Crowsnest or Golden?

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds good!!! I got to busy this summer only got three quad rides in but next year i'm going searching for a new way into that area even if I gotta bring a trusty beaver in there to move some brush just for one nice pull

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is that way in and there is also a way in from beavermines lake I think it is grizzly creek that will take you back to waterton as well!! I must say the area by beavermines lake is awesome and rarely sees any traffic definately a must do if you are in that area. From beavermines lake you can see the bald mountain i was talking about towards the bc side of things it makes me wanna start maiking my own trail into there just to clib a couple of the mini chutes:d

I have gone on a short quad ride at the end of the lake and in the direction of castle at the back of the campground???,, I have seen like 2 trucks turn on that road before for sledding.... I could see how there is some great terrain...

come on snow.....

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YA NOT MANY GO BACK THERE THEY JUST KEEP PUSHING ON TO CASTLE OR LOST LAKE AREA i REALLY ENJOY THE RIDING BY BEAVERMINES LAKE IT IS A GOOD SPOT TO GO IF IT IS HIGH AVY AREA AS THERE IS MORE MEADOWS AND SMALLER CUTBLOCKS TO PLAY IN BACK THERE

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here are some pics of the castle area the one with the ski hill chairlifts was a bit of an ooopzy didnt know we werent allowed on the ski hill after it closed :d

Attachments

• castle hiking.jpg
    castle hiking.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 153
  • more castle.jpg
    more castle.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 155
  • ski hill oops.jpg
    ski hill oops.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 163
  • sore crotch 3.jpg
    sore crotch 3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 155
  • sorecrotch 2.jpg
    sorecrotch 2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 160

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great pix thanks,,, I like the almost zero vis shot so classic at castle...

lol the ski hill,, that was in spring??? did someone give you chit? best pow days ski castle and ski fernie,,, openeing day in fernie is usually epic fun ohh good times....

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya that is typical castle shot yeah the spring one was sweet no one gave us chit but we heard the guy was mighty mad hahah i tried to upload some others but it wont let me i'll keep trying

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score
yea middle koots pass hooks up with flat head rd if i remember correctly?? This one is if your at west castle and you hit the bridge/river crossing in the first big clearing, everyone goes right. If you go left, it is a maze back in there but basically stay on the main trail, lol or what you think is the main trail. There are 3 or 4 creek crossings? on the last one go left, it will look like a right hand turn, but there is a hiddien trail in behind, sorta overgrown for the first 100 ft.

Hey Sledqueen, the trail your asking about does not continue to Waterton. It dead ends in another bowl. It's very tuff to get into, and not used much anymore. 20 years ago was a lot easier. Very very few people know about that trail. As for all these other areas that Jaradszakacs is talking about, we hit most of them every year (we're just good at hiding our tracks). There is a way around the waterfall going up to rainy ridge from the B.C side. You can go up to the left of it, and then sidehill across. It works quite well going up, but can be hard to stop on the way down. Anyways, I know the area very well, just don't know all the names. I've never used a map, just sled there a lot.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah I didnt think that trail went all the way to waterton do you guys come into rainy lakes from the actual rainy ridge trail or do you go by middle pass and go in from there!! I cant wait to get back into that area again this year and find some more new areas!!!!

Hey Sledqueen, the trail your asking about does not continue to Waterton. It dead ends in another bowl. It's very tuff to get into, and not used much anymore. 20 years ago was a lot easier. Very very few people know about that trail. As for all these other areas that Jaradszakacs is talking about, we hit most of them every year (we're just good at hiding our tracks). There is a way around the waterfall going up to rainy ridge from the B.C side. You can go up to the left of it, and then sidehill across. It works quite well going up, but can be hard to stop on the way down. Anyways, I know the area very well, just don't know all the names. I've never used a map, just sled there a lot.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

actually there is a trail back there that leads to the backside and base of avion ridge wich would be the back bowl I do believe you are reffering to it looks like on google earth that it would be one hell of a pull to get up to the ridge top then it would be waterton but definately looks severly overgrown according to google earth. i have been trying to find a new way into an amazing hillclimb i reffered to earlier on here that is visible to the west of beavermines lake when you are on the road to castle. we should get a big crew together a few times this year and show each other some of these great spots around castle

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is a pic from google earth it is from the castle falls staging area on the way to castle it will give you a general view of this climb and spot I wanna get into again this year

Attachments

• secret climb.jpg
    secret climb.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 177

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RIGHT ON,,,, I ride mostly sundays or a friday,,, saturday not so much damn work.....

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no worries I should be riding either friday-sundays or saturdays to monday not sure yet on the new schedule

You come all the way from Cranbrook to ride crowsnest?

