Is my engine pooched?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I dropped it off at the dealer a couple weeks ago and when they changed the oil they found plastic shavings inside, so they took apart the engine and found a factory defect, the whole engine had to come out and just waiting on parts now.

Glad to here it's working out! I wonder what's plastic inside the motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to here it's working out! I wonder what's plastic inside the motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some chain was put on too tight from factory and it took out a plastic bushing or something. They said that I most likely wouldn't of made it through that ride even if the oil cap was on. I'll know more about it tomorrow.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, probably the timing chain was to tight... they have now a different set up with plastic pieces in there! lol
probably the tensioner...

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the timing chain tensioner is one way of telling how long your Rotax motor will last.... in the early models the adjusters where kinda crappy and bikes needed to look at this at about 6 to 7000 km.. cause we all know what happens when the timing chain breaks along with the adjuster... carnage! lol

the later models from 09 0r 10 on had better adjusters and better chains.... the secret is OIL CHANGES often...500 to 700k is a good number...

We used my cams out of my 800 in my Maverick Motor and with 8500k on the motor... the adjuster was Half worn... so the motor had no reason not to last another 8500k....
and was super clean inside...

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, went out for a ride today. Good news is the oil cap was on tight. But half way through my ride I blew out a axle trying to crawl out of this hole. And No the wheels were not cranked in one direction when it blew. Ended up being stuck for 4 hours trying to get this pos out without 4X4. Snapped the winch line too trying to winch out. Kinda wrecked a good weekend for riding. uploadfromtaptalk1399771534231.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1399771558646.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1399771577925.jpg

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sxs might not be for you....ya got to know when to back off.....
Just sayin.....they all will break in the right situation !

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sxs might not be for you....ya got to know when to back off.....
Just sayin.....they all will break in the right situation !

Well seriously though.. its a xmr. Pretty pathetic the axles can't handle mud. I could see if the wheels were cranked all the way in one direction and I nutted on it, but this was pretty much straight on as you can see in the pics. As soon as it happened I got out and took pics

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An xmr is a snorkeled Mavrick, same axles bigger tires........i can break axles on any machine in the right conditions. It happens with all machines in tough conditions is all i am saying........
Could be ice underneath ,a root etc........Its the price you pay for fun.

My point is rzr,wildcat, etc etc ,all of them will snap axles with bigger tires in the right conditions..........

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HaHa... Newbie. Get a jeep.
lol....I wouldn't wish that on anyone. had 2 of 'em come with us to GC a couple years back, they were all like "yeah, these will go where any side by side goes and then some..." both ended up breaking down on our trip to the kakwa. but they had heaters and windshield wipers I guess so they had that going for them

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the sport for you is knitting, I had sympathy for your oil cap issue, but axle breakage is driver error. I can tell by the mud on your machine that you like the foot down. Your going to break ****, welcome to atving. Figure out what kind of riding your going to do, if it's mostly mudding then beef up that machine. The hidden gems in the mud and muskeg will break you down.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the sport for you is knitting, I had sympathy for your oil cap issue, but axle breakage is driver error. I can tell by the mud on your machine that you like the foot down. Your going to break ****, welcome to atving. Figure out what kind of riding your going to do, if it's mostly mudding then beef up that machine. The hidden gems in the mud and muskeg will break you down.

So it's driver error cause I have mud on my machine lol man it's a machine built for mud, and I know these things break, but usually it doesn't happen on the second ride with only 60km. Pretty gay but oh well. And ps I'm not new to atving. Been riding quads for 14 years.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. All these guys saying the axels break all the time are obviously riding other utvs? The Xmr is the only purpose built mud machine that I know of? I think it's fair to say it should hold up Better than your average razor or wildcat.. Totally unacceptable considering how it is marketed. Same axels? We'll that's pretty piss poor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. All these guys saying the axels break all the time are obviously riding other utvs? The Xmr is the only purpose built mud machine that I know of? I think it's fair to say it should hold up Better than your average razor or wildcat.. Totally unacceptable considering how it is marketed. Same axels? We'll that's pretty piss poor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Exactly. You would think it would come with beefed up axles.

mzdspd

Reaction score
A friend of a friend just got a maverick and rolled it with 6kms... Doesn/t get much worse then that haha

Rotax Mulisha

Reaction score
If your ripping on the throttle and the tires hook up with something harder, like clay or a root, its going to damage something.
Unless you take it slow to find the limits, it will be a pricey trial and error experience. Been there.

Wash it up and twist the dealers arm for warranty!

Top Bottom