Diesel VS Gas

Ohmz

Reaction score
hey guys i'm looking at getting a full size truck but cant decide if i want to go with the diesel or gas? i know i'll probably need a 2500 to accomadate the truck camper i want to haul. but i've heard lots of different sides to this one and i need more info before i decide.

Misfit

Reaction score
I drive a gas 3/4 ton. As a daily driver it is perfect. I have done some light towing with it and it is great at that too. While it has the power to pull most any heavy load as it is the 345hp/400+ tourqe 8.1 litre, I would imagine that with any gas engine fuel economy greatly suffers with heavy towing. I have calculated the mileage on my truck and it actually gets decent fuel economy for its size. 15-16 miles to the gallon believe it or not that was calculated over a 1000 km. trip (kept all receites) due too the high tourqe. My truck it never has to work hard and rev high and i drive like an old lady ha. What year of a truck are you looking for and what are you looking to spend. Im actually selling my truck due to the fact that its more then i really need (onstar, leather, power everything, yada yada yada.) and im looking for somthing with rubber floors, a manual transmission and basic options. I do have somebody in line to buy my truck but if he changes his mind and your interested il let you know.

albertagal500

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel, I have had one for 10 yrs and as someone that hauls 5000-7000lbs at least twice a month. You want a diesel, they are work horses and can out live a gas if you look after it.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Desiel for towing/hauling. No gasser even comes close

Ohmz

Reaction score
okay but why diesel over gas...i heard that diesels cost more to maintain and need more regular service. and i dont haul heavy loads every day week or even month... just when camping and hauling 1 or 2 sleds, so would a diesel be pratical for a everyday back and fourth to work truck?

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyday short trips and no load is not what a diesel is meant for. They like to work. If you need to drive it daily(short trips) and only haul maybe once a month I would go with a gasser. A diesel cost more to buy, cost more for a regular service but don't need to be serviced as often, a break down will more than likely cost more, but a well maintained diesel engine will last forever. If I were in your situation I think I would go with the gasser as the extra cost of a diesel would buy a lot of gas!

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree Diesel only way to go I have both gas and Diesel The only reason i have a gas truck in my posession is because the company bought it and puts fuel in it. Like shredder said Diesel=HP and HP seperates the boyz from the Men. + fuel milage on a Cummins Diesel rocks 1100km to 130L= 24-26ml/gl

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been there myself and decided on a gas engine. I figured in all the costs of a diesel, up front costs, maintenance, all that good "cost of ownership" stuff. Turned out that for the added costs of the diesel, I would have enough cash in pocket to buy 7 years worth of gasbased on my current consumption rate. All I tow is the two sleds on a trailer and the odd time my fathers lightweight 22 foot trailer. This is all with a 4.7L, 245 HP Dodge. That said, I have bought a new truck with 305HP and a lot more torque. What I found with the 4.7L was that it is just a little too small for pulling two fully loaded sleds and a trailer throught the mountains. So although the new truck will have a bigger motor my overall gas mileage at the end of the year will be better and my gas costs cheaper since it won't be working as hard in the winter. I also run Mobil 1 synthetic oil which is more costly up front, but again cheaper over the long haul since oil changes are so far apart. Gas mileage was up a little too. So that's my experience.

One thing to consider as well, and we saw this before, is that as the fuel glut continues, diesel is not going to get any cheaper and may again exceed gas. Maybe Biodiesel will become cheaper.

Some things to think about anyway. Let us know what you decide and why.

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
diesel i feel resale outways first purchase cost, so long as your "short trip" is over 15 minutes its moreless fine. if not so what i havent pulled anything over 1000lbs but i drive with my foot on the floor and have been getting better mpg's as i make mods between 20-22 this summer. going on 295 000 trouble free km's. ps dont buy ford haha

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote is for diesel, I daily drive my cummins but it's awlays there for packing a load with not much difference in fuel mileage. They also retain their value for resale better.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
My 2002 Chev Duramax is a daily driver as well. I now have just under 200,000 KM on it and love the truck. It's hauled a 27 foot trailer across Canada and sleds to the mountains but mosly drives to work and back (10km) daily. Oil changes are more costly but the rest of the maintance has been at the same cost as a gas truck.
I plan to high mile this truck so for me it was worth the extra up front cost.
My 2 cents worth.
My vote is for diesel, I daily drive my cummins but it's awlays there for packing a load with not much difference in fuel mileage. They also retain their value for resale better.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat, the most i pull is 2 quads or 2 sleds so i went with a half ton gas and i like it. Having more power pulling through the mountains would be nice but the Chevy does get me there and back averaging around 15-17 mpg depending on how heavy my foot gets.

Ohmz

Reaction score
sweet....thx for the input guyz....i still dont know what i'm going to do but i'm sure no matter which i chose i'm going to be happy

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I travel back and forth to fort mac and have a 2500 Chev Gasser, was less money to buy, cheaper to fix( look at the price of fuel pumps for a diesel vs gas), fuel prices are almost the same and mine is a little harder of fuel but not by much. I tow around 2 sleds and stuff like that with no problem. My friend has the same truck but in diesel, its faster and tows better only because he has a programmable chip, he also blew the tranny in his and it cost him a pile of money because it was an allison tranny. its all personal preference, kinda like a Cat to a Doo.

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i read a report in a magazine (don't remember which one tho), that was gas vs. diesel. they took the price of vehicle, fuel, fuel mileage, maintainence, and value of trade in. they said it takes 2.3 years for a diesel to pay for itself at 25,000 km a year over a gas. the magazines was a diesel truck magazine.
my vote is diesel .

Top Bottom