3/4 Ton Gas Jobby

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I’m considering switching directions and buying an older (8-10 years) gas, 3/4 ton truck. I’d love a newer diesel but that’s becoming a rich man’s game and I, unfortunately, am not a rich man. What’s everyone’s experience with the old 6.0 litres in the Chevs? I’ve heard they’re gas guzzlers but how bad are they actually? Are they a pretty reliable engine otherwise? What about the 5.7’s in the Dodges? I know many had that bad tick but isn’t there a fix for that? Are they underpowered in the 3/4 ton chassis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought all the HD gas Dodges were 6.4s? I’ve had several 5.7 trucks and I wouldn’t want them in a 3/4 truck. They are good motors, just they are built for high revs and not low end grunt and this would be especially noticeable in older trucks before the 8 speeds came out.

brokenbones4

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Chevy 2500hd. Just rolled over 200000 and it has been extremely reliable. I had to replace two broken manifold bolts early on which was minor. I have always changed my engine and transmission oil before needed. I bought my truck with a 6" lift and 35" tires, my average mileage is 20 liters per hundred. With two sleds and gear it is basically off the chart. I recently changed to 4.56 gearing and that made a noticeable improvement on the bottom end with almost no change in mileage.

Attachments

• IMAG1724-20190716-210719881.jpg
    IMAG1724-20190716-210719881.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 102

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 245,000km and a 2019 both 2500hd 6.0, underpowered, 18-20L / 100 empty. But they work just fine. if that’s what the budget allows either would suit I suspect, just not the power of a diesel gets a bit old.

2013 did pop 2 exhaust manifold bolts which is a common item kits off net to fix seemed to work ok

Last edited:

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The newer GM 6.6 liter gas job is a nice motor, 6 or 6.2 liter, bigger or dual exhaust and air intake help the mileage out. They are both reiable motors.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 (newer body style). 6.0L 6spd auto. Crew cab 8ft box. 3500. Single rear wheel.
Empty I get about 630kms to a tank. (Usually putting in 110 to 120L each tank).
One sled on the deck. Drops to around 580kms.
2 on the deck around 500kms.
Towing a trailer. 400kms. (26ft holiday trailer, not sure the weight).
2 quads a dirt bike on the deck with the trailer in tow. Think I got 390kms or 380. Was just under 400. To that tank.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
V
The newer GM 6.6 liter gas job is a nice motor, 6 or 6.2 liter, bigger or dual exhaust and air intake help the mileage out. They are both reiable motors.
Very thirsty motors as well. We went to vale for a weekend and the fuel bill was $568 dollars. And the thing couldn't hold speed in cruise going up hills was from 116 to 108 climbing. Wasn't impressed with the power it was a 6.6. I'll keep my diesel and all we had was 2 sleds on a deck.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kind of hard to beat this price point. Can drive a ton of miles on one of these for the $20k you'd save not getting a diesel. No a gas doesn't tow like a diesel, you have to let the transmission downshift and let the engine spin to make the power, but you'll still get to your destination. The bonus being you can get a rebuilt gas motor for the price of injectors and injection pump on a diesel.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kind of hard to beat this price point. Can drive a ton of miles on one of these for the $20k you'd save not getting a diesel. No a gas doesn't tow like a diesel, you have to let the transmission downshift and let the engine spin to make the power, but you'll still get to your destination. The bonus being you can get a rebuilt gas motor for the price of injectors and injection pump on a diesel.

All valid points, I get them, I had a 22 7.3 ford and couldn't do it hated every minute, I have never spent so much on fuel in my life. I do tow a fair bit and that was a struggle for sure. I am back in the same truck but a diesel again and happy happy. I would guess that any money I saved on maintenance I would have easily burnt in fuel. Gas was 600km to a tank empty, diesel is 950km.

The price of used diesels is for sure insane right now and I if I didn't need one I would be getting out. The next year is going to be a big reset on vehicle prices. I think the way to go right now is minimal investment for what meets your needs and ride the wave for a year.

