Fernie Snow Conditions 2017 - 2018

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Another great breakfast coming up this morning.........PPL is a great place to stay in Fernie with a sweet pub, beer store, and close to amenities.

IMG_1830.jpg

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another great breakfast coming up this morning.........PPL is a great place to stay in Fernie with a sweet pub, beer store, and close to amenities.

Was raining when I came through yesterday afternoon from the further Kootenays, hope you didn't have the inversions we were seeing.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great riding way south of Fernie yesterday...temps were between 0 and -2 ish...light snow. Found some great snow and none of the 4 of us hit anything significant.

The same cant be said for when we rode closer to Fernie. Snow was great closer in to Fernie, but the bottomless powder cost 3 lower Axys A-arms and one Ski-Doo 850 bulkhead.

Creamy good snow at the ski hill today and -3 at the top of the Timber chair...blowing snow.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
No more powder or at least none of the fluffy stuff. Snow is wet and getting heavy. Base making in progress. No carnage today nor were there any stumps. Decent riding today but one has to be deep in the trees and well off the beaten path.

Sorry, no pics today. Too busy riding. I guess I can share this one.........

IMG_1840.JPG

Getting tired of sawing stumps and buried trees.

Last edited:

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excellent day riding on Sunday, lots of untouched where we were.

Was thinking of getting a NoBoard for the new cutblocks up Coal Creek. Haven’t snowboarded for 15-20 years. How is it? Are they ok in low angle slopes or do they work best in the steeps?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It was a great day today. 30 cm of fresh at the Rolling Hills cabin by the end of the day. The snow is really settling (lots of whomphs) when you stop the sled(s). Wet, sticky snow and it will be a great base. Lots of stucks and hard work all day in the trees. Rookies have to remember to park downhill and go around the trees......

IMG_4818.jpg

IMG_4821.jpg

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinking of getting a NoBoard for the new cutblocks up Coal Creek. Haven’t snowboarded for 15-20 years. How is it? Are they ok in low angle slopes or do they work best in the steeps?

Get yourself a good size board with a pow specific shape and you can have a great time on some pretty mellow slopes. Don’t just throw a noboard pad on any old board, try and find a Fish or something like that

Scuba Steve

Reaction score
A couple of us are heading to Fernie this weekend to ride. Can anyone confirm if Coal Creek staging is closed for logging again this year?

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My powder surfer is better with a good grade. But im still learning as it’s different than a snowboard. It’s gotta be pow, run out on some hard pack and I’m down! No edge.

BLUE PLATE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Don't mess around with getting a noboard pad for a snowboard. Snow boards are for snowboarding. If you are going to get a board get a powsurf bindingless specific board. Our crew all ride sharksnowsurf boards[google it]. High quality bamboo powsurf specific boards. I hung up my burton fish with a noboard pad on it 7 years ago now, been riding a pow surf board ever since. Night and day difference. As for terrain, mellow terrain is great to learn on but as you progress you can pretty much ride anything as long as the snow is good.

Top Bottom