Is my engine pooched?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An xmr is a snorkeled Mavrick, same axles bigger tires........i can break axles on any machine in the right conditions. It happens with all machines in tough conditions is all i am saying........
Could be ice underneath ,a root etc........Its the price you pay for fun.

My point is rzr,wildcat, etc etc ,all of them will snap axles with bigger tires in the right conditions..........

i'm glad you didn't list a ranger in this list of break down machines lol.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
So it's driver error cause I have mud on my machine lol man it's a machine built for mud, and I know these things break, but usually it doesn't happen on the second ride with only 60km. Pretty gay but oh well. And ps I'm not new to atving. Been riding quads for 14 years.
I've been riding quads for that long too and I've twisted a few axles in my time while riding them. Pretty much the same size of axles in my quad and UTV but now add at least 600lbs and a bunch of horse power. You might be able to move that thing back and forth in a mud hole and think you're not stuck but it takes a real man to admit defeat and spool out your winch cable before you're completely phucked. Bought my first side by side in 2008 and it took some damage before I learned a lesson or two. Good luck with the repair.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it's driver error cause I have mud on my machine lol man it's a machine built for mud, and I know these things break, but usually it doesn't happen on the second ride with only 60km. Pretty gay but oh well. And ps I'm not new to atving. Been riding quads for 14 years.

if you broke the winch cable, what are we to think? as neville says. throttle control is your friend, i also hope to learn it this summer, or it will get expensive.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. All these guys saying the axels break all the time are obviously riding other utvs? The Xmr is the only purpose built mud machine that I know of? I think it's fair to say it should hold up Better than your average razor or wildcat.. Totally unacceptable considering how it is marketed. Same axels? We'll that's pretty piss poor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

haha, you need another doolaid ? bud lol

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6 km or 6000 km, makes no difference, axles dont break from fatigue, they break from throttle.

Its not the machines fault you tried that hole and lost. You made the decision to try it in the first place.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jjeeze i cant beleive how many people think this is totally ok to have this many problems on a machine worth 25,000 designed specifically for mud holes with 60km on it.

ya i get it axels break but on the first ride? sounds like an expensive hobby i guess

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jjeeze i cant beleive how many people think this is totally ok to have this many problems on a machine worth 25,000 designed specifically for mud holes with 60km on it.

ya i get it axels break but on the first ride? sounds like an expensive hobby i guess
give me a brand new machine and I could break an axle in 5 minutes. it's all in the technique. I have it down pat

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup, pretty gay spending 25 grand on a machine and have it not even make it through the first ride cause of the oil cap wasn't on and the timing chain was on too tight from factory, then sit at the dealer for 2 weeks, then have a axle break the day after I pick up up so now the machine will be at the dealer for another two weeks. Maybe In June I can make it through a full day ride with this thing lol

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you breaking the steel rod or the cv joint part i have taken out the joint but never snapped the rod between the joints

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you breaking the steel rod or the cv joint part i have taken out the joint but never snapped the rod between the joints

uploadfromtaptalk1399819048645.jpg

Rotax Mulisha

Reaction score
I snapped one on my XMR quad in the snow this winter with little effort, stock sucks.

I did the same thing on my Commander. 5 min joyride turned into hours of repair work.
Chewing through some deep snow and when I tried to go over a little snowbank the front tires hooked into some hard, ice glazed snow.
Twisted both axles splines inside the front diff and broke a yoke and universal joint on the prop shaft.
Thankfully Turner axles have great warranty.
axles twist2.jpg axle twist1.jpg

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, pretty gay spending 25 grand on a machine and have it not even make it through the first ride cause of the oil cap wasn't on and the timing chain was on too tight from factory, then sit at the dealer for 2 weeks, then have a axle break the day after I pick up up so now the machine will be at the dealer for another two weeks. Maybe In June I can make it through a full day ride with this thing lol

You say you did this on your first days after getting the machine and getting it back from dealer. What did you do for a break-in time? Buy it one day and rip the crap out the next? Would maybe a good idea to give the parts a chance to break-in a bit before you stress them to the max. That looked like a pretty extreme hole to be getting into. JMHO just a suggestion. If I spent $25,000.00 on a unit I would want to take it easy and break it in instead of breaking it. Are axles a warranty item?? I have never had a issue but I only have a 500 Outlander

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You say you did this on your first days after getting the machine and getting it back from dealer. What did you do for a break-in time? Buy it one day and rip the crap out the next? Would maybe a good idea to give the parts a chance to break-in a bit before you stress them to the max. That looked like a pretty extreme hole to be getting into. JMHO just a suggestion. If I spent $25,000.00 on a unit I would want to take it easy and break it in instead of breaking it. Are axles a warranty item?? I have never had a issue but I only have a 500 Outlander

What so I'm just gonna ride ditches or roads to break it in lol the hole wasn't even that bad uploadfromtaptalk1399844307925.jpg

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What could be "broken in" on an axle that would stop it from breaking?

Break in on anything is a relic from days gone by IMO

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. All these guys saying the axels break all the time are obviously riding other utvs? The Xmr is the only purpose built mud machine that I know of? I think it's fair to say it should hold up Better than your average razor or wildcat.. Totally unacceptable considering how it is marketed. Same axels? We'll that's pretty piss poor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

I agree. I have been looking at the Maverik xmr for the exact reason that it's good to go...Just pin it.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can lend you a quad until the sxs is fixed.

Already a little damaged.

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the sport for you is knitting, I had sympathy for your oil cap issue, but axle breakage is driver error. I can tell by the mud on your machine that you like the foot down. Your going to break ****, welcome to atving. Figure out what kind of riding your going to do, if it's mostly mudding then beef up that machine. The hidden gems in the mud and muskeg will break you down.
No knitting without safety glasses! He barely has 100km on his machine and you encourage him to use needles.

Top Bottom