Crowsnest or Golden?

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok which one is better? I love Silent pass & Quartz. What compares in the pass? I have been asked many times to go down and never gone as its a little furtherfor the drive and it seems every time i have been asked golden gets dumped on compared to the pass. Let me know?
RP

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
alright well here it is coming from a pass local! The pass is usally great riding lots of trails that lead to great play spots and alpine. I think the snow is definately better in golden I really like the pass cause it is a big mix of everything tight trees,open trees,big burn sections,tons of ridge riding and hill climbing to be had,riding in both bc and alberta, rolling hills lots of warmup cabins,trails are well mapped and signed, I really enjoy the areas south of the pass from coleman to castle ski hill. Castle ski hill is phenomenal with tons of undiscovered areas and access to bc over middle kootenay pass wich acess harvey pass and the fernie area for riding. I like the pass better than golden not as crowded my opinion more riding just gotta deal with the wind most of the times :d hope this helps out

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
alright well here it is coming from a pass local! The pass is usally great riding lots of trails that lead to great play spots and alpine. I think the snow is definately better in golden I really like the pass cause it is a big mix of everything tight trees,open trees,big burn sections,tons of ridge riding and hill climbing to be had,riding in both bc and alberta, rolling hills lots of warmup cabins,trails are well mapped and signed, I really enjoy the areas south of the pass from coleman to castle ski hill. Castle ski hill is phenomenal with tons of undiscovered areas and access to bc over middle kootenay pass wich acess harvey pass and the fernie area for riding. I like the pass better than golden not as crowded my opinion more riding just gotta deal with the wind most of the times :d hope this helps out

All he said is good...with the exception we do not get the kind of snow early down here that golden gets in most case. You really need to seperate Crowsnest Pass from the BC side...the half hour to Corbin and Fernie area generally make a big difference in snow fall. The last two years there has been barely enough snow north of the pass for a groomer to run. there is some good riding and very few people WHEN IT SNOWS! Westcastle is just a hop skip from the bottom end of Corbin which has good snow but there are some dangerous areas you need to be aware of if you go there without someone who knows the area. and like mentioned above wind is a factor depending on the day..usually does not bug me much if your moving!

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ran out of space.....Elkford can be good when they get snow..some old riding friends like it but you need to know the area to find the pockets...last year Westcastle had great early season snow well before the ski hill was prepared to open...any time you want to go we would be glad to show you around.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok which one is better? I love Silent pass & Quartz. What compares in the pass? I have been asked many times to go down and never gone as its a little furtherfor the drive and it seems every time i have been asked golden gets dumped on compared to the pass. Let me know?
RP

we will go this winter I am feel n snow to the south but the last 2 years have been weak for sure,,,,

castle ski hill is actually close for us 2.5 hours tops from your shop. maybe 2 from the deep south. and only a 5km trail ride so fun when the weather is right....

see you soon Dobir,,,, I rode fernie once last year thats the only trip I went south....

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like dobir posted on his as well more than happy to show you around the areas of the pass and fernie cranbrook to if you would like!! the wind usually isnt to bad unless you do the middle or north koot and are sitting at the tops of passes. I'm not a big fan of the north side trails unless you cross deadmans pass or racehorse pass into the alexander creek side in bc. But I'm definately in forsure to show people around as well

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want someone to show you the lower half like castle ski area and over onto bc side I would love to show you an area the locals call sore crotch guaranteed that you will wanna come back to this area time and time again

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the info. Heard castle area was great when it gets dumped on.
When it comes time to make a trip will make contact with a few of the guys im sure
RP

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do it up forsure a nice big crew is always a good time :d ya castle is great when they get dumped on i love riding that area the north kootenay pass area and york creek area is real fun to I had a blast up in lost lake area about three years ago by far one of my funnest days back there

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want someone to show you the lower half like castle ski area and over onto bc side I would love to show you an area the locals call sore crotch guaranteed that you will wanna come back to this area time and time again

I want to learn more area's for sure,,,, I know castle pretty well very fun area when you know it....

\wheres soar crotch? cant wait for snow and to learn some new ares in the south.

book me in

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to learn more area's for sure,,,, I know castle pretty well very fun area when you know it....

\wheres soar crotch? cant wait for snow and to learn some new ares in the south.

book me in

ya me too...can never hurt to see sore crotch...see ya soon Jt

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys all these offers sounds Great I hope I can hitch upwith some of you guys this winter. Love to see some new areas and meet some fellow riders.

Thanks

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do it up forsure a nice big crew is always a good time :d ya castle is great when they get dumped on i love riding that area the north kootenay pass area and york creek area is real fun to I had a blast up in lost lake area about three years ago by far one of my funnest days back there

Coming from the #3 north on 40 out of blairmore is there much up there close to where the winter clouser is. rodew with a guy at catarac creek and said the the further you head south on #40 the better it gets but Blairmore is like 75kms. didnt make much sence as i woulld rather take the hiway and hit the castle area
And OH YA a big group to head down to the south would be a blast
RP

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Castle and The Notch for the first time last season. Loved both of them.
Golden feels a little over populated on the weekend to me. Good for mid-week rides.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from cataract to blairmore isnt really much riding except for racehorse and deadmans pass not much riding in there until you cross into bc then it is sick but the south half of blairmore is great

Coming from the #3 north on 40 out of blairmore is there much up there close to where the winter clouser is. rodew with a guy at catarac creek and said the the further you head south on #40 the better it gets but Blairmore is like 75kms. didnt make much sence as i woulld rather take the hiway and hit the castle area
And OH YA a big group to head down to the south would be a blast
RP

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sore crotch is about halfway from the ski hill to north koot pass on the rite goes into an area behind tombstone and packhorse mtn. it's basicly heli skiing terrain minus the heli skiiers :d a tough one to find if you dont know the area real well but once u have found this heaven u will never forget the way!! Looking forward to a big ride here boys

book me in

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sore crotch is about halfway from the ski hill to north koot pass on the rite goes into an area behind tombstone and packhorse mtn. it's basicly heli skiing terrain minus the heli skiiers :d a tough one to find if you dont know the area real well but once u have found this heaven u will never forget the way!! Looking forward to a big ride here boys

ohhh yeah,,, dont think I have been I am bad with names,, I have been in around tombstone once,, sweet cant wait I love castle I want to know every lil bit...:beer:

but reality is unless epic snow its not great until after x mas do you agree? I guess depends on snowfall and wind......

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last years snow was not the best but here are a couple pics of the Castle area.

Attachments

• S3600011.jpg
    S3600011.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 232
  • S3600012.jpg
    S3600012.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 226
  • S3600013.jpg
    S3600013.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 229
  • S3600014.jpg
    S3600014.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 219
  • S3600015.jpg
    S3600015.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 222
  • S3600016.jpg
    S3600016.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 223
  • S3600018.jpg
    S3600018.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 223
  • S3600019.jpg
    S3600019.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 224

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice pics those are some fun areas the one of that jump with the little drops is super fun to play on especially when you are first one in with some good snow! Ya snow can be awesome before december or terrible all depends but so far looking like it will be a good one

Top Bottom