Reactions: RJP

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The price of used diesels is for sure insane right now and I if I didn't need one I would be getting out. The next year is going to be a big reset on vehicle prices. I think the way to go right now is minimal investment for what meets your needs and ride the wave for a year.
That's what they said last year. And the year before. And here we are, no sign of downward trends on vehicle prices.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a 2010 GM 2500 6.0 with 3:73 gears and loved it. I have a 08 Chev 6.6 diesel and they would get the same mileage, but the Chev would out torque the GM
The company I work for has all 6.2 Fords and they work good. Same as the GM 6.0
You can get a Ram 3500 with a 5.7....... heck you can find any old 3 ton grain truck with a 5.7 lol.

Looking at newer gas pots...... 6.4, 6.6, 6.2, 7.3, their all going to be the same. It's about what badge is in the grill that you're comfortable with.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
supply and demand have changed, default rates are rising, lenders are getting much more picky about loan to value and credit, buddy works as a GM salesman and said in the past month its much harder to get a person approved than previously. Canada is a unique beast though because the good used inventory is drastically overpriced due to all the good units getting exported.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All valid points, I get them, I had a 22 7.3 ford and couldn't do it hated every minute, I have never spent so much on fuel in my life. I do tow a fair bit and that was a struggle for sure. I am back in the same truck but a diesel again and happy happy. I would guess that any money I saved on maintenance I would have easily burnt in fuel. Gas was 600km to a tank empty, diesel is 950km.

Sure I like my diesel too, but the OP's looking at gas due to price point. Not going to lie I was cursing my diesel last summer dragging the fifth wheel all over northern Alberta, Northern BC, and NWT. Paying a 75cent premium for diesel was ridiculous, a gas pot would have cost about the same for fuel on that trip even with the higher fuel usage.

The economics on a used diesel don't pencil out, a $20k gas job vs a $40k diesel is a no-brainer. For example, if a diesel gets 14L/100km and a gas 22L/100km, at $1.50/Liter (assuming gas and diesel are the same price) you'd have to drive 166,000km to make up the $20k price difference, assuming maintenance costs are the same. And every time diesel is more expensive than gas, which it is a lot lately, that payback period lengthens.

New trucks it makes sense for diesel at a $10k price premium in terms of both resale value and fuel savings if driven much over 100,000km.

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure I like my diesel too, but the OP's looking at gas due to price point. Not going to lie I was cursing my diesel last summer dragging the fifth wheel all over northern Alberta, Northern BC, and NWT. Paying a 75cent premium for diesel was ridiculous, a gas pot would have cost about the same for fuel on that trip even with the higher fuel usage.

The economics on a used diesel don't pencil out, a $20k gas job vs a $40k diesel is a no-brainer. For example, if a diesel gets 14L/100km and a gas 22L/100km, at $1.50/Liter (assuming gas and diesel are the same price) you'd have to drive 166,000km to make up the $20k price difference, assuming maintenance costs are the same. And every time diesel is more expensive than gas, which it is a lot lately, that payback period lengthens.

New trucks it makes sense for diesel at a $10k price premium in terms of both resale value and fuel savings if driven much over 100,000km.
Doesn’t make sense the last couple years with diesel costing 50% more than gas. I sold my diesel when the price was close in late 2021 and have been laughing at the price difference every time I fill up,
Smiling that I’m not paying diesel prices. There is no replacement for the way a diesel tows but truth is a lot of people driving them would be better off in gas job or even a half ton for that matter. I agree with the OP on diesels becoming a rich man’s game.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Oil changes and fuel filters have gone up 40% on my diesel. I do fuel filters every second oil change and those alone are 165$ from ford and 140 from supply stores. I’ve had to by ford the last 2 times as I couldn’t get any from the supply stores in town. Oil filter is now around 40$ and with an air filter I’m around 230$ just in filters. Then 13liters of 0-40 oil and I’m around 400$ for an oil change doing it myself. A gas engine I feel would be under a hundy. With fuel at about 40-50c more per litre having a diesel just doesn’t make sense. I use this truck for work and have a large drop in tool box so I’m hauling a bunch of weight all the time but a 1 ton gasser would do it no problem. I have 365000 on the truck and am hoping to get another 365 out of it. I just can’t justify a 100000$ to buy a new one. I can barely make any money on this one anymore so definitely don’t want any payments on a new one.

Top Bottom