Is my engine pooched?

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went for the first real ride on my new 1000 maverick xmr today, after just less than a hour of bombing through deep water and putting this machine to the test I got a check engine light and low oil warning in limp home mode. So I lifted up the passenger seat to look at the oil cap and this is what I found. The oil cap wasnt even on from the pdi or it was on very lose and vibrated off. I put the dip stick back in and the oil level was so low it wouldn't even touch the dipstick. How much water could of reached my engine? Is there a safety feauture that will shut the engine off if there is no oil in the engine? uploadfromtaptalk1397853756439.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1397853780038.jpg

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think much if any got in your engine if the level was so low it didn't show on the stick, but the oil that's sprayed around there sure looks milky from water.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be taking the whole mess back to the dealer ,let them fix it if they missed tightening dipstick.Probably denie they did it but how else would it spray out like that.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not too happy with this. I'm sure everyone knows how much these xmrs cost, and I only got 30kms on it. Complete bs. All that water Is forsure not good for the break in.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heads up....They are gonna say you drowned it Take pics of your air box, air filter and down your belt intake air inlet,exhaust.....
Date them PRIOR to taking machine in......Once she is apart,your word against theirs.........

Good luck.............

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck. I think the engine is done.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sure hope you have a real good relationship with your dealer or you are in for a hell of a battle. imo

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Change the oil 5 or more times, until it's not milky anymore. Put a fresh filter and new oil after the milk is gone and ride that machine. Unfortunately if you want to play in this sport you better check your machine yourself, never expect the dealer to cover you. I've drowned a Can Am or two, their still running strong, have seen many other swamped machines that are still running strong. We pack used oil with us just incase something like this happens, way cheaper to use the used oil to flush the water out. Ride,Wreck,Repair,Repeat, that's the way it goes.

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
you may not want to even tell the dealer what happened,if it still runs ok flush the engine good new oil and try it,if it burns up then just act stupid and say don't know what happened.at least that way you get engine warrenty.Dealer might just say should read your manual that says to check your oil brfore starting and then your screwed

Last edited:

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got back my stolen Rincon after two and a half years. No dipstick at all and the base was full of water. Had to have the top end rebuilt cause it sat in the bush for two years and the head was popped. oil had to be changed about 15 times to get rid of the milk. The bottom end was not touched and it is still runnin great and the rebuild was done 2 winters ago. Spent the first winter after the rebuild plowin snow on my buddies acerage so it got worked good and no issues. As stated above change ur oil a few times to get rid of the milk and you will probalbly be fine. Still a ****ty deal though. Good luck.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Change the oil 5 or more times, until it's not milky anymore. Put a fresh filter and new oil after the milk is gone and ride that machine. Unfortunately if you want to play in this sport you better check your machine yourself, never expect the dealer to cover you. I've drowned a Can Am or two, their still running strong, have seen many other swamped machines that are still running strong. We pack used oil with us just incase something like this happens, way cheaper to use the used oil to flush the water out. Ride,Wreck,Repair,Repeat, that's the way it goes.

I think part of the PDI is making sure the machine is ready to go...

I would expect the dealer to cover it...

Rotax Mulisha

Reaction score
Ya flushing the engine has worked for a bunch of people in certain scenarios.
BUT, when someone swamps an engine they normally are able to shut it off immediately, it is not good to crank the engine after water is in the system. unfortunately you ran the engine with water in it.
Very likely could have damaged it. Engine builders that have experience with Rotax highly recommend pulling the engine apart to clean and rebuild it, and thats when some people decide to go with a big bore kit.
Sorry dude, bad deal.

Top Bottom