Buying a new sled, decisions...decisions!

kwseba1

Reaction score
Nobody has commented on the new ProClimb? Is it not even in the running? I thought out of brand loyalty there should be a reason to buy one, however I havent really heard of one on this site. That they climb insane, that goes to doo, that they side hill like crazy, I think that goes to the Pro? Maybe reliability or trail savy, Ive heard their alot better than the M chassis for the trail, but im not buying a mountain sled for the trails. I want something that is close to the total package.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll shed a little honest light on Yamaha. ( lol on the maxwell). Apex is a climber even stock and can be rode through trees/ technical ridin but it gets tiring on the body. really tiring. Nytro feels great and much more aggressive IMO. Horribly under powered due to weight of course. Still takes effort to ride technical but can be done with minimal energy once practiced. Turbo it and blamoo. Perfect IMO. But of course not for everyone.... Been impressed by every brand somehow......except Polaris. Just kidding....sorta....

I have some good friends who ride boosted Yammies. They are impressive to watch and they can ride them but I'm betting they are tired at the end of the day. They are now heavily involved with developing boosted Pro's and loving the weight reduction and rideability of the 2 strokes again. There is no substiute for weight but to each to there own. They are all great sleds now compared to 20 years ago. Lol.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nobody has commented on the new ProClimb? Is it not even in the running? I thought out of brand loyalty there should be a reason to buy one, however I havent really heard of one on this site. That they climb insane, that goes to doo, that they side hill like crazy, I think that goes to the Pro? Maybe reliability or trail savy, Ive heard their alot better than the M chassis for the trail, but im not buying a mountain sled for the trails. I want something that is close to the total package.

I think they kinda missed it this past season abit but will be a better package for sure next year with all the bugs out of them. Haven't had the opportunity to try one yet so can't really comment how they ride in the pow.Somebody out there must have some input to add?

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have some good friends who ride boosted Yammies. They are impressive to watch and they can ride them but I'm betting they are tired at the end of the day. They are now heavily involved with developing boosted Pro's and loving the weight reduction and rideability of the 2 strokes again. There is no substiute for weight but to each to there own. They are all great sleds now compared to 20 years ago. Lol.

Would love to try a boosted pro for sure. Last time out rode with a etec. Very impressed honestly. Nytro wasn't turboed at the time and he was the better rider for sure. The climbs it made and I took many try's to complete was painful.haha. The nypex will change balance next year.

Sprint5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the doo they are super well balanced and are a bit harder to throw around but you can un hook the sway bars and that all changes. The 2013 xm is amazing my 11 year old brother had a great time on a 163 which is amazing considering he only weighs 110 pounds. You can pull them over on there side with one hand if your looking for a tree riding sled go with a doo.

Sent from my LT15a using Tapatalk

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reliablility of the boosted yamahas is second to no one. Right now you can get into the 180 kit nytro for close to the same price as any of the other manufacturers top sleds. At that point it makes the nytro at least comparable it not above the others. Seen them all go but have not had a chance to ride them. All four manufacturers have their goods and bads. Pick the one that suits you best and enjoy.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

they were a dissapointment to say the least. even the people that purchased them are trying to get rid of them. not eveyone of course. belt issues,clutch issues, motor issues, handingling issues( grasshopper wide front end) and some rear suspension sagging issues. 50% of them burned down in the first 3 km on the trail from airbubbles in the oillines from the factory. not to mention the fit and finish/build quality was unacceptable. im sure the 2013 is much better though.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reliablility of the boosted yamahas is second to no one. Right now you can get into the 180 kit nytro for close to the same price as any of the other manufacturers top sleds. At that point it makes the nytro at least comparable it not above the others. Seen them all go but have not had a chance to ride them. All four manufacturers have their goods and bads. Pick the one that suits you best and enjoy.

yes they are fun if the weight doesnt bother you. but hang on! tons of fun.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
50% burn down is a gross overstatement on the proclimb. When you do decide DO NOT put too much stock in what people say on the internet, ride em all and see what works for you, thats what i did. Heres my story on buyin a new sled this year, ive ridden the pro climb and it is an awesome machinebut they have some clutch, blowing belts issues and its a crap shoot if u get the good runnin pc or a belt burner and there was no advertised fix for the problem from cat so i passed. The xm etech was another sweet ride, thought of going that route but its heavier and it has some quirks in the handling that id say still need work. Then theres the rmk, less power but then also ALOT less weight, felt great for the bit of time i spent on it and it was ultimately what i chose to snowcheck, and not to mention $1500-$2000 cheaper. All this coming from a cat guy thats had 3 M series sleds......so just logical non biased thinking here... And then theres yammy, ummm ya nuff said there.

