Belt issues on the 850

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know another guy his sled was leaking coolant right from new and the cylinder head oring was the cause he fixed it himself before out first trip i believe

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not all techs will fill out those reports i worked at GM for a long time and as a tech never filled out any reports on stuff like new modle issues little different cuz i didnt get payed to. Still a good majority of guys just wont fill it out! I cant say for sure but i would take his word for it he said the sled went down on one cylinder and took in in to the dealer and was told the next day engine failure im not going to ask him to get an RO number best i could do is post our conversation ......doo guys never believe anything bad they allways want to hide it and pretend their isnt a real issue its so ****ing anoying
Agreed, to fill out a report for what ya find is a waist of time for a flat rate guy, and for the info you get a cup lol

I never file a report, I just keep it so if I find it again I know what to do

sent while drinking tea's

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I think snopro (who I believe is a dealer) is saying, is that any warranty claims are posted on the BRP community network. Dealers have access to see what claims are being made by others and he hasn't seen one regarding engine failure. I'm guessing a claim cannot be made without a tech filling out the form. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Snopro, is it possible that BRP is removing them, or not allowing others to see? Perhaps to keep failures to themselves?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I think snopro (who I believe is a dealer) is saying, is that any warranty claims are posted on the BRP community network. Dealers have access to see what claims are being made by others and he hasn't seen one regarding engine failure. I'm guessing a claim cannot be made without a tech filling out the form. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Snopro, is it possible that BRP is removing them, or not allowing others to see? Perhaps to keep failures to themselves?
I work at a dealership to keep my nose in the sport but owned my own store for 25 years. Actual warranty claims aren't posted but techs will ask other techs or BRP service who mods the site for help with stuff they see in their shops. It has however turned into a bit like snow and mud where some techs will report everything they see at their store and whine about it. This site is a great tool to see solutions to problems as well as see trends that are happening with the model like the coolant tank issue and pipe sensor that BRP released fixes for recently. I don't think BRP would keep failures to themselves as dealers wouldn't put up with it trust me. The site is about questions and solutions.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work at a dealership to keep my nose in the sport but owned my own store for 25 years. Actual warranty claims aren't posted but techs will ask other techs or BRP service who mods the site for help with stuff they see in their shops. It has however turned into a bit like snow and mud where some techs will report everything they see at their store and whine about it. This site is a great tool to see solutions to problems as well as see trends that are happening with the model like the coolant tank issue and pipe sensor that BRP released fixes for recently. I don't think BRP would keep failures to themselves as dealers wouldn't put up with it trust me. The site is about questions and solutions.

Is there a link to the site.
For us commoners.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to laugh at you guys that are blaming the riders for the blown belts. When you buy something brand new you should be able to ride the snot out of it from the box. If i wanted to putts around all day protecting my belt id buy an old thundra to take to the mountains. We ride hard and expect our equipment to keep up. Brp has a problem that needs to be fixed pronto. When guys are blowing belts every 50 km thats not right i dont care what anybody says. Its no different the buying a bramd new truck and the tranny blowing after a day amd the dealer trying to tell you that you drove it to hard.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I'd have to agree, my XM has 2160 on the original belt, 1100km turboed. I changed the belt not due to it coming apart, but just for piece of mind. I'd say 2160 was good enough.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification and insider info.

I changed the belts on my xm at 3500km due to degrading performance. It's at 8000 now and that sled has never blown a belt and it's been flogged. Stock clutching and no venting, mind you I'm quite meticulous about cleaning. Rebuilt both clutches at 6k and the only thing needing replacement was the button o-rings.

500km on the G4 and on the original belt, but I know I'm borderline. I've seen the primary above 100°C, and overall it's hotter than it should be. I'm trying to be mindful of letting it cool down after some hard use, but I want to address the problem before it starts chowing belts.

I did the spring demo and made a point of checking clutch temperatures and trying to get them hot. While they did get quite warm, they weren't this hot. It was deep heavy snow too.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far my group has put approx 1000miles on the xm's in this revy snow and no belts blown.
Hard to get ventilation in that snow.
dff0ff70510314f784e93f525bc9f8a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive seen mutiple 850s blow 2 belts a day. while mine and others in my group have logged some serious miles and havent seen a failure yet. only difference between the sleds its the dealer.

I know Snowseeker has been out a couple of trips on his; with most of the crew riding 850's, and they have had no blown belts that I've heard of. All from the same dealer as you Maxwell.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many belts does a sled have to blow before the dealer is removed from the equation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres a blurb I posted on another site. I have a 154 x 2.5

At 1600ft running 967's with about 23.7g of pin weight. Stock 38mm pins with goodwin 4g and 2g weights. Clicker 3. At full throttle motor goes to 8100 rpm then settles to 8000. Motor has 40 miles on it. In secondary have tried blue, black, and green secondary springs. Settled on the black. Blue would work good if you run alot of hardpack and low snow. Black is backshirting nicer in the fresh to hardpack conditions we have. Green had excessive RPM before shift. Need a bit more time on the black to watch midrange RPM. Half and half on whether they are too high through the midrange. When I go west think I will keep the black in. If I were going West, I'd feel comfortable keeping the existing setup and reducing pin weight.

Changing springs is a challenge compared to the XM- mainly because you have to remove the muffler to get to the jackshaft bolt in the chaincase. To remove the muffler the console and hood assembly needs to come off. Fairly quick to take this on and off once you've done it...but even then...still more work than it could be. Aftermarket can will have the room and make this much quicker.

Next move is primary. Recieved a really nice set of tools from CT to teardown Pdrive. These are a good deal compared to the BRP tools. Feel theres some gain somewhere in the ramp profile but not quite sure where yet. Same with gearing. I ran a 2.42 gearset on my 14 154 2.5. I think theres some room to gear up slightly. Probably not with the 3" but I think there is on the 2.5".

I also have a QR11 helix sitting here but am stuck on how to apring it. I can use what was used on a 872, but primary springs are limited to match. Can shim the stock spring to get my final force but will jack up the engagement too high in return. Might be a wait and see until we have more springs and ramps to play with

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the info I polled from the other stats thread. Looks to be isolated to certain sleds but may just be that some let things cool more than others. Too early to really tell. Definitely not good stats though, BRP better get their stuff figured out.

Ok fellas, so far we have had 18 sleds polled.
Total Sleds- 18
sleds with one or more bown belts- 4
total logged km on all sleds- 5643km
total belts blown- 8
average belt life(all 18 sleds considered)- 705km
average belt life on problematic sleds- 210km

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another few miles on setup. Liking black secondary. Backshift is better, machine is always there. Engine braking is also improved.

With 154 x 2.5 still feel zi can gear up a tooth and it will pull it. Won't do it until belt drive comes unless I have something in shop. Not sure chain will accomodate either.

Motor is getting looser. Thinking it may want a bit more weight soon

Driftbuster

Reaction score
Been waiting to hear from BRP for over a month for warranty for the belt I blew, they needed BUDS report, pictures of clutching/gearing... This is kinda ridiculous that they aren't giving any answers. I am very quickly losing my brand loyalty.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been waiting to hear from BRP for over a month for warranty for the belt I blew, they needed BUDS report, pictures of clutching/gearing... This is kinda ridiculous that they aren't giving any answers. I am very quickly losing my brand loyalty.
A lot of guys are waiting for answers. They are working on a solution we are told.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of guys are waiting for answers. They are working on a solution we are told.
That's great they are doing something and telling you that. It's the customers that first and foremost should be informed however IMO. Hopefully dealers are passing this on.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so were there 2 different clutch venders :confused:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so were there 2 different clutch venders :confused:

I think what was implied that the reason for failures, like the belt failure issue, takes time to sort out. A lot of times it comes down to a "batch" within certain serial numbers that may have had a faulty part/procedure. This takes time to decipher...and I am sure BRP will eventually make good on those problem sleds.

I remember a few years back John Deere had some combine engines blowing up....Was there a problem with a poorly designed engine, hell no.....it turned out to be a bad batch of cranks from a supplier that were drilled improperly. The cranks needed to be replaced. Those engines were traced down and with a plan to fix the issue, asap. But the problem was noticed too late...harvest was under way. Deere was proactive on this and had complete engines sitting at their parts depots all over Us & Canada so when a failure did happen, a complete replacement engine was shipped to the dealer within hours. I personally know of one owner who had a catastrophic failure and within 24 hours he was going again thanks to Deere flying a complete new engine in and the dealer getting it done. Later, after harvest, those engines that did not fail were brought in, ripped apart and new cranks were installed. Pretty amazing story actually of how a company addressed an issue and took care of the customer.

I think BRP is one of those companies who will address the issues and make it right. Will it happen overnight, nope.

Last edited:
Top Bottom