the laws before you buy.
i've got an edgun lelya in .177
comes with an integral suppressor and another can be added to it which is what i did.
Yeah I wouldn’t shoot one of those in town either. They will do more damage to a gopher than a 22 will. Faster velocity.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn’t shoot one of those in town either. They will do more damage to a gopher than a 22 will. Faster velocity.
if you're referring to the typical .177 pellet and .22 long rifle round--the 22 has many times the foot pounds of energy. i can turn up the pressure on my air rifle to increase the power but as i mentioned earlier, accuracy is significantly reduced around the sound barrier and that's because of the shape of most pellets.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you're referring to the typical .177 pellet and .22 long rifle round--the 22 has many times the foot pounds of energy. i can turn up the pressure on my air rifle to increase the power but as i mentioned earlier, accuracy is significantly reduced around the sound barrier and that's because of the shape of most pellets.
Sorry. Misread. Was thinking .17

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you have the 177 pellet gun, at 495ft/sec, look up air rifle dieseling, fill "cup", back of pellet with Vaseline ,or vics vapor rub, and shoot? should up the F/sec and eliminate your problem should still be quiet, and you should pick up an extra +/-200 ft/sec.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ll probably look into a BB gun like Dan posted.
I don’t have an issue firing ant gun in town. Everything is legal until you get caught lol. And jail isn’t that scary

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you have the 177 pellet gun, at 495ft/sec, look up air rifle dieseling, fill "cup", back of pellet with Vaseline ,or vics vapor rub, and shoot? should up the F/sec and eliminate your problem should still be quiet, and you should pick up an extra +/-200 ft/sec.
Did that with my .177 pellet gun. The pellet when clean through a 2x4. I sprayed a little wd40 on the pellet. The gun kicked more than normal. this is really hard on the gun. Mine is a piston, and it's like dry firing. Not good in the long run

Top Bottom