Illegal snowmobiling at Bow Summit, Banff Nat'l Park

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
politicians like heliskiing.

and i beleive your right. typically when your heliskiing all your money stays in the resort..not to say that the resort doesnt spend in the local towns but im just guessing now..

most often the only way they see town is from the air..

land at airport.... picked up by chopper, flown to full serevice resort, and when done flown back to the airport to catch a plane.

I would be interested to find out if the resort even buys anything local.... I'd bet most supplies are flown in.....hell if I had a chopper I'd fly to Seattle for groceries....

muffin

Reaction score
i think there a person called modman on this site that wonders why the sport is dying . read the smart azz imputs on this thread and you will have part of your answer, yes there is some good , but oh so many not so good. these are the people now forming the sport so how can it not die a horrible death with the attitude shown . once again , glad i have had a good 40 years at this sport , partytime may be here but the good times are gone or dying :beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think there a person called modman on this site that wonders why the sport is dying . read the smart azz imputs on this thread and you will have part of your answer, yes there is some good , but oh so many not so good. these are the people now forming the sport so how can it not die a horrible death with the attitude shown . once again , glad i have had a good 40 years at this sport , partytime may be here but the good times are gone or dying :beer:

uhh who gave the smart azz inputs?

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
Seems the gist of this thread has gone off the rails, but seriously, read below, if you have any info to help out, it would go a long way to helping our sport,,

Hi Folks,

Parks Canada has asked for assistance regarding the incident below. If you have any information that can help Parks Canada please contact Marc directly.

Park Wardens in Banff National Park are investigating an illegal
snowmobiling incident last week between March 15 to 17 at Bow Summit. The
vehicle associated with this incident is a black Dodge pick-up with a red
fuel tank pulling a trailer with Saskatchewan plates. If anyone was in the
area at the time and can offer any information, it would be appreciated.
You can send it to me and I will forward to them.

Thanks,

Marc Ledwidge
Manager, Visitor Safety Program
Banff, Yoho and Kootenay National Parks
220 Hawk Avenue
Box 900, Banff, AB
T1L 1K2
Ph: 403-762-1401
www.parksmountainsafety.ca
www.parcsecuritemontagne.ca

Doo800ho

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's your point? Anyone should be able to do anything they want on all Crown land? Including parks?

did i say do anything on crown land or parks. my point was that we should have alot more say as to were we can and can't ride. sleds do way less damage to land than quads or bikes.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This attitude and the worry of if quads should be allowed are rediculous reasons for saying OHV should not be in the parks.

Simple: The warden deems that the snow depth is sufficient not to damage the underlying ground and ride what you want. They could have rules for noise or emmissions but if you want to take a quad, it will need to have tracks to get anywhere. As for the quote above, unbelievable! Have you ever walked the tracks of CP Rail and seen the mess? Old mops covered in tar, old oil cans, old track, etc. Now look at the ski crowd. Are their cars less likely to spill fuel or are they less likely to throw garbage out the window. We already have plenty of laws in place to deal with these types of things.:eek:
Chris I agree with you 100%, they should open up the parks to sledders in the winter. If you think about it, the environmetal impact a ski resort has on and area compaired to 50 sleds( especially e-tec's:d:d) is insane,at the end of the day it's all about $$$$$$$$$$$. 6000 skiers just at sunshine on the weekend make parks canada alot of mooola. As a fomer ski bum, I'll tell you that the parking lot and underneath the ski lifts looks like a garbage dump in the summer/spring.
Riding the back bowls of Sunshine and Lakelouise is on my bucket list BTW....

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heh if they opened up the parks to sledding, glacier national park will be the mega stop for sledders if you ask me, frick get up to the illecillewaet glacier :d you could merely just pull over to the side of the road and ride.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems the gist of this thread has gone off the rails, but seriously, read below, if you have any info to help out, it would go a long way to helping our sport,,

Hi Folks,

Parks Canada has asked for assistance regarding the incident below. If you have any information that can help Parks Canada please contact Marc directly.

Park Wardens in Banff National Park are investigating an illegal
snowmobiling incident last week between March 15 to 17 at Bow Summit. The
vehicle associated with this incident is a black Dodge pick-up with a red
fuel tank pulling a trailer with Saskatchewan plates. If anyone was in the
area at the time and can offer any information, it would be appreciated.
You can send it to me and I will forward to them.

