2021 Skidoo 850 turbo reviews

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes me laugh at some of these comments from so called sledders .lol
Sleds are always clutched for 10000 ft it seems unless you have a good dealer that changes the calibration ?
Same as rider weight and set up ?
Rider weight,elevation , track length , heavy wet snow area , light fluffy powder areas and so on.
Reason they make clutch components in springs , weights , ramps , gearing .
Anyone that can’t adjust to proper RPM recommended by manufacturer should stick to four strokes ,Quads , SXS so on . Lol

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Maybe BRP should read these posts as we know what needs to be done but they seem to be reluctant to act on it. That’s why everyone who has this over reving issue must open up a case with BRP.

I let Martins know after my first ride that it was over revving. They put the heaver bolts in without hesitation, then I took out again and it was still a bit high, not as bad, no rev limiter anymore. They recommended the washers, So I added approximately 6 grams total with the bolts and its good on clicker 1, between 7900 - 8100 on a pull. I'm switching up to the DJ kit just because I've seen it work and want to try it out. It will be installed by Thursday exactly how the instructions indicate, which are very clear. I'll post my results.
Otherwise this sled runs on 91 pump gas, crisp clean power at your command, no issues at all, just ride with a smile all day.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes me laugh at some of these comments from so called sledders .lol
Sleds are always clutched for 10000 ft it seems unless you have a good dealer that changes the calibration ?
Same as rider weight and set up ?
Rider weight,elevation , track length , heavy wet snow area , light fluffy powder areas and so on.
Reason they make clutch components in springs , weights , ramps , gearing .
Anyone that can’t adjust to proper RPM recommended by manufacturer should stick to four strokes ,Quads , SXS so on . Lol

yea, i mean we are talking about unscrewing 3 bolts and screwing 3 new ones back in. Obviously the delaer should supply those. The 2020.5 came with Both sets.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had my sled clutched right out of the box, trying different setups etc. I have never had a belt temp alarm ring in, and my sheave temp checks are actually pretty decent. One thing I have noticed when other turbo guys take there side panel off is how much belt dust they have.

My brother and I have approximately the same miles on our sleds. He is stock clutched except for the heavier pivot bolts I put in his. His secondary was filthy compared to mine.

I bet most guys don’t even bother looking at belt dust, clutch faces, belts to determine what is going on. Or know what they are seeing. How many guys still mark the clutches to see where they are at in the chain case? Huh??? Honestly; even adjusting belt deflection seems to be no longer a thing with most riders. Stock clutching is meant to be “ok”; but leaves a lot to be desired. That will never change. Basically live with it or fix it yourself; cause no dealer is going to custom clutch a sled on their own dime.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea, i mean we are talking about unscrewing 3 bolts and screwing 3 new ones back in. Obviously the delaer should supply those. The 2020.5 came with Both sets.

Exactly!!!! The new T850 is a home run for being set up so close but still not good enough??
Which it should be with no lose in power for elevation .
For some !! Haha

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So with doo hitting a home run... I though max was saying track speed of less than 90km/hr he seen, we seen a little better 97kmh on 20.5 and out with a 2021 a few weeks back with the Sibler number 4 tune doing 107km, on a 175” and ran similar to a 40hp gain as tune offered ..

owner said it cleaned up fuelling and response, and seen to to compare with Sibler sleds at 7-8 lbs

https://youtu.be/chg45t2RTBA

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If someone had asked me last week about these 850T sleds my opinion would have been totally different than now....my 850T sits at Riderz with a broken Jackshaft and cracked chain case... with back ordered parts completely stock sled 1250kms original belt...was going to put a can on it and clutch kit on it but didn’t not sure what brp would do if there was an aftermarket clutch kit installed.... still has 20 days of warranty left on it so sure hope they cover everything .... time will tell... would post pics but dropped in Edson and have not been thru there since... was pulling a huge hill at 8000rpm and baaaang felt like a belt exploding but jack shaft split in half and 6 hr of tuggin and pulling to get her out of the mountains.... ext warranty is 2300$$ for 3 yrs that’s a no brainer...hate be be the bad news basher... hope no one else has this happen

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So with doo hitting a home run... I though max was saying track speed of less than 90km/hr he seen, we seen a little better 97kmh on 20.5 and out with a 2021 a few weeks back with the Sibler number 4 tune doing 107km, on a 175” and ran similar to a 40hp gain as tune offered ..

owner said it cleaned up fuelling and response, and seen to to compare with Sibler sleds at 7-8 lbs

Did all 3 sleds have the same gearing...looks like it.

The higher HP sleds need to be geared up a bit and keep the motor loaded.

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I let Martins know after my first ride that it was over revving. They put the heaver bolts in without hesitation, then I took out again and it was still a bit high, not as bad, no rev limiter anymore. They recommended the washers, So I added approximately 6 grams total with the bolts and its good on clicker 1, between 7900 - 8100 on a pull. I'm switching up to the DJ kit just because I've seen it work and want to try it out. It will be installed by Thursday exactly how the instructions indicate, which are very clear. I'll post my results.
Otherwise this sled runs on 91 pump gas, crisp clean power at your command, no issues at all, just ride with a smile all day.

