Belt issues on the 850

Jgibos

Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing belt issues? Any solutions? Re gear chain case or clutch kits?? 1st belt got 54kms and started to fray. Took it in for warranty. They checked alignment and installed new belt and re adjusted belt. They said it was to loose. Well 2nd belt lasted 200kms before it started to fray. It got a decent break in period. I had checked it at 100kms made sure it was adjusted to spec as well. And still started to fray. Not impressed with a 17000 dollar belt eater.

cheebbacheebba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No issues with my 165. Cleaned the clutches and checked deflection before first ride. Broke the belt in with gentle 30km trail ride before letting it rip in the steep and deep. Rechecked after 2 days of riding and still no issues. You may have misalignment.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I blew mine at 270 km .. looked good as new before then. no belt dust and I cleaned my clutches and washed my belt and adjusted deflection and all that jazz

word on the street is you gotta take out all the foam / felt and cut a piece from the bottom of belt guard to let it cool better.. it traps too much heat in stock form

will be doing all of that and see how long the next one lasts :)

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what people always say. Removing the foam won't reduce your belt and clutch temp significantly. why would it? These belts have been run on crazy hot clutches in the previous chassis for years lasting over 1000k sometimes 2. The P Drive is supposed to run much cooler and more efficient than the dinosaur it replaced. There's gotta be something else going on. Are they holding revs where they're supposed to? What do they get for track speed climbing before turn out? Are they quantifiably better than a T3? So far I've just heard seat of the pants feel reviews about torque, throttle response, and super smooth buttery handling . Torque, throttle response and handling were already superb on the XM.

Jgibos

Reaction score
I had alignment checked. Dealer said it was good. They re cleaned clutches as well. I think I'll be cleaning them again and getting rid of more insulating foam

Jgibos

Reaction score
Sled was holding 7900 to 8000rpm consistently all day. Had about 10 % left on break in. Hit zero fully broke in. Thwn seemed to drop rpm. Was like 7600 to 7900 some times. Same snow conditions. Then looked at belt and had a few strings hanging out of engagement side.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy just blew a belt in Vale. 350km.

Could this be a bad batch of belts on new machines? His de laminated... had anyone blew a belt they had from before?

Driftbuster

Reaction score
Blew belt on my 850 154 3" at 70 or so kms, delaminated the belt. Took belt in to dealer for warranty, BRP requested what kind of clutching and gearing was in it and for a BUDS report. Supposed to let me know when brp gets back to them. Hoping i get a new one, 70 km is ridiculous for a 200$ belt. Got 2200 km out of my XM belt, mostly mountain miles... clutches were crazy hot when I changed the belt. Guess I'll have to remove the foam, clean clutches and try again.

Kruchy

Reaction score
If it was bad belts it should be happening on all 2017 sleds even the 800cc models. Is it happening on anything else or just 850cc?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

plumcrazy91

Reaction score
Myself and my brother went out to Revy I had put 20 miles on at home flat land riding so belt was broke in he had 0 miles on his. His belt lasted 25 miles and delaminated and blew to pieces. Mine lasted 40 miles and same thing. Haven't tried to get warranty yet on the belts. We did remove all the foam the next day and made a point of opening the clutch cover and cooling the belt and clutches and made it through the second day with no issues

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was bad belts it should be happening on all 2017 sleds even the 800cc models. Is it happening on anything else or just 850cc?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Exactly 0 people have purchased a 2017 800 cc ski Doo brand snowmobile.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what people always say. Removing the foam won't reduce your belt and clutch temp significantly. why would it? These belts have been run on crazy hot clutches in the previous chassis for years lasting over 1000k sometimes 2. The P Drive is supposed to run much cooler and more efficient than the dinosaur it replaced. There's gotta be something else going on. Are they holding revs where they're supposed to? What do they get for track speed climbing before turn out? Are they quantifiably better than a T3? So far I've just heard seat of the pants feel reviews about torque, throttle response, and super smooth buttery handling . Torque, throttle response and handling were already superb on the XM.

