Diesel VS Gas

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
hey guys i'm looking at getting a full size truck but cant decide if i want to go with the diesel or gas? i know i'll probably need a 2500 to accomadate the truck camper i want to haul. but i've heard lots of different sides to this one and i need more info before i decide.

Hey Ohmz You are asking a question in which you will get alot of responses to. But you are not giving enough info to what is directed in your question to achieve proper repercussion.

McMOOSE

Reaction score
I myself have a 3/4 ton gas job. I tow 2 quads sometimes 3 and also have a 28 foot tow behind trailer. The gas job can tow these ok but the truck is getting a good work out for sure. Gas milege goes way down when hauling also. I am going to buy a Diesel in the spring after the wife's vechile is paid off. My experiance with towing with gas jobs has made me realize that DIESEL IS THE WAY TO GO HANDS DOWN.

GRD

Reaction score
I am with you on that....

I myself have a 3/4 ton gas job. I tow 2 quads sometimes 3 and also have a 28 foot tow behind trailer. The gas job can tow these ok but the truck is getting a good work out for sure. Gas milege goes way down when hauling also. I am going to buy a Diesel in the spring after the wife's vechile is paid off. My experiance with towing with gas jobs has made me realize that DIESEL IS THE WAY TO GO HANDS DOWN.

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i read a report in a magazine (don't remember which one tho), that was gas vs. diesel. they took the price of vehicle, fuel, fuel mileage, maintainence, and value of trade in. they said it takes 2.3 years for a diesel to pay for itself at 25,000 km a year over a gas. the magazines was a diesel truck magazine.
my vote is diesel .

So how long does it take to pay for itself when you put on 80,000 km / yr?!

tekim:D

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i read a report in a magazine (don't remember which one tho), that was gas vs. diesel. they took the price of vehicle, fuel, fuel mileage, maintainence, and value of trade in. they said it takes 2.3 years for a diesel to pay for itself at 25,000 km a year over a gas. the magazines was a diesel truck magazine.
my vote is diesel .

Are you sure it wasn't miles?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
If I read the same article they also stated that pulling power you gained per dollar spent was also well worth the extra investment.
The key to a diesel was "how many miles you put on or how much heavy pulling you did". For both options the diesel wins, otherwise a gas truck will do you just fine.
my vote is diesel .

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Also To Consider Is The Gas Mileage Of Each Vehicle.... My 2002 Gas V-10 Dodge 3500 Dually Was Getting 11.45mpg On Average And Slightly Less With Load(i Drive Hard)......... My New '06 Dodge 3500 Diesel Gets Almost About 20mpg(SLIGHTLY LESS LOADED)......... It Would Pay For Itself Quite Quickly, If I Put On The Mileage That Tekim Puts On(i Only Average Less Than 20,000 Kms/year)

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I vote diesel. But when I go to the store and I'm more than 5 min I TURN IT OFF. Sorry pet peve. Diesel all the way

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are many different factors to consider (usage wise). I chose the 8.1L gas engine after carefully weighing all the differences. I haven't had to plug it in yet for the cold weather (I use 5-30 synthetic oil) and it has started as cold as -38c, it gets better fuel mileage than the 6L when loaded and is comparable when empty. the best I've seen on the trip computer is 17mpg (US gallons). be careful when you buy a used diesel, stay away from the factory lifted units. they are very hard on tranny/transfer cases. also, over half the diesels out there are not used for the reason that they are made for, towing and hauling. if they are never ran up to max operating temperature, the cylinders will glaze, causing poor fuel mileage and decreased horsepower. if you happen to get any water in your fuel on a diesel, your warranty will be voided and you will have to foot the bill for injectors, and possibly a fuel pump. I can replace the engine in my pickup for less than the cost of those items. call any dealer of any brand and ask which motors are in their shop right now, gas or diesel and you will be surprised at how many diesels are in for repair. I am not a rich man, and keep each pickup I buy for 10 years. stop and go driving, and short trips where the engine doesn't get to temperature are KILLERS for a diesel engine, and the main reason I chose gas. hope this helps.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I perfer Diesel, for the Truck. I had a gasser once and had issuses when pulling trailers. I pull trailers a fair amount. The 34' - 14200 Holiday trailer or the 27' Enclosed Sled Trailer which I know when loaded is heavy, which usually head out every second weekend. I buy most of my diesel at Flying J in sherwood park where its a hastle but alot cheaper than gas.

Top Bottom