Buying a new sled, decisions...decisions!

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of comments on sleds and real good ones, I have a s/c apex works real well but at the end of the day your bagged. Yes the yamahas are heavy but they are real reliable but u do need to turbo or s/c to get the sled working for u and the cost is stupid were u pay 16500 for a stock sled and the other companies are cheaper and they still out pull u all day. If u are staying stock check them all out because they are all real close and u need to find out what works for u. Two years ago my son got to ride a etec,yamaha nytro a articat hcr and the polaris blew up on the trail. He choose the 2011 cat 162, we took it strate to kenny at mountain magic and all he did is add a riser,a can and changed the helix on the secondary. This sled worked like a charm all year not even a burp just pull the cord and ride and go was not the word for this sled we rode with all different types of sleds in all different types of conditions and not one sled could catch this sled that were also stock. I was so impressed I went out and bought one this weekend and I picked it up at camrose articat for 9800 out the door. So all I will do is have the same things that were done to my sons sled and I should be in good shape for next winter I'm also selling my 07 apex and if I don't get the right price I will keep it for a spare sled if my daghter comes out with us. I'm not selling the apex because I don't like it , it's because i'm getting to old to throw it around all day. So good luck on your the sled u choose but do look around because their are some good deals on 1 or2 year old sleds with full warenty and for me I would never buy a used mountain sled unless u Know the rider and how he takes care of it. To many bagged out sleds out their that have had the ch!t kicked out of them.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im really puzzled at questions like this. its pretty freaken obvious what kind of sled to buy.

the question should be

Im buying a 2013 Summit X, should I get a 146, 154 or 163?
Good choys if u ride alot of deep snow pick a 163 if u like the trees a 154 is better and it works better at home but a 163 is good all around I picked u p a 2011 m8 for 9800 out the door from camrose so good luck

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In regards to the original poster's question - rent and try before you buy. One sled does not fit all riders... I for one would never again purchase a first year model again, been caught in that trap too many times in years past. As far as internet "opinions", I take them with a grain of salt - anyone who has shelled out for a new machine will tend to defend the purchase, even if it was the "wrong" desicion, simply due to self pride. Buy from a reputable dealer with good customer service and support and enjoy riding - it doesn't matter to me if Rassmussen rides Cat, Burandt rides Polaris, or Kuster rides Doo. I don't know any of them, and run out of talent long before they do. You can put any top shelf rider on a Skandic in the backcountry, and they can ride it, too. Just sayin.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
Got a 2012 pro rmk loved it but the new xm chasis looked pretty awsome so went and put a down payment on a new sp, as i was to late to snowcheck a summit x, I like the fact that skidoo is easier to get additional horsepower without going to a turbo should be relatively easy to run in the trees also the new polaris scares me with how light it is and how they went with some carbon fibre parts as I tend to hit alot of things I do like the new belt drive system though, and also found the skidoo dealership appreciated my business more then the polaris dealership in calgary/cochrane.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
Thanks Doug you to sure ill see you up in fernie one weekend this summer, Do you no if the track on the new skidoo is part of the suspension or can you put a aftermarket track on it???

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Doug you to sure ill see you up in fernie one weekend this summer, Do you no if the track on the new skidoo is part of the suspension or can you put a aftermarket track on it???

it is an important part of how the t-motion works. but nothing stopping you from switching it out. id give the 2.5" stock track a chance first if i was you. but im not. so go hard lol.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

There you go tstams! Maxwell is much more knowledgable about those things than I am. I'm content to be riding and riding a stocker gets me into enough trouble. I don't think any upgrades would get me out of trouble but they sure could get the adrenaline flowing, eh!

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
haha ya the only fun i have is when im in trouble thanks Maxwell appreciate when guys with knowledge give opinions since there is alot of mislead ideas out there. Doug/ Maxwell have you rode the new xm chasis and what are your thoughts and sugestions on what to do for it, id like to send it to Linderman for some engine work hoping a 860 kit, and if there where aftermarket options what would you guys do????

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
haha ya the only fun i have is when im in trouble thanks Maxwell appreciate when guys with knowledge give opinions since there is alot of mislead ideas out there. Doug/ Maxwell have you rode the new xm chasis and what are your thoughts and sugestions on what to do for it, id like to send it to Linderman for some engine work hoping a 860 kit, and if there where aftermarket options what would you guys do????

Tyler, not to discourage an up and coming enthusiast but to encourage a budding star, try it out stock for the first year and learn the ins and outs of the sled. From what I saw on the 2 demo rides, I think it will be a game changer stock. At the ride in Eagles, Baker was even impressed with the stocker and it was only a 154.

Doo your research; turbo and bb for the Etec along with the 3 year warranty are big decisions.

Top Bottom