Good on you for sharing your secret spots. I understand both sides of the agruement of hidden/public spots. A part of me thinks there is nothing worse then getting your play area poached on a beautiful, untouched day, but then again it's not "anybody's" area.

I was going to go dualsport down there and do the loop to find more sledding areas southwest of Castle. Actually, a two part trip. A) find more locations, and B) find more slopes to ride the board on. Didn't happen, and I think we'd face snow on the ground if we attempted it now.

Either way, next summer I'll be down there tracking trail and seeing what I can find for sure.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup i do come from cranbrook to ride there!! I have a ranch located about 5 minutes from beavermines and lots of buddies still back there so i ride that area a lot I love sharing the spots I go to and that i like cause if someone is in one of my spots I just move over to my next one no big deal!!! yeah I used to do lots of quadding back in that area havent been on a quad that way in a couple years now. speaking of my ranch it is for sale it is located between crowsnest and pincher creek on the old backroad from lundbreck 35 acres home built in 2000 barn 3 dugouts two made into trout ponds. I love this area i wake up every morning there with a view from turtle mountain all the way to chief mountain :d

You come all the way from Cranbrook to ride crowsnest?

Good on you for sharing your secret spots. I understand both sides of the agruement of hidden/public spots. A part of me thinks there is nothing worse then getting your play area poached on a beautiful, untouched day, but then again it's not "anybody's" area.

I was going to go dualsport down there and do the loop to find more sledding areas southwest of Castle. Actually, a two part trip. A) find more locations, and B) find more slopes to ride the board on. Didn't happen, and I think we'd face snow on the ground if we attempted it now.

Either way, next summer I'll be down there tracking trail and seeing what I can find for sure.

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score
yeah I didnt think that trail went all the way to waterton do you guys come into rainy lakes from the actual rainy ridge trail or do you go by middle pass and go in from there!! I cant wait to get back into that area again this year and find some more new areas!!!!

From the rainy ridge trail we get into 2 lakes (the second one being one of those secrets spots and only if conditions are just right), and from middle kootenay we get into two other lakes. We've never connected the two. Have you?

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the rainy ridge trail we get into 2 lakes (the second one being one of those secrets spots and only if conditions are just right), and from middle kootenay we get into two other lakes. We've never connected the two. Have you?

YEAH THATS THEY WAY I THOUGHT YOU MAY BE GOING IN THAT IS A SWEET ROUTE IN BUT NO I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO CONNECT THE TWO SETS OF LAKES BUT i WOULD SURE LOVE TO ONE DAY. IT LOOKS PRETTY TREED AND STEEP IN THE AREAS THAT WOULD BE BETTER FOR CONNECTING TO THEM YOU NEVER KNOW MAYBE THIS YEAR WE MAY FIND A WAY :d

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score
actually there is a trail back there that leads to the backside and base of avion ridge wich would be the back bowl I do believe you are reffering to it looks like on google earth that it would be one hell of a pull to get up to the ridge top then it would be waterton but definately looks severly overgrown according to google earth. i have been trying to find a new way into an amazing hillclimb i reffered to earlier on here that is visible to the west of beavermines lake when you are on the road to castle. we should get a big crew together a few times this year and show each other some of these great spots around castle

I know there's a trail and if you look on google it goes over the ridge. So theoretically you can make it. I don't see it happening. We've also come in from the back of that ridge, and it is overgrown quite bad. Maybe if we get tons of snow....
As for the amazing hillclimb you want to try. We think alike. I've been looking at that for a long time. If it's the one I think you're referring to, it will be bush wacking to get there. There is a road that goes in there, but is washed out on a steep hill, and I haven't found a way around it. Only tried a couple times, so let me know if you get in. Good luck.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know there's a trail and if you look on google it goes over the ridge. So theoretically you can make it. I don't see it happening. We've also come in from the back of that ridge, and it is overgrown quite bad. Maybe if we get tons of snow....
As for the amazing hillclimb you want to try. We think alike. I've been looking at that for a long time. If it's the one I think you're referring to, it will be bush wacking to get there. There is a road that goes in there, but is washed out on a steep hill, and I haven't found a way around it. Only tried a couple times, so let me know if you get in. Good luck.

ya i wonder about that trial to waterton i would like to get in there one day lol yeah we do think a like I think it is the same spot from beaver mines lake you can see it to the southwest and it is always gleaming and calling my name!!! I'm gonna go give it a whirl this year and see what we can do it does look like some serious bushwacking but you never know maybe we will get the snow to make it in from the creek that would be nice. i'll keep informed on progress back into that area hell i may even get out that way for a drive on monday

Top Bottom