Do land owner own creeks

Ford01

Reaction score
Last weekend i was out by Coal lake near Gwynne AB and was quading on the creek that feeds into the lake. We rode about 10 km up the creek and turned around and came back down about 1km before we got back to the lake we where stopped by the RCMP and he said do you no your on privite property and i said no well he said you are and we are having lots of problems here with quad and sled rider starting fires and causing trouble with the land owners. He said i will let you go with a warning but if iam out there again i will get a fine and he will take my quads. Now lakes,rivers,steam,creeks are they not crown land and i can ride on them all i want as long as i don't go on the creek banks. Does anyone Know more about this

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
need more info than that ....if the creek is inside buddies land then yes ..stay out ....lets say dude has 40 acres ...inside the 40 is a pond ...well within parameters ...are you going to cut his fence just to go bob around on the pond? doubt it.
you can quad around on the part that isn't on his property providing the said section isn't inside somebody elses ...

BIG_BRUTE750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id say you should be allowed cause whats the differance if u go boating up a river u can do that no problem. i go quading on creeks rivers all the time and never herd of this...:beer::beer::beer:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
A creek or river is NOT owned by the private sector. I do not own the River that runs through my property nor do I own any property below the "FLOOD LINE" of the so called river. I was told you can not deny access to a fisherman as long as they are walking below the flood line of the creek or river. I would think quading or sledding on a frozen creek or river would hold the same value no? As for ponds well thats a given.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A creek or river is NOT owned by the private sector. I do not own the River that runs through my property nor do I own any property below the "FLOOD LINE" of the so called river. I was told you can not deny access to a fisherman as long as they are walking below the flood line of the creek or river. I would think quading or sledding on a frozen creek or river would hold the same value no? As for ponds well thats a given.

Agreed. I have been informed in the past that all waterways are considered federal Jurisdiction. Fisheries and Oceans I believe. Is there something that hands that control over to municipalities? Even then that is not private property.

Interesting that I have been hearing more of this lately from fellow members. Seems the RCMP are either on some misdirected campaign or THEY need to be educated.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can ride on any body of water, i had this problem by redwater on the redwater river where a farmer put a cable across the river which almost took us out, luckly we were riding during the day, needless to say we cut it so no one else would hit it and the RCMP told us that is was illegal to do that on the river it is for everyone to enjoy

KH2110

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that this probably doesn't help because I'm down in the states, but here a landowner owns the property including the river bottom on non-navigable streams and rivers.....not many rivers fall under this catagory.........so he could post the property including the river itself.....

now, in the case of fishing, you can still get around it if you float a tube through without standing up or getting out of the water........many smaller streams this just isn't possible so you have to ask permission..

on the larger streams and rivers that are navigable, the landowner still owns the property but cannot limit access up to the high water mark

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be careful....
It also depends when the property was purchased...
a long time ago, when property was purchased mineral rights and
such came along with the property.(which does include water bodies)
if the land has been purchased within the last 40+years then the mineral
rights and water rights have been lost to the Gov.
I would not want to get in an argument and loose my quad ??
there must be a lot of other places to ride...

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wouldn't it make sense to ask permission before entering private property anyways???

I sled all winter and quad all summer and nothing Pisses me off more that someone (and there are a few) on their sleds that ride through my hay field in the early part of the year and chew it all up. and in the early spring pack it down solid and kill the timmothy portion of the hay(the part that is like candy to the livestock)and all that is left is the grass..
I hate tresspassers !!
I wonder how they would feel if I were to take my mountain sled with the 162" deep lug and chew up their front lawn every weekend ??
anyone riding just east of Spruce Grove better be careful. I am watching for you....

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wouldn't it make sense to ask permission before entering private property anyways???

thats exactly my point ..I got lots of land of and lots of water on it ..if somebody wants to tread on it I would hope that they at least have the respect to come and ask first ...fawk the laws its my dirt ....I fence it ..maintain it and keep it what it is ...you wanna come wheelin up it and fawk it up, I would hope that you would ask first ..............................just might join ya

apparently I have to pay taxes on the whole shootin match ..soo ya I got some say Over

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as with many of the posts here it is kinda sketchy if someone owns the creek bed or not
either way it is just respectfull to ask permission this crap is what gives quadders and sledders bad names
if ya see a fence stay out

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as with many of the posts here it is kinda sketchy if someone owns the creek bed or not
either way it is just respectfull to ask permission this crap is what gives quadders and sledders bad names
I don't think a fence should be required...
If you don't own the land,you should respect out peoples property and stay off.. Or you are only asking for trouble.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Building 5 miles of fence at my cost to keep someone out who should not be there anyways ?? Limiting me from moving equipment and weed control up along the fence?? then the county comes to me and states that I need to spend more money to get rid of the weeds and if I don't they will bill me??
If I put up a fence it needs to be maintained and if I don't it will eventually fall down anyways. What happens if someone races across the field and runs into the barbwire fence and injures himself ? then I get sued !!
I think it starts at home teaching people to respect other peoples stuff and property. The problem usually arrises with people who have nothing anyways.. Or someone who buys a quad or a sled without someway of transporting it and thinks he can drive it across everyone elses land because they won't let him ride it up and down the streets of his trailer park.

Okay Rant over....:rant:

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe every manicupality is or has different governing bylaws for this type of question? i know in the county of Leduc no river / stream yadda yadda is owned by the land owner. there is a 50 foot easment on either side that is accessable by county or others.

this information has come from Leducs Cameron Drainage spokesman. now wether or not he may be misinformed im not at liberty to prove or disprove. though this is what iv been told first hand by him

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was referring more to a body of water with having to go thru a fence for access but i do agree with ya
I appologize if it sounded like I was directing my rant at you.
I was just following up and (adding) to your previous post.
I agreed with what you said 100% and just throught that I would expand a bit
for others who just don't get it ??
People need to research when and where they can ride before they go out and purchase a sled or quad.
Plus a safe way to transport it.
Not on the roof of their honda accord..

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe every manicupality is or has different governing bylaws for this type of question? i know in the county of Leduc no river / stream yadda yadda is owned by the land owner. there is a 50 foot easment on either side that is accessable by county or others.

this information has come from Leducs Cameron Drainage spokesman. now wether or not he may be misinformed im not at liberty to prove or disprove. though this is what iv been told first hand by him

As I said you need to be careful, because back in the day water and mineral rights "DID" come with the purchase of the land..
If the land has been sold and purchased within the last 40+ years then the water rights have been relinquished to the Gov.

Top Bottom