There are some very good questions asked in this post and Im curious to know the answers, I hope someone can answer them.

Another question I'm curious about, does the track speed recover to the same as your climbing speed when the throttle is cycled.

FYI The gauges are a troubleshooting tool, I hope they are being used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode the hell out of my 850 all weekend.. Sleds wants to pull your arms off, snappy when you grab on and keeps pulling hard. New track is awesome, bites really hard, doesn't trench out, and get's you moving quick and up on the snow. Broke the belt in racing to the alpine then WOT from there. No issues. Just went and looked and no fraying or delaminating.

Gauges leave something to be desired, laying flat so it was covered in snow all weekend and polarized goggles don't work the best on a digital screen. Didn't get to see the RPM's much.

Just pulled my seat off and it's water logged. Stood it up on the running board and water is running out of it.

Front bumper has a couple bends in it to get around the pipe, didn't take much to crumple it and bust up my plastics..

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reading some of these threads reminds me of my 2012 ProClimb. Some guys had belt issues and others were fine. I never blew a single belt on my 2012 but read nothing but negative stuff on the internet. Hopefully if there is an issue with some sleds it will be addressed and looked after. My advice to anyone having issues would be to start a file with your dealer; emails work well to keep records as to dates and kms at the time of belt failures. Gives your dealer a fighting chance of recovering their cost of replacing belts for you. Hopefully those having issues will be fully backed by their dealers. I think in the end all will be well and the G4 is gonna be a great sled. :beer:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a head scratcher for sure so I spent some time today calling a few of our more aggressive riders. So far no issues up to as high as 400kms for my guys. Did some reading on the BRP community site. This is a site where dealer techs can talk amongst themselves and BRP service techs from Sherbrooke. There are some guys having issues and alot that are not. BRP reps are taking information in and looking at it. Here is kind of what they are asking about:

1. Were the clutches cleaned properly at PDI and the clutch area cleaned of all residual oil from the anti corrosion spray before the units were crated?

2. Was the clickers adjusted for proper rpm at altitude the unit is in?

3. Is the belt deflection adjusted properly at PDI and after riding some miles? They are recommending to run a bit tighter tension than previous years. Tight enough to start the track rotating but loose enough that you can stop it by grabbing with a couple fingers.

4. Is there snow build up in the footwell area that is restricting hot air from escaping from the belt "exhaust" area?

They are hearing the snow is heavy because of warm temps so the load is higher than blower snow would be in cooler temps so rpm is critical as we all know as a clutch that is hunting all over the place will be inefficient creating excess heat.
Bottom line is they are monitoring it, collecting serial numbers and examining belts and most likely testing themselves. It could be a batch of bad belts and serial numbers that will give them invaluable info so give your dealers all the info you can if you are experiencing this issue guys. They will figure it out.

Jgibos

Reaction score
1st belt went 54kms. Dealer said it was too loose. They installed new belt re adjusted belt and cleaned clutches again. I put on prettu good break in. About 100kms re checked belt deflection was a little loose. Re adjusted belt. To spec. Then lasted another 100 or so kms. Started tp fray again. Clutch alignment is good as well.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1st belt went 54kms. Dealer said it was too loose. They installed new belt re adjusted belt and cleaned clutches again. I put on prettu good break in. About 100kms re checked belt deflection was a little loose. Re adjusted belt. To spec. Then lasted another 100 or so kms. Started tp fray again. Clutch alignment is good as well.
Interesting that belt was to loose at 54 kms. Normally a belt will not wear that much in that few of kms. I'm thinking it was to loose from the get go? Hearing a few failures from down that way? It could be a serial number thing or pdi. My personal opinion on belt delamination or destruction at low kms is usually a belt problem. Almost like the belts were hanging on a rack in the sun for 2 years. Maybe BRP is moving some old stock? Lol.

Top Bottom