Thanks,

Marc Ledwidge
Manager, Visitor Safety Program
Banff, Yoho and Kootenay National Parks
220 Hawk Avenue
Box 900, Banff, AB
T1L 1K2
Ph: 403-762-1401
Parks Canada - Mountain Safety
www.parcsecuritemontagne.ca

Yes has certainly gone off the rails. Wasn't me either. Interesting to see the name Marc Ledwidge. Used to ski with Marc once in a while when he worked for the Park Service in Jasper many years ago. Looks like he has relocated and got a promotion. Again, if this was some form of protest on their part not the best way to get a point across. The possibility does exist that if the area was not signed they may not have realized they were doing anything illegal.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes has certainly gone off the rails. Wasn't me either. Interesting to see the name Marc Ledwidge. Used to ski with Marc once in a while when he worked for the Park Service in Jasper many years ago. Looks like he has relocated and got a promotion. Again, if this was some form of protest on their part not the best way to get a point across. The possibility does exist that if the area was not signed they may not have realized they were doing anything illegal.

ah the park service loves these guys and going to send them some welcome to alberta paper work.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ummmmm......50,000 sleds in Calgary and no tracks until at least Golden? Jeez you'd think that if you were able to sled in the national park that there would be other tracks wouldn't ya? Or did they just figure that everyone from here liked to drive a few hrs for fun before unloading......they knew exactly what they were doing, probably had some liquid courage.

Anyone defending these ass hats needs to give their head a shake, they are the people destroying your sport.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ummmmm......50,000 sleds in Calgary and no tracks until at least Golden? Jeez you'd think that if you were able to sled in the national park that there would be other tracks wouldn't ya? Or did they just figure that everyone from here liked to drive a few hrs for fun before unloading......they knew exactly what they were doing, probably had some liquid courage.

Anyone defending these ass hats needs to give their head a shake, they are the people destroying your sport.

hey not sure if ya know where bow summit is ............

but its between lake lou and sask crossing.... they drove west from rocky mountain house i would say .....

so ur 50000 sled and no tracks to golden is wayyyyyyyyyyyy off....

also right up to the park boundry on highway 11 there are tracks.... with no signs anywhere after

before ya speak your mind think.....................

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

but its between lake lou and sask crossing.... they drove west from rocky mountain house i would say .....

also right up to the park boundry on highway 11 there are tracks.... with no signs anywhere after

As well it appears by the licence plate on the trailer that they are from Saskatchewan and for all we know they are allowed to sled in National Parks in Saskatchewan because they are certainly allowed to in some other provinces and other countries. Without a "no snowmobiles" sign on
Highway 11 when you enter the park it may not have been as obvious to them as it is to us from Alberta knowing the National Parks are taboo. Come to think of it I do not think there is a "no snowmobiles" sign on Highway 16 at the Jasper National Park boundary west of Hinton and on Highway 16 as well there are plenty of sled tracks in the ditch. Maybe it is time the federal government spent a bit of that money they are collecting at the National Park entrances on some proper signage on the highways leading into the parks.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As well it appears by the licence plate on the trailer that they are from Saskatchewan and for all we know they are allowed to sled in National Parks in Saskatchewan because they are certainly allowed to in some other provinces and other countries. Without a "no snowmobiles" sign on
Highway 11 when you enter the park it may not have been as obvious to them as it is to us from Alberta knowing the National Parks are taboo. Come to think of it I do not think there is a "no snowmobiles" sign on Highway 16 at the Jasper National Park boundary west of Hinton and on Highway 16 as well there are plenty of sled tracks in the ditch. Maybe it is time the federal government spent a bit of that money they are collecting at the National Park entrances on some proper signage on the highways leading into the parks.

like i said in a post before.... it doesn't give them the out to do it just cause.....there is no sign ...

but if it went to court i'm sure they would get out of it and then there would be signs up.....

mabe thats what needs to happen to fix it..........

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

my point was that with all the sleds east of the rockies, if you were riding there somewhere with no tracks and in a big green area on the map, wouldn't you question yourself why there were no tracks there?

my apologies to the forum police for having an opinion.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
my point was that with all the sleds east of the rockies, if you were riding there somewhere with no tracks and in a big green area on the map, wouldn't you question yourself why there were no tracks there?

Accepted......

Gotta agree, anyplace worth riding with highway exposure that can legally be ridden will be.... it's not like everyone else missed it...

Maybe a sign would have helped, but probably not.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

exactly.

ran into this last season. every square inch of a particular riding area was tracked out. but a few geniouses decided they would go over onto this beautiful area untouched! did they think the 99% of people riding that area didnt see the easy access and nice snow over there?

if your going into uncharted territory do your research before hand.

theres alot of places we would all like to go but our maps tell us otherwise before we park our rig on the highway and venture in.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

when we came through the summit on the 18th there was at least a 1 1/2 feet of new snow...... mabe they figured there was new snow and no one had rode there yet [ cause the tracks were covered ] .....

and sorry modman on what i said but a few times before u have been outa place by a bit on whats been said.....

just wanted to make sure ya knew where and when kind of thing

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and sorry modman on what i said but a few times before u have been outa place by a bit on whats been said.....

just wanted to make sure ya knew where and when kind of thing

Huh? I'd like an explanation on that statement just so I'm clear on what you are getting at.....

Top Bottom