Fernie Snow Conditions 2017 - 2018

Jvl

Reaction score
Wow coal creek was bumpy today, for the price that the club is charging these days! Feeling ripped off. Although it was nice that someone was there to help with parking at least.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Wow coal creek was bumpy today, for the price that the club is charging these days! Feeling ripped off. Although it was nice that someone was there to help with parking at least.

Go on the website, with the high avalanche concern they are not grooming coal Creek until further notice. Could always go to Morrissey

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you see this? I was just on the site but cannot find it? I must be missing it.

I is hidden sort of. If you go to the groomer report it says they aren't going down past Matheson. I also seen on Instagram or Facebook that they were only doing daylight grooming until conditions improve. I am fine with that, safety first. With the way conditions are I think I might take in the field day with Zac's rather than go playing. Good conditions for learning.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you see this? I was just on the site but cannot find it? I must be missing it.

Groomer’s Report
January 7 2018

Morrissey Staging to Wrangler’s
McEvoy / Coal Summit
Doug Dean
Rolling Hills to Matheson
Paige’s Draw

Note: No grooming from Matheson to Coal Creek staging area due to avalanche hazard / Coal Creek slide paths (approx 5km) and safety of our night grooming operators. We will return to regular grooming route once hazard is reduced.

It was in the groomers report for the 7th of January.

Jvl

Reaction score
Still charging tho. Seem a little greedy because the parking lot was full.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Nice to see you still don't add much to the conversation.

Feel free to get out an do something about it...

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Vertical Video...this has been a public service announcement.

At least the subject is framed in the shot...better than most vertical videos.

Nice pow

Hahaha.........I forgot all about that. It was well addressed on the pages a few years ago if I remember correctly. I will try that out today. Accessing through Morrissey as the bumps on Coal Creek to Matheson are horrendous.

One friggin' avy comes down in 100 years and the trail is unsafe. I'm thinking Elkford will never get groomed for most of the winter. There are 5 chutes(as well as other runout that many don't even know about) that can come down 3-4 times a year.

I agree with safety for the SnowCat operator but I feel there is a hidden agenda lurking. Do they shut down the CatSki operations?? I'm pretty much thinking FWA make their own decisions with transporting clients up to the top.

Jvl

Reaction score
Can't believe I agree with fernie snow. But I'm glad that someone else is saying something about it. It's a little hard to swallow that they still allow the parking lot to fill up and still charge the poor bastards. Guess you gotta pay for that groomer.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't believe I agree with fernie snow. But I'm glad that someone else is saying something about it. It's a little hard to swallow that they still allow the parking lot to fill up and still charge the poor bastards. Guess you gotta pay for that groomer.

So because 5 km out of what 50 km by the time you go to wranglers, back around the summit and down to Morrissey aren't groomed you think that is robbery charging people? Just buy a yearly. I am sure you go more than 5 or six days so should be paid for. Or hit up one of the other areas that isn't groomed and quit your bitching. Or better yet, go buy some land, put up no trespassing signs and keep it all to yourself.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has the club groomed the trail to the cabin from the pipeline side? How bad are the trails from the Corbin/Sparwood side ?

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they are still logging on the Tin shack road. That being said I have not heard of any plans to groom from either the Tin shack to the Macevoy or from the Yellow Gates to Coal Creek/Paiges. They are grooming Corbin regularly this year.

I do think that if they did a groom even every other week from either the Yellow Gates or Tin shack that would take a lot of pressure off of the Coal Creek and Morrissey staging areas. Myself being close enough to do day trips I would use Tin Shack or yellow Gates to access the the rolling hills.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So because 5 km out of what 50 km by the time you go to wranglers, back around the summit and down to Morrissey aren't groomed you think that is robbery charging people? Just buy a yearly. I am sure you go more than 5 or six days so should be paid for. Or hit up one of the other areas that isn't groomed and quit your bitching. Or better yet, go buy some land, put up no trespassing signs and keep it all to yourself.
What about last year when they got all our money and didn't groom at all . Yes i am going to bitch when they up our membership and still not groom the dam trail !!!

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is directed to all who ride safely . Be very aware of nut jobs who charge around in the rolling hills taking blind jumps like there is no one else out there. That is you idot in the blue suit riding a black summit. One of our group almost got landed on full force only missed by about a foot that would have been very very serious so come on guys be carefull we all have wives and kids who love us and want to see us home after having fun.

Jvl

Reaction score

So if you go out for dinner and the wait staff doesn't bring you your drinks first but charges you for them and do it on purpose, do you bitch and tell people about it or do you bend over and pay and say thanks that was great.
Only 5km? it seems more than that just to go to microwave tower road.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if you go out for dinner and the wait staff doesn't bring you your drinks first but charges you for them and do it on purpose, do you bitch and tell people about it or do you bend over and pay and say thanks that was great.
Only 5km? it seems more than that just to go to microwave tower road.

So what do you think a fair solution is?

If 10-20% of the circuit is not groomed due to avalanche precautions (6.15km to Matheson), would you be happy with a 10-20% reduction in trail fees? Maybe suggest that to the fee collector if you're staging at Coal Creek. I would say full price if you're staging at Morrissey.

Last edited:
Top Bottom