December riding

RNGDE

Reaction score
Before I start I realize no one has a crystal ball. I'm just looking for input because we have never been before.

Myself and my wife are thinking about a trip out to Revy during the first week of December. Our window of opportunity is pretty small because of work commitments. We will have to fly from Newfoundland and will rent what we need.Our intention is to stay at Glacier House as of now but have not heard back from them yet. If it was just me and the boys it would not be a big deal where I put my head down but my wife likes things a little more comfortable:).
We are open to suggestions though.

Do you think we will need to trailer the sleds to the snow. again not looking for someone with a crystal ball just want to be as informed as possible

I have gone through last year’s posts and saw the pictures of riding conditions in late November early December 2010 and it would be well worth the trip if those conditions were repeated. We may have snow enough to ride at that time but it will be just on the woods roads you would not dare venture too far off. Would love a early start to the season and if I don't book this I will end having to go somewhere and lay on a beach which I really don't want to do.

Any info or advice you can offer would be great

Cheers

Last edited:

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
you should be safe to ride straight from the glacier house in DEC.

i would recommand that you ride in March/April where the days are longer and hopefully more sunlight. December and deliever some bottomless pow that the whole family may not enjoy

RNGDE

Reaction score
i would recommand that you ride in March/April where the days are longer and hopefully more sunlight. December and deliever some bottomless pow that the whole family may not enjoy

I would love to get out in March. Myself and a few buddys went to Valmount last march and it was awsome but work will not permit it this year and I really want my wife to experence the riding out there. It left a lasting impression on me.

Reaction score
You should be safe as far as snow but you can leave your options open and go to where there is good snow at that time. First week of Dec is not the busiest of times so you should be able to get rooms anywhere.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We normally make a trip early in Dec to get the itch out of the way, and to remind ourselves why we wait. Conditions will always be decent powder wise but it is always a arm trashing season. Mid Jan to end of April is best times especially if your doing a fly in trip.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First week of december can bring one extreme or another. The deep pics were on Dec 6th 2006 and the last 2 are Nov 28th 2008

Attachments

• IMAG0154.JPG
    IMAG0154.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 852
  • IMAG0172.JPG
    IMAG0172.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 852
  • IMAG0184 2.JPG
    IMAG0184 2.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 844
  • Nov 28 004.jpg
    Nov 28 004.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 850
  • Nov 28 002.jpg
    Nov 28 002.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 843

ldog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And I would stay at the peaks if u want to ride from the lodge. Glacier sucks.................just saying.

Manatee

Reaction score
Stay at Smokey Bear Cabins. If you can ride from peaks or Glacier, you'll be able to ride the back way from Smoky Bear past the sled shed.
$50 per person gets you a cabin, a REALLY good breakfast and a packed trail lunch. Also, a guy that will tell "some" of the good spots. Clayton really knows his way around up there.

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice Pics hehehe
Dam that looks like a lot of work. Im getting old. But it gave me the itch. Hoping for a early ride.

RNGDE

Reaction score
And I would stay at the peaks if u want to ride from the lodge. Glacier sucks.................just saying.

I would be interested to hear why “Glacier sucks” In your opinion of course! We have never beenand picked it because it seem to be a one stop shop. The costs seem to be fairto me in comparison to what we paid in Valemount last year. The pictures looknice and they will arrange sleds and gear for us. I have no decisions made so I would prefer tobe informed

Prairie Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would never go back to Glacier House either. Really its cause of the owner, every time we were there he treated us like he didnt have the time. Even to just say "morning" walking into the restaurant, it seemed like he thought he was too good for us. They screwed up our booking the last two times we stayed there despite me phoning each time after booking to confirm the our lodging and the number of people going. His wife and the rest of the staff were great but his attitude and the screw ups booking in is what lost our business and we make 4-6 trips to Revy every year.

My vote would be for Peaks lodge as well. Great food, clean place and all the staff were great. I've been staying at the Peaks for 4yrs now and can't see myself going anywhere else unless something drastic happens.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another vote for peaks lodge here. Awesome place to stay.

Sent from my Desire HD

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would never go back to Glacier House either. Really its cause of the owner, every time we were there he treated us like he didnt have the time. Even to just say "morning" walking into the restaurant, it seemed like he thought he was too good for us. They screwed up our booking the last two times we stayed there despite me phoning each time after booking to confirm the our lodging and the number of people going. His wife and the rest of the staff were great but his attitude and the screw ups booking in is what lost our business and we make 4-6 trips to Revy every year.

My vote would be for Peaks lodge as well. Great food, clean place and all the staff were great. I've been staying at the Peaks for 4yrs now and can't see myself going anywhere else unless something drastic happens.

I vote for the Peaks as well. We stayed at the Glacier House a few times and had problems as well. IMO they look after them selfs first and take your money and thats it. Yes, they have one of the best locations in Revy and the setup is good but the people who own the Glacier House are difficult to deal with.

Been staying at the Peaks Lodge for 4 years now, cant say enough good things about them. Great experience sums it up.

PS.. you can also rent sleds from Full Speed Rentals at the Peaks.

just my opinion.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glacier house is a very nice set up, rooms are nice, pool and hot tub are nice and its location is just perfect but like everyone says the owner is a real dick and the food in the restaraunt is horrible, we stayed there last year and ive never had a $20 breakfast that was that bad......, I think we are staying at peaks this year.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i stayed at Glacier House once and only heard stories about how bad the service was, but what i did notice was how horrible the breakfest was, the eggs were the worst, and they always were short on food in the serving trays. Not worth the money IMO. Stayed at peaks the second time, way better experience, the staff was awesome.

In fact when we stayed at glacier the first time we went to peaks for some drinks one night and planned that same night to stay there next time. My next trip will be at peaks.

ldog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess I don't have to explain any further.................... $ 20 dollar chicken burger, owner that spills gas all over your new sled and doesn't even say I'm sorry. In fact I bet there's a hole in the guy's bathroom that isn't fixed still ( was like that 2 years in a row) .............I could go on but I would probably flagged for my post. I know of worse trips from other folks.

BCPOW

Reaction score
IMO, Revy in early December is hit or miss depending on when the first big dumps happen. Generally early December is for riders that need to cure the itch of less crowded bottomless POW. But with that comes landmines and deadheads that can smash up a machine real good and also hurt you. Seen and heard of that happening every year. If your looking to leave a lasting impression on your family of how amazing sleddin is, I recommend to go when the days are longer, the landmines and deadheads are fully covered under 6ft of base, the creeks are icebridged over, and daytime temps are favorable for an outside lunch with unlimited views in all directions, etc. Personally I like March as its moderate temps, snows frequently, and I get more daylight hours to ride (more bang for my buck so to speak). If your looking for deep POW with the high risk of carnage to your machine and only a few hours of daylight to do it in, go in late Nov to mid Dec. I also remember at Boulder last year, the switchbacks to the alpine were sketchy for novices till the end of the Christmas break once the snowcat was able to build a decent trail past one steep section. Stay at Peaks Lodge and rent sleds from there too. Buy trail passes to support the clubs efforts in providing excellent services, and have fun and enjoy the outdoors!

Top Bottom