And that’s what should happen! There is a problem and they fix it...period. This setup is wrong right out of the box and you can’t fix it without opening your wallet. These clutches are to allow us to adjust rpm. That’s a selling feature that we pay for bye the way. There is no adjustment in this setup unless you ride above 10000 ft. So for those that think we should stop complaining and suck it up, you don’t have a clue about this setup. Ya it’s fixable and easy too. But is this still not resolved from BRP. If there was no issue and you still want to make some changes then by all means start buying kits and parts to make it do what you want. Thats the fun stuff. But to pay to get it where it should be from the factory is crazy.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If someone had asked me last week about these 850T sleds my opinion would have been totally different than now....my 850T sits at Riderz with a broken Jackshaft and cracked chain case... with back ordered parts completely stock sled 1250kms original belt...was going to put a can on it and clutch kit on it but didn’t not sure what brp would do if there was an aftermarket clutch kit installed.... still has 20 days of warranty left on it so sure hope they cover everything .... time will tell... would post pics but dropped in Edson and have not been thru there since... was pulling a huge hill at 8000rpm and baaaang felt like a belt exploding but jack shaft split in half and 6 hr of tuggin and pulling to get her out of the mountains.... ext warranty is 2300$$ for 3 yrs that’s a no brainer...hate be be the bad news basher... hope no one else has this happen

That’s extremely crappy to hear, but in all the years of doo using that jackshaft design, thats the first I heard of that happening.
I dont believe thats a turbo problem.
A aftermarket clutch kit would not be the cause of that failure, I confident you will have everything covered. To be honest, You probably would of had that covered out of warranty, that failure is that rare.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Common fred, when i talk about track speed i am talking about maximum load, entire track in the snow. Maximum sustained trackspeed before turnout, at almost 0 km\h groundspeed. If your climbing in 6" of snow with no load your going to get higher numbers, if your wheeling at all and your entire track isnt in the snow your going to get higher and fluctuating numbers. I am consistently getting 75km/h max sustained track speed. when the snow is nice and fluffy can creep up to 80. very respectable number but none of us will ever truly be able to compare that under the same conditions i determine that speed at. Snow conditions, temp, all makes a difference.

at the end of the day most people suck at riding and should just be looking where they are going not at their track speed. LOL

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First I have heard of it too. I'm sure if it was an ongoing issue the bloodhounds at Snow and Mud would have pics and cases lined up by now. You are still good on warranty turboetech. A warranty repair depends on when you bring it in for diagnosis and repair and not when the repair is completed.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So for those that think we should stop complaining and suck it up, you don’t have a clue about this setup.

??? The ones that have are clue are the ones that are not complaining, they did something about it, and they are enjoying their sleds. This is such a small issue and so easy and cheap to fix.

Canadian low altitude mtn riding is a small % compared to the US market where they unload at a higher altitude than we ride at.
The engineers made a choice on a setup, snow check R@D will correct it, its been that way for years.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

broken jackshaft or driveshaft? if its the jackshaft thats crazy those things are tough. Well done LOL. Hope it gets fixed up for you.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Common fred, when i talk about track speed i am talking about maximum load, entire track in the snow. Maximum sustained trackspeed before turnout, at almost 0 km\h groundspeed. If your climbing in 6" of snow with no load your going to get higher numbers, if your wheeling at all and your entire track isnt in the snow your going to get higher and fluctuating numbers. I am consistently getting 75km/h max sustained track speed. when the snow is nice and fluffy can creep up to 80. very respectable number but none of us will ever truly be able to compare that under the same conditions i determine that speed at. Snow conditions, temp, all makes a difference.

at the end of the day most people suck at riding and should just be looking where they are going not at their track speed. LOL

Lol, half the time in the trees, I can’t see where the fack Im going let alone have the time to look at the gauge. Guy who wear glasses, eh?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
??? The ones that have are clue are the ones that are not complaining, they did something about it, and they are enjoying their sleds. This is such a small issue and so easy and cheap to fix.

Canadian low altitude mtn riding is a small % compared to the US market where they unload at a higher altitude than we ride at.
The engineers made a choice on a setup, snow check R@D will correct it, its been that way for years.
I am sympathetic to his concern. As a former dealer we saw this happen. The customer pays a lot of money for a toy and it should be spot on out of the box. Why they went backwards on the clutching from the proto surprises me. I know some of the calibration team. They are friends but I don't always agree with their setups. We discussed this over drinks one night in Grand Lake. And remember this is pre turbo. They try and find a happy medium for a range of elevation and conditions. They have sea level, mid altitude and high altitude settings. For us they are trying to find a calibration that will work from 4000-10,000 feet. They fully admit that their set up can be improved on for a specific altitude, temp and snow type. What surprises me about this new turbo is we all know that they do their testing at CKMP. That is the altitude most of us ride and this is the altitude we are getting the over rev condition. They should have been spot on.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sympathetic to his concern. As a former dealer we saw this happen. The customer pays a lot of money for a toy and it should be spot on out of the box. Why they went backwards on the clutching from the proto surprises me. I know some of the calibration team. They are friends but I don't always agree with their setups. We discussed this over drinks one night in Grand Lake. And remember this is pre turbo. They try and find a happy medium for a range of elevation and conditions. They have sea level, mid altitude and high altitude settings. For us they are trying to find a calibration that will work from 4000-10,000 feet. They fully admit that their set up can be improved on for a specific altitude, temp and snow type. What surprises me about this new turbo is we all know that they do their testing at CKMP. That is the altitude most of us ride and this is the altitude we are getting the over rev condition. They should have been spot on.

im more interested as to why some are and why some arent. For example....every one of the ones purchased in my group do not have an overrev condition. Did some people get lucky and are making an extra HP or two? was there a weak batch of secondary or primary springs? who knows.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Haha
The French are tough to tell anything too even if you can show them multiple times !!!

Top Bottom