Fernie Snow Conditions 2017 - 2018

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it would be fair if they would have made the morrissey parking lot accessible when we went there first and it was a gong show. the cycleworks crew was double parked and blocking most of the road because you couldn,t go down the hill . It's not just grooming it's the package deal . Have you ever been to the other other areas in BC the clubs have a place to park and ride for your trail pass.

Jvl

Reaction score
I don't really have the right answer. I think that every trail user would think it should be a different amount don't you? I mean with all the clear cutting up matheson. A group could drive all the way from Calgary, un load at coal creek,spend two day in those cut and never go any further. Now I don't think it's fair for them to pay the full trail pass,but what amount I couldn't tell you. But if it was a private business they would want repeat customers wouldn't they? Why don't you ask some of the groups coming back at the end of the day what they think. Isn't grooming what people expect when paying for a trail pass?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I rode the bumps on Coal Creek for two days and today we decided to go to Morrissey. Trail was awesome all the way. Parking at Morrissey is another can of worms. Sign at the LodgePole junction suggests trailers should go to the lower lot and trucks to the upper lot. The only problem is the lower lot is not plowed. Pretty good gong show today.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode the bumps on Coal Creek for two days and today we decided to go to Morrissey. Trail was awesome all the way. Parking at Morrissey is another can of worms. Sign at the LodgePole junction suggests trailers should go to the lower lot and trucks to the upper lot. The only problem is the lower lot is not plowed. Pretty good gong show today.

So...they are charging sledders access fees on the (Alberta) east side, but are they not grooming to the cabin?

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a trail pass also includes other things like the use of the 2 cabins that the club has up coal creek, the ability to even sled up there, just to name a few imo ,
I don't really have the right answer. I think that every trail user would think it should be a different amount don't you? I mean with all the clear cutting up matheson. A group could drive all the way from Calgary, un load at coal creek,spend two day in those cut and never go any further. Now I don't think it's fair for them to pay the full trail pass,but what amount I couldn't tell you. But if it was a private business they would want repeat customers wouldn't they? Why don't you ask some of the groups coming back at the end of the day what they think. Isn't grooming what people expect when paying for a trail pass?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So...they are charging sledders access fees on the (Alberta) east side, but are they not grooming to the cabin?

Yes, the groomed trail going south from the townsite of Corbin has a trail pass vendor. You are paying for the groomed trail and all the other services the Fernie club offers. If you want a groomed trail to the Rolling Hills or Wrangler's cabin drive to Fernie and ride a groomed trail to the cabin (or maybe go to Morrissey due to avalanche concerns on the Coal Creek trail).

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it would be fair if they would have made the morrissey parking lot accessible when we went there first and it was a gong show. the cycleworks crew was double parked and blocking most of the road because you couldn,t go down the hill . It's not just grooming it's the package deal . Have you ever been to the other other areas in BC the clubs have a place to park and ride for your trail pass.

Our group gave up on large trailers years ago but I would agree that the parking areas could be cleared better than they have been at times. Keep in mind that the grooming schedule is not daily...you might have a couple days of pow to deal with when you get to the parking area. Chains and or tow straps may be required...and maybe shovels

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I laughed at that...looks like work.

The young guys I was with were bewildered; just couldn't imagine or figure out what to do. First thing to do was to get out the Sthil pruning saw (I've had that out a lot in the past week) and clear the branches we we could work. He never spun out and the Cat is just sort of parked there with the left ski resting against the tree trunk. In front of the Cat, we shovelled out the hard part of the tree well. A couple of pulling belts on the skis for a couple of tugs and it was hammer time. Those always make for get stories!

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow the snow in Fernie was awsome this week! Feeling it today just sitting on the couch watching football in recovery mode.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Wow the snow in Fernie was awsome this week! Feeling it today just sitting on the couch watching football in recovery mode.

I've had an awesome 12 days in a row. Some of my secret stashes I was able to hit 3 times and come across fresh. On the last day (Friday) there wasn't even an initial track in the area. First tracks this year!!

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, potentially heading out this Sunday. Avy conditions permitting.

Are we good to unload down Corbin way? I don't really remember where to unload there....it's a been a while. We used to unload I think roadside and ride to the gates. Should we be unloading elsewhere due to logging? We have radios with RR channels if need be.

Otherwise we will just drive the extra to Morrissey. Or coal Creek.

Cheers

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for some riding partners around Fernie for tommorow.. getting to town soon

Scuba Steve

Reaction score
Alright, potentially heading out this Sunday. Avy conditions permitting.

Are we good to unload down Corbin way? I don't really remember where to unload there....it's a been a while. We used to unload I think roadside and ride to the gates. Should we be unloading elsewhere due to logging? We have radios with RR channels if need be.

Otherwise we will just drive the extra to Morrissey. Or coal Creek.

Cheers

Our group rode Corbin last Saturday. We staged just inside the gates roughly 10 km down Corbin Road. Others with trailers staged on Corbin Road. There were probably 20 or so rigs parked there. There was no logging activity on the weekend that we saw.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
typically they don't log on the weekends. the crews need days off too
Our group rode Corbin last Saturday. We staged just inside the gates roughly 10 km down Corbin Road. Others with trailers staged on Corbin Road. There were probably 20 or so rigs parked there. There was no logging activity on the weekend that we saw.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the Intel.

Now hopefully the avys make their way to ***k-off ville.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Was the road plowed? Whether there is logging activity or not, it is illegal to travel on a plowed logging road with a snowmobile in BC. The CO's have been out and about and rumour has it that the ticket for this offence is $300+.

rmkcrazy

Reaction score
Coming down for the weekend to do some sledding.
to purchase a trail pass at the shacks is it cash only or do they take debit/visa?? Just don't want to get there and hold everyone up..also bringing so new riders tomountains for first time. Wondering if morresy is best unloading place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom