Belt issues on the 850

ZIG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is anyone paying for these belts or is Brp looking after them? Just curious how this is being looked after.

pooch

Reaction score
So I'm not to sure if this helps anyone or if it could be some of the issue.
I recently got back from a 3-day trip and put on 160 ish km.
No problems other than normal belt dust on white plastic......
I removed the hood and did a bit of a inspection. Every thing looks good so I plug off the intake and soap down the under hood and clutches and pressure washer them out.
Now on my XM's the water would always drain out from under the clutches within a couple minutes.
But on the G4 it just stays there. No water dripping out.nothing.
Anyone else noticed this?
Or am I stretching for something that isn't really a issue?

I will add that I have a skid plate on.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So I'm not to sure if this helps anyone or if it could be some of the issue.
I recently got back from a 3-day trip and put on 160 ish km.
No problems other than normal belt dust on white plastic......
I removed the hood and did a bit of a inspection. Every thing looks good so I plug off the intake and soap down the under hood and clutches and pressure washer them out.
Now on my XM's the water would always drain out from under the clutches within a couple minutes.
But on the G4 it just stays there. No water dripping out.nothing.
Anyone else noticed this?
Or am I stretching for something that isn't really a issue?

I will add that I have a skid plate on.

I have always drilled a 1/4" hole in the depression under the primary. Mostly, for drainage when I clean up the clutch bay at the end of the season. Maybe before that time would be good to get rid of the water.

pooch

Reaction score
I have always drilled a 1/4" hole in the depression under the primary. Mostly, for drainage when I clean up the clutch bay at the end of the season. Maybe before that time would be good to get rid of the water.
I also did this.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Cut a hole. Remove some foam. Never blow a belt again. Mmmmmmkay.
Just thinking out loud here but it would be cool to hear the laughter from the old school clutching legends when they hear that belt issue remedy.

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cut a hole. Remove some foam. Never blow a belt again. Mmmmmmkay.
Just thinking out loud here but it would be cool to hear the laughter from the old school clutching legends when they hear that belt issue remedy.

I actually spoke to one of those legends today and I am certain he does not want me to mention is name.
He believes that the bad clutching calibration primary weights, maybe secondary spring will resolve the burning bets.
The breaking chains/ratcheting/piano string tight track (and inevitably blown bearings) are all a part of using the 6 tooth driver. Not an easy fix.
ALL of these items were apparently known by doo during the spring rides! Including Mr. C.K.
A bulletin from doo is expeted in early January.

So far a very stand up guy who is helping me out with some other issues.
Hopefully doo gets it right when bulliten comes out.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I still suspec poor dealer set up at a few dealers is still responsible for a large majority of the failures, after seeing some of these. Jus my 2 cents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a buddy made it 3km up the trail and wrnt down on a cylinder piston was smashing the plug and head he went back got his otjer 850 and it broke that day too both down now

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know I would have thought that we would see reports from techs that work at SkiDoo dealerships on blown engines if it was happening? Not one as of the other day and I went back 4 weeks on the BRP Community site? I would like to see some