Is my engine pooched?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would winch it onto a trailer and let the dealer do his thing...........I would NOT flush it ,start it ,ETC ETC......It is your dealers issue...
Playing with fire.....IMO.

togo ripper

Reaction score
I would winch it onto a trailer and let the dealer do his thing...........I would NOT flush it ,start it ,ETC ETC......It is your dealers issue...
Playing with fire.....IMO.
I agree take it to dealer but if they won't do anything that's the best way to flush

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the manual mention anything about doing a "pre-trip" inspection of the machine before operating, such as checking the oil or fluids? Just asking. Good luck!

Yes bet it would , but pre trip it would of had oil ect....

sent while I should be drinking tea's

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it says first thing in the manual, but it is definately mentioned. When my father taugh me about machines rule 1 was check the oil, then start what ever it is, still living by this rule.

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont think your Engine is "Hootched", but agree to take it to dealer before you do anything to it yourself, as you can always flush it after, and you dont want to dig yourself deeper in a hole if not needed, I am sure they will help you, judging you had no more than 30k on it. These engine's are virtually indestructible, I think you will be fine either way, I have faith. .....

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Believe me when I say that to save a Rotax from mud and water injection is like winning the 649.. im serious... 99.9% the motor is just a ticking time bomb... I have been in the can-am racket since January of 07... and the way I know my machines... and what I have heard and seen... the engine will not live...

Dealer and I would also set up a claim with can-am direct stating your concerns with the dealer dyening it, maybe...

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can flush till the cows come home! lol

im a million years you won't get all the mud out..... Rotax Motors have gullys and bends that will never flush clean...
the only way these areas get clean is when you run your machine with the new oil in it thinking everything is ok...
till the mud gets into the crank bearings.....done

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can flush till the cows come home! lol

im a million years you won't get all the mud out..... Rotax Motors have gullys and bends that will never flush clean...
the only way these areas get clean is when you run your machine with the new oil in it thinking everything is ok...
till the mud gets into the crank bearings.....done

You may very well be right , as I am certainly no expert, do think it is worth a try , if there is no other avenues left , did read somewhere that they used a 50/50 mix of diesel fuel and transmission oil for a flush, as transmission oil gets into every crevice, Either way, I hope it works out well at the end

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Believe me when I say that to save a Rotax from mud and water injection is like winning the 649.. im serious... 99.9% the motor is just a ticking time bomb... I have been in the can-am racket since January of 07... and the way I know my machines... and what I have heard and seen... the engine will not live...

Dealer and I would also set up a claim with can-am direct stating your concerns with the dealer dyening it, maybe...
I too have been beating up Can-Ams since 2007. I personally have drowned my 800's more than a dozen times over the years and I have NEVER opened up a single engine in that time. And it's not like I don't put miles on my machines as I'm a guide. 4000 miles a year. You must have bad luck or? Maybe I'm that exeption? I'm not saying don't take it to the dealer though.

i must add though that I've never been swamped in "concrete" mud. I'm smarter than that. Haha

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too have been beating up Can-Ams since 2007. I personally have drowned my 800's more than a dozen times over the years and I have NEVER opened up a single engine in that time. And it's not like I don't put miles on my machines as I'm a guide. 4000 miles a year. You must have bad luck or? Maybe I'm that exeption? I'm not saying don't take it to the dealer though.

i must add though that I've never been swamped in "concrete" mud. I'm smarter than that. Haha
I suspect the difference is whether swamped in "clearish" water or swamped in soup/mud. Either way, sure hope the OP's dealer takes care of him.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mud or silt inside the engine could be bad, any residual water I think would boil out as oil temp can get above 200 F easily on an engine especially a side by side.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow...you are the first I have heard off... serious... so many on the talk, can-am forums, can-am monsters on FB have not been able to save there motors.. everyone that I have seen post on a swamped motor has eventually posted that motor came apart .... like dave said, clean water... but you get actually mud in there with it... well it wont all come out imo.... you got to feel lucky SUM... I would be buying lotto tickets! hehe

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow...you are the first I have heard off... serious... so many on the talk, can-am forums, can-am monsters on FB have not been able to save there motors.. everyone that I have seen post on a swamped motor has eventually posted that motor came apart .... like dave said, clean water... but you get actually mud in there with it... well it wont all come out imo.... you got to feel lucky SUM... I would be buying lotto tickets! hehe
my buddy sank his 400 outlander in the mud along the bank of the peace river, had to leave it until the next day. came back and the river had gone up and down...it was right full of silt, totally fawked the engine. tore it down, thought it was all cleaned out...rebuilt it and it ran for one mile until it lost compression again. motor toast, ended up buying a brand new engine.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should add, my 400 outty has been drowned at least 5 or 6 times....but it was clean water each time. the worst was in rocky, it washed downstream upside down for almost a kilometer until it hung up in some willow roots. thought she was a goner lol

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but it's the owners responsibility to ensure everything on their machine is secure. Didn't you check your oil level prior to your ride?

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but it's the owners responsibility to ensure everything on their machine is secure. Didn't you check your oil level prior to your ride?
So when you get a brand new car or something from a dealer you check all your oil and fluids and stuff before you drive it? Probably not...

Top Bottom