Caribou closures Ne bc

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Announced today at 11 by the province . Probably soft closures for this season. But most of the popular riding areas in the pine pass /Hasler/upper burnt are closed . Silver sands -closed . Wolverine lost about 60 percent of mtn riding. Bullmoose closed .Core is still somewhat open . They are saying 85 percent of high elevation caribou habitat in the south peace will be closed but 72 percent of riding areas will remain open .As someone who has spent quite a bit of time in the mountains in all seasons, that math is not possible . Time to rethink what I spend money on for recreational opportunities

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Announced today at 11 by the province . Probably soft closures for this season. But most of the popular riding areas in the pine pass /Hasler/upper burnt are closed . Silver sands -closed . Wolverine lost about 60 percent of mtn riding. Bullmoose closed .Core is still somewhat open . They are saying 85 percent of high elevation caribou habitat in the south peace will be closed but 72 percent of riding areas will remain open .As someone who has spent quite a bit of time in the mountains in all seasons, that math is not possible . Time to rethink what I spend money on for recreational opportunities
Where did you find this, I can't find anything :sadbanana:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When do the new closures take affect ?

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Possibly soft closures, for this season. But the fact is it is closed . So what I have been told is information and education for this season and warnings .how long that will last I don’t know. Adaptive management will not be considered for at least 2 years and in a very small area

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Possibly soft closures, for this season. But the fact is it is closed . So what I have been told is information and education for this season and warnings .how long that will last I don’t know. Adaptive management will not be considered for at least 2 years and in a very small are
A sad day, when the gov't built the WAC Bennet dam and cut off the cariboo migration routes the cariboo decline started. But it is a lot easier to blame sledders than gov't and admit the real reasons.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^ exactly ..I sat at the table for most of the meetings and there has never been a representative from bc hydro present . A interesting fact bc hydro has not settled a lawsuit that has been brought forward by the West Moberly First Nation regarding the WAC Bennett dam .that SOB was built in the sixties .. 2 more dams on the peace river to supply electricity to the lower mainland. We as recreational users of the north will continue to pay the price for green energy programs in the south

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Wow, government snuck that one in or what.
It will not be long and all areas will be gone.
The way of the future I believe.

I will ride till I can't......Not to many more years, But the future of the young riders is very much at risk...
I hope the young guns start to get on the band wagon and rebel agains these government proposals and closures or the will have nothig left to quad or sled....

Just my 2 cents......This is terrible.....

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a new sled in 2 yrs, but not now.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll keep riding until the signs and conservation officers come out.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On Zoom with the Pine Pass club. most of Hassler is not closed. Upper Burnt is seasonal closed from Jan 15 to Sept 30, which in my mind is a full closure. Most of Beaver is closed, basically from Azouzetta lake to the south. Bijoux and Old Friend is closed. Callazone is basically a corridor to Williston with upper alpine closed.
Silver sands is open…to 5 cabins. No more loop around. Carins Lake to alpine is closed. McNarins flat is closed.
BullMoose is still open. West of BullMoose (BullMoose mtn, Cowmoose mtn and Chamberlain) are closed. But two of the 3 were closed before. Looks like Spieker mtn is closed which is to the east of the staging point.
From what I can tell, Wolverine lost the mountain that the mine is on. Also, Albright Ridge is closed. I can’t tell if the mtn behind the Wolverine cabin is closed or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom