Buying a new sled, decisions...decisions!

kwseba1

Reaction score
Havent been on here for long, but one thing ive learned is some people get caught up in brand loyalty. I like to think of myself as somewhat logical and open minded. Lol. I was out of the sport for quite some time but got back into it the last couple of years. I have a 09 M8 with head and porting done, intake, reeds, pipe, y-pipe, can. I put a 2.5 challanger extreme on(162). Ive finally got the clutching and fueling fairly close I think. It works fairly well, but I will admit the doos with their 16" wide and good power can really climb. I like climbing, but after watching the schooled videos last year im really starting to enjoy more technical tree riding and sidehilling. So... my question is this... I would like straight up informative info on what sled would best suit my riding style? Ive really tried to get the hang of the ski-doo, but cant seem to counter steer them at slow speed, espicially down hill. Ive only road the Pro 600 for a few minutes... and honestly thought it was ok? but was just used to my M8. I have the shock update and coil overs. I find it handles well on the trail compared to the stock fox floats. I think i might be dissapointed with the new proclimb. No weight reduction, no 16" track? I really notice the weight difference when I pull my hood off(14 lbs). So I know i would really appreciate the FLICKABILITY(wow thats getting old! hahaha) of the new pro. Some people on here say that its underpowered. Would really like any POSITIVE feed back on which sled will be the most fun, problem free, as I intend to leave this one mostly stock. thanks.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should try the new Skidoo XM platform before making a decision. It will carve with the Pro and still outclimb it. The best of both worlds with the best engine on the snow.

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really like my 2011 800 etec. All stock except for can. Love the way it handles and climbs. Good luck

kwseba1

Reaction score
Have you personally got the chance to ride the xm platform, seen it run against the comp, or is this just an educated prediction?

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Havent been on here for long, but one thing ive learned is some people get caught up in brand loyalty. I like to think of myself as somewhat logical and open minded. Lol. I was out of the sport for quite some time but got back into it the last couple of years. I have a 09 M8 with head and porting done, intake, reeds, pipe, y-pipe, can. I put a 2.5 challanger extreme on(162). Ive finally got the clutching and fueling fairly close I think. It works fairly well, but I will admit the doos with their 16" wide and good power can really climb. I like climbing, but after watching the schooled videos last year im really starting to enjoy more technical tree riding and sidehilling. So... my question is this... I would like straight up informative info on what sled would best suit my riding style? Ive really tried to get the hang of the ski-doo, but cant seem to counter steer them at slow speed, espicially down hill. Ive only road the Pro 600 for a few minutes... and honestly thought it was ok? but was just used to my M8. I have the shock update and coil overs. I find it handles well on the trail compared to the stock fox floats. I think i might be dissapointed with the new proclimb. No weight reduction, no 16" track? I really notice the weight difference when I pull my hood off(14 lbs). So I know i would really appreciate the FLICKABILITY(wow thats getting old! hahaha) of the new pro. Some people on here say that its underpowered. Would really like any POSITIVE feed back on which sled will be the most fun, problem free, as I intend to leave this one mostly stock. thanks.

Im a ski-doo lover /loyalist so imo theyre the best. Having said that i'm used to/love the handling as thats what i ride. 2 of my buddies switched from m8's this year to pro rmk's. They found the transition really easy and are loving the sleds. You might find the samething? I dunno. Just my experience. However they are selling they're 155's and getting 163's so they can keep up with my 154. Just saying. Hope you enjoy whatever you choose.:beer::beer::beer:

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try to get a good test ride on them all then buy the one that feels right to you. If it feels right it will work Right!!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you personally got the chance to ride the xm platform, seen it run against the comp, or is this just an educated prediction?

I have a day on the Xm platform. I have not rode against the competition as it was a BRP demo ride however I have to say this sled almost obsolete's the XP sleds with its manuevaribility. This is why you need to try it to see for yourself. JMHO.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should try the new Skidoo XM platform before making a decision. It will carve with the Pro and still outclimb it. The best of both worlds with the best engine on the snow.

Without starting a war this is the truth. We have both tested them. And the reliability track record is looking very good in comparison to the other 2. Fuel and oil consumption of the etec is second to none. It saved me 1000$ in operating costs this season compared to previous model years.
The camo extreme 2.5 track is the best performing track in all conditions. Coming from a flat steering sled the skidoo chassis is a different feel but with a few rides the sled will go absolutely anywhere the others will go + more. And much easier at that once you get the handling down. Downhill carves... NO problem. The xm is the way to go. But try one out this season. They are impressive.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote goes for the Polaris pro rmk. But theirs nothing wrong with the doos neither. Your best bet would be to ride all of them then make your decision.

kwseba1

Reaction score
I know!!! Those ski-doos can flat out climb, anybody says they cant are only kidding themselves. Wondering if the new xm platform is going to make that much of a difference in my riding ability on them. I looked really novice when I got on one in Valemont, it was kind of embarrassing! lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know!!! Those ski-doos can flat out climb, anybody says they cant are only kidding themselves. Wondering if the new xm platform is going to make that much of a difference in my riding ability on them. I looked really novice when I got on one in Valemont, it was kind of embarrassing! lol

I know how you feel. They are very easy to tip over compared to the XP. But after a days riding I had gained all my confidence back and then some.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Without starting a war this is the truth. We have both tested them. And the reliability track record is looking very good in comparison to the other 2. Fuel and oil consumption of the etec is second to none. It saved me 1000$ in operating costs this season compared to previous model years.
The camo extreme 2.5 track is the best performing track in all conditions. Coming from a flat steering sled the skidoo chassis is a different feel but with a few rides the sled will go absolutely anywhere the others will go + more. And much easier at that once you get the handling down. Downhill carves... NO problem. The xm is the way to go. But try one out this season. They are impressive.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

I'm sure the fight will be on soon enough...haha

The xm does sound like the answer.......i can't imagine a sled that handles better for me than my 12 freeride............but if it does....holy phawk!......i'm sold....just sayin

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I presently ride a 2012 Etec 163 and have spring ordered 2 2013 Etecs. They are that much better. My wife and I had two demo days on the 2013 Prototypes this winter and they are awesome. She was able to carve effortlessly and is looking forward to learning how to side hill next winter. On that sled she'll doo it!

Her 2010 163 was a great machine but a little hard for her to carving etc. She was googly eyed with the 2013.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
and I have to agree with Maxwell regarding fuel and oil consumption. Running two machines through the winter we normally used 4 cases of oil. with the Etec it was half as much this year and the Etec was always less than half of what the 2010 used. And talk about reliability; 3000 kms and just a relay to replace and the belt at around 1800 kms. Friggin' awesome

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to crash your doofest. Just sayin there r other possibilities......can't not knock what ya don't try.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to crash your doofest. Just sayin there r other possibilities......can't not knock what ya don't try.

Its not a Doofest until Maxwell makes at least 5 posts. The yammies are great for climbing in boosted form. Not sure in stock trim.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll shed a little honest light on Yamaha. ( lol on the maxwell). Apex is a climber even stock and can be rode through trees/ technical ridin but it gets tiring on the body. really tiring. Nytro feels great and much more aggressive IMO. Horribly under powered due to weight of course. Still takes effort to ride technical but can be done with minimal energy once practiced. Turbo it and blamoo. Perfect IMO. But of course not for everyone.... Been impressed by every brand somehow......except Polaris. Just kidding....sorta....

Top Bottom