Also dont forget about local dealer support/options in your choice

kwseba1

Reaction score
What your saying really makes sense. I really like my M8. Its a great machine and im used to it. Its been pretty much trouble free, never left me stranded. I have spent more time dialing it in than I wanted, so am a little leary on running out and modding my next sled(espicially engine mods). I dont think Im there yet as far as turbo tuning or big bore tuning, not to mention the clutching to get the power to the track. I work in the oil patch, so when I get days off I just want to ride something that is ready to rock in stock form. In my opionion which is tuff to swallow, I dont think the cat is there with the doo or Pro? Not saying its a shitty machine, just dont think its a clear winner at any piticular type of riding, so to get it to out perform the other two it would either need wait saving mods or power mods or a combo. Maybe Im out to lunch. The yammy doesnt really appeal to me either, rode an older apex that wasnt turboed, front end was suprisingly smooth, but the rear was choppy and that machine really played me out at the end of the day, I felt like a rubber chicken by the time I got to the truck. Do you know of any demo days coming up early winter? I would be curious to ride all three. Thats probably the only real way to pick, get a gut feeling for what feels the best.

kwseba1

Reaction score
I dont really have alot of faith in any dealers around here, they all seem with the program until you buy one, then when something happens to it, they dont really give a rats ass, they have your money and if you pissed off and dont come through the front door, two more newbie suckers will. Kind of sad but true, same goes for the auto dealers in gp. Driving to a smaller town and paying a little more wouldnt be out of the question if the service was there. Not overly concerned with witch brand is cheaper, a grand or two in the whole scheme of things isnt the kicker, its how reliable and fun to ride I guess.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
........I work in the oil patch, so when I get days off I just want to ride something that is ready to rock in stock form........

Personally, I am biased for the Doo and I have a great dealer. I have friends who ride other machines and they are happy, particularly the Poo guys. Some of them are thinking of turbos and BB for more performance. So be it; to each their own!

My 2010 Summit and 2012 Summit, both 163" have been "push the button" and go for over 7000 kms. No belt problems, minor clutching changes (different ramps and rollers) for what I doo, and delightful to ride. The Etec, with the soft throttle pull, great response, and a little more power is an awesome power plant. BRP has it figured out and with the T-Motion and the flex track the 2013 Summit XM will be a delight. Oh ya', and the 3 year warranty, IMHO, is a bonus.

I wish I could help you out with a fall demo ride for all three but realistically, all I can Doo is invite you down to the eastern Koots for an early season ride in Nov.

kwseba1

Reaction score
I would be all over that! Demo ride or rent would be ok too, an excuse to ride in a area I havent rode before, im from northern Alberta. Definately interested, would like more details.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm Doo biased but it seems most guys that come from a vertical steering post like to stay with a vertical post. I think you could go from your M-series to the pro and feel right at home but if you don't mind some learning curve the xm will fit the bill too.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I would be all over that! Demo ride or rent would be ok too, an excuse to ride in a area I havent rode before, im from northern Alberta. Definately interested, would like more details.

If I don't sell the 2012 Summit Etec by that time you could take it for a test drive also. By the end of Nov., the 2013's should be in the stable. Now that would be a ride for you.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont really have alot of faith in any dealers around here, they all seem with the program until you buy one, then when something happens to it, they dont really give a rats ass, they have your money and if you pissed off and dont come through the front door, two more newbie suckers will. Kind of sad but true, same goes for the auto dealers in gp. Driving to a smaller town and paying a little more wouldnt be out of the question if the service was there. Not overly concerned with witch brand is cheaper, a grand or two in the whole scheme of things isnt the kicker, its how reliable and fun to ride I guess.

If you decide on a Polaris give Gaudins Honda in Beaverlodge a try. On the poo i have now it was 1600 cheaper to buy there and came full of oil,spare plugs and belt. Countryside wouldn't even put gas in it if bought there.Gaudins did The first service,cost 100 bucks and they did all the called for ajusting,greasing,checks and filled with fuel. I also had my kids quads serviced and repaired there and the little 90 had all new brakes,cables,carb, spark plug and wire,air intake plumbing,filters and gearbox oil change and new battery for 600 bucks and the 550 xp had every oil changed,winch motor repair,new winch cable and hook and filters for 300.
I dont see any problems with that and the load and unload them for you while your doing paperwork. A-1 service in my books.

kwseba1

Reaction score
Ya thats kind of what I was thinking, Ive known Al for a long time and like there approach. No pressure to buy and friendly service. That is a big part of buying a machine that maybe some people dont think about when buying new, whats going to happen when I have to take it back for service?!

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this will come down to personal preference and what dealer you like to deal with. i rode a 2012 pro rmk and a 2012 cat and i prefer the way the cat handles, it feels night and day different over the M series. the pro was nice but didnt make me go wow i need this. cat has easy weight loss. i cant comment on the doos never really get to ride them. The cat dealer i deal with is the real reason i stay on cats at this point. ride em all check out the dealers and see what fits you best. :)

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the way things are going its going to be a toss up on the 13 Pro RMK or the new XM I would try to secure demo rides on both of those for next year.Preferances will prob come down to price,dealer ,and which sled feels better for your personal fit.Yamaha too heavy!!.Cat has some work to do.

Top Bottom