Do land owner own creeks

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Yes this thread has gone off topic. Trespassing is a whole new thread. I hate trespassers as much as the rest of you BUT if I have a nice fishable steam/creek running right through the middle of my property, a stream say like Prairie Creek, I can NOT deny access to the public for using that as recreational. This thread has nothing to do with fences or all your hard work in making yourself a nice purdy piece of property that people walk all over. Bottom line.... keep your grow op's off the creek banks cause you may lose them :rollinglaugh: :beerchug:

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes this thread has gone off topic. Trespassing is a whole new thread. I hate trespassers as much as the rest of you BUT if I have a nice fishable steam/creek running right through the middle of my property, a stream say like Prairie Creek, I can NOT deny access to the public for using that as recreational. This thread has nothing to do with fences or all your hard work in making yourself a nice purdy piece of property that people walk all over. Bottom line.... keep your grow op's off the creek banks cause you may lose them :rollinglaugh: :beerchug:
How come the Metis can stop you from fishing through the Bow River when it goes through the reserve outside of Calgary ??

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I"m not an expert on this topic, but here in BC most people respect any waterways due to salmon rehabilitation programs... & I like salmon on my dinner plate.. perhaps they don't migrate past the rockies eastward????

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I"m not an expert on this topic, but here in BC most people respect any waterways due to salmon rehabilitation programs... & I like salmon on my dinner plate.. perhaps they don't migrate past the rockies eastward????

no fish from bc come over the rockies into alberta. thats what the continental divide is, it divides the water drainage patterns. ALL water on the bc side flows west, and ALL water on the ab side flows east and north. But, I don't think that answers his original question...

bubba700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that this probably doesn't help because I'm down in the states, but here a landowner owns the property including the river bottom on non-navigable streams and rivers.....not many rivers fall under this catagory.........so he could post the property including the river itself.....

now, in the case of fishing, you can still get around it if you float a tube through without standing up or getting out of the water........many smaller streams this just isn't possible so you have to ask permission..

on the larger streams and rivers that are navigable, the landowner still owns the property but cannot limit access up to the high water mark

Actually for the states guys that read this that is not 100% correct, It depends on the state that you are in. The states set the right of way laws for rivers and streams. In Idaho For example it doesn't matter on wether it is navigable water. As long as you are below the high water mark, it is public property and the land owner cannot say a thing to you.

Eastcapeangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually for the states guys that read this that is not 100% correct, It depends on the state that you are in. The states set the right of way laws for rivers and streams. In Idaho For example it doesn't matter on wether it is navigable water. As long as you are below the high water mark, it is public property and the land owner cannot say a thing to you.

True Bubba. But also, if the body of water originates on private land, such as a spring or a slueth, it is considered private. That's what I've been told anyway.

Top Bottom