Diesel vs Gas

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run both Diesel and gas and cant wait till I can jump into my gasser on the weekends, 2011 dodge diesel lucky if I get 16L/100Km on a good day . 2004 ford 5.4 empty 21 mpg, pulling 25 ft fifth wheel and two place quad trailer behind it I'm usually 12-14 mpg all day long. I run a programmer in my gasser and makes a world of difference so much that I don't require a diesel, you can sure burn a lot of gas for the price of a new diesel .

Ok...stupid question...would adding a programmer on a new gasser void warranty? Seems like if you sneeze in the wrong spot they void warranty.

mudbug

Reaction score
I know on the diesel it would void warranty not sure fore gas, your other option is the new 6.2 ford decent mileage and great torque. Even if you picked up a used gas job off warranty your still further a head then all the headaches with a diesel like everyone says maintenance cost big time oil changes 200+ ETC.

4mcntrls

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a diesel, I have for years. Pull a 3 or 4 place a sled or 2 on the deck. Lots of great miles and I love my truck and don't know if I could go back to a gas. Yes it costs more up front but I always got more back when I sold it. However that being said if ford dropped a new v8 version of the Eco-Boost I would have to give that a hard look. Good luck with your decision but like someone else suggested try a few out before you buy.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch a diesel if I were you Rowdy. I have a halfer gasser and a newish Ford diesel. If I didn't need the dually to yard my junk around, I'd kick it to the curb. My half ton is a fun little truck to rip around in with the 390 hp Hemi. A 2500 with the Hemi would do anything and everything you'd need it to. Not sure about the mileage with a 3/4 ton, but if I keep my foot out of the fan, I average close to 11 l/100km (completely stock with a low octane tune).

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok...stupid question...would adding a programmer on a new gasser void warranty? Seems like if you sneeze in the wrong spot they void warranty.

I never had any issues. Of course that being said a programmer, cold air, and exhaust will only add 30hp at best on a gasser.
Diesel no matter what a guy tries to say is double for maintenance. Yes they can go blah blah km nowadays between services but so do gas engines. The truth is they use twice as much oil do double the cost. If new no matter what brand now you need urea another 4-5 bucks a tank or so. Fuel cost is higher as well unless running premium.
I tried to justify a diesel for hauling our 33' Holiday trailer and sleds in the winter but the half ton can do it all but sleds on a deck just can't justify the added cost for what I need when the half ton does the job fine
Personally I would go gasser but try both and see what you like better

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel all the way!!!! Bit more for maintenance but fuel economy makes up for it. I can put rhino in back of truck and 35' camper behind it and pass every gas truck on highway. Chip, intake and 5" exhaust might help... Hahaha. On way to fernie last week had 2 sleds on deck cruise set at 125 and getting 12l per 100 km. don't know any gas truck you can do that with....

true that... my f150screw wont do that empty

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Not gonna repeat what i said on FB ..but if you want (after the snow is gone) you can pull my trailer with my 6.0L and then hook Megans D max up and youll see the difference...ya the diesel is ten times better for pulling,,but a gas motor will be your best option i think.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not gonna repeat what i said on FB ..but if you want (after the snow is gone) you can pull my trailer with my 6.0L and then hook Megans D max up and youll see the difference...ya the diesel is ten times better for pulling,,but a gas motor will be your best option i think.

Thanks med! I will take you up on that for sure. We need to have teas soon anyways

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 07 chev dmax with classic with efi live intake and exhaust and pulling a 2place newman trailer to valemont and back from whitecourt 150l of diesel. Had a 04 1500 chev 5.3 gas same trailer same speed 160l fuel. Using both around town same mileage. From what i can see what your needs are i would go with a gas. Only use our diesel for pulling our 4 horse living quarter horse trailer and thats all its good for plus its a crew cab long box if it helps.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Dont waste your money..My truck has a intake ,exhaust,and a programmer...all the exhaust does is make noise,and the programmer,,well i might as well burnt the 400 i paid for it.made a little difference running on premium.but not anything noticible..It was a bullydogBTW..and its not even in the truck anymore..

Anyone wanna buy a bully dog gas downloader??

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for the driving you will be doing, gas motor all the way, you will have no problem hauling 2 sleds on a deck out to golden, revi. and you dont want to be involved with injectors on a diesel

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont waste your money..My truck has a intake ,exhaust,and a programmer...all the exhaust does is make noise,and the programmer,,well i might as well burnt the 400 i paid for it.made a little difference running on premium.but not anything noticible..It was a bullydogBTW..and its not even in the truck anymore..

Anyone wanna buy a bully dog gas downloader??

you put that on the yamaha for summer med?

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rowdy I went through the same thing back in 09 needed a 3/4 ton or one ton to pull the trailer with a sled deck for bikes and quad I went back and forth between a new 09 ford f350 v10 and a 6.4 l diesel and cummins being that for work I needed to have a vehicle that is always 6 years or less
by the time I factored the added cost of the diesel option and the extra maint costs and resale value + the difference in what was being reported in real world mpg by users of both trucks i would have had to owned the diesel either ford or dodge for 8 + years before it would have been saving me money ( honestly after 4 years i would say that i think that number of years would be closer to 6.5 in my experiance )over the cost of the f350 v10 (the ford trucks were identical as I was factory ordering) the dodge was a little plainer as they did not have all the same options where available at the time

They only way I would by a diesel now is an older dodge just for my camping and sledding needs and run a new half ton for my work needs especially if you buy all your own fuel

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love my 2011 duramax.I have 3 trailers that I am always puling.maintainance so far not much more than my 5.3 gasser.I do my own oil changes at 10k using rotella 15/40 and Napa gold filter cost is about $40 when u buy it by the pail.DEF costs add a little. Fuel cost is about the same when u factor in a little better mileage with the diesel. Diesel pickup shines on hwy and pulling in town its a big heavy pig.resale on the diesel is way better than gas 3/4 ton u can,t give those gas pigs away.if I was doing more in town than hwy I would go gas half ton

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say diesel all the way. Honestly people spending 220 for an oil change is ridiculous. Cost me $60 and an hour of my time to do it myself. Not worth the hastle of dealing with booking it in or these shiester minut lube places. Love the diesel for towing and couldn't imagine going back to a gasser. Would be nice to see diesel go cheaper then gas again though. I've got a 2008 lmm duramax

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say diesel all the way. Honestly people spending 220 for an oil change is ridiculous. Cost me $60 and an hour of my time to do it myself. Not worth the hastle of dealing with booking it in or these shiester minut lube places. Love the diesel for towing and couldn't imagine going back to a gasser. Would be nice to see diesel go cheaper then gas again though. I've got a 2008 lmm duramax
If you can change oil in a gas engine then you can do a diesel also.

Top Bottom