Buying 08 Summit

ChillySeven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine found an 08 Summit 800 w/1700km for $7700.00 OBO. I don't know much about the XPs. Does any one know what he should be looking out for or were they a solid machine?:dunno:

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are a great machine! Make sure all the updates are done to it and no past motor work is done to it. Make sure the chain is tight on the chain case and I would recomend a dj clutch kit especially for the 08 but other than that there great.

P.s. Around 3500- 4000 km I would do a top end they are only like 800 bucks vs waiting till it blows and it could cost 2000+

ChillySeven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are a great machine! Make sure all the updates are done to it and no past motor work is done to it. Make sure the chain is tight on the chain case and I would recomend a dj clutch kit especially for the 08 but other than that there great.

P.s. Around 3500- 4000 km I would do a top end they are only like 800 bucks vs waiting till it blows and it could cost 2000+
Thanks I really appreciate the info and will pass it in to my bud. That's the kind of stuff I was hoping to get.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had one. great sled. just make sure it has all the updates. i added a head and a can to mine and it worked way better.

ChillySeven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7700 seems high for that sled, i am working a deal on a 08 summit x for 6800 with 1200kms on it
Hey thanks for the input oler1234. We haven't spoken to the seller yet but the add did say OBO, so my pal Brad can look into the questions that slednecks11 threw out there plus ask about the price.
Thanks for the help.

ChillySeven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had one. great sled. just make sure it has all the updates. i added a head and a can to mine and it worked way better.

Did you add the head for higher compression? I forgot to ask about the updates. Were they clutch related or oil ratio or something along those lines and would the dealer have done them on warranty or recall?

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
7700 seems high for that sled, i am working a deal on a 08 summit x for 6800 with 1200kms on it

$7700 may seem high to you but they were $13000 when new. Thats quite a hit. I've got mine for sale for $7500 with every gadget you can buy..... Boss seat, clickers, vents, clutch brace, dj clutch kit, can, iso-vibe, temperature module, billet wheels, billet clutch adjuster, and on and on.....$3000 worth of accessories.....

ChillySeven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duck that sounds like it might be a safer bet seeings how the other guy did not volunteer any info in his add besides the make, kms, year and price. I'll get a hold of Brad in the next couple pf days and he might contact you instead. Thanks.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you add the head for higher compression? I forgot to ask about the updates. Were they clutch related or oil ratio or something along those lines and would the dealer have done them on warranty or recall?

i added a terra alps racing 14 to 1 head and air box mod. it improves the mid range and up. think it adds 9hp to the mid 5hp on top. most updates would have been done under warranty. most were minor crap. there was the drive shaft and little things like oil cap leaked, fuel sending unit stopped working. just little stuff. oh and regear it. i did the 19t originally and hated it. with the head the 20t worked way better.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i added a terra alps racing 14 to 1 head and air box mod. it improves the mid range and up. think it adds 9hp to the mid 5hp on top. most updates would have been done under warranty. most were minor crap. there was the drive shaft and little things like oil cap leaked, fuel sending unit stopped working. just little stuff. oh and regear it. i did the 19t originally and hated it. with the head the 20t worked way better.

Terra Alps didnt make a head they cloned them.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

Duck that sounds like it might be a safer bet seeings how the other guy did not volunteer any info in his add besides the make, kms, year and price. I'll get a hold of Brad in the next couple pf days and he might contact you instead. Thanks.

For $7500, mine has all the bells and whistles and there is nothing you need to buy unless your looking at a turbo or a sunroof!

by the way, its geared at 20 on the top sprocket. Its the best all around gear.

ChillySeven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5-9hp for bolt on mod, thats's pretty decent. I wonder if there is anything like that for my 06 800 Summit. The problem with me is I ride around 2500ft at home, then go to the mountains 3 or 4 times a year so I need something that'll work at lower elevations as well as high. My unit is stock other than an MBRP can and the newer V Force 3s but my motor is mint. Clutches are stock also.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
5-9hp for bolt on mod, thats's pretty decent. I wonder if there is anything like that for my 06 800 Summit. The problem with me is I ride around 2500ft at home, then go to the mountains 3 or 4 times a year so I need something that'll work at lower elevations as well as high. My unit is stock other than an MBRP can and the newer V Force 3s but my motor is mint. Clutches are stock also.

A DJ clutch kit is the best bang for the buck....Its one of the first things I doo to any ski-doo.....Once you ride a sled with Dynamo Joes kits you will never ride stock again. It really has a harder hit on the bottom, better pull throughout and retains the top end. It doesn't matter if you ride mountains or prairies, they just flat out work.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for the OP, I bought an 08 summit last march for 7850. Had all updates done, a can and a cover. Never blew a belt all season, it started with 1500K on it. Sounds like that guy is asking too much.

Duck's sled sounds like a far better deal, as I am soon dumping money to do most of what he had done.

I personally really enjoy mine, it's treated me well, and I haven't needed to do much more than maintanence, and replacing stuff that breaks when I make bad decisions. Great machine IMO.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big mileage difference though. 1700kms vs 4500kms...

Ducks sled has some sweet upgrades...but would it need a top end shortly???

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A DJ clutch kit is the best bang for the buck....Its one of the first things I doo to any ski-doo.....Once you ride a sled with Dynamo Joes kits you will never ride stock again. It really has a harder hit on the bottom, better pull throughout and retains the top end. It doesn't matter if you ride mountains or prairies, they just flat out work.

Does that harder lower end 'hit' come at the cost of higher engagement RPM?

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point Taminator, but even if he had to do the top end for 1000$, he would be pretty far ahead with all the bells and whistles tacked on, provided he was after those bells and whistles.

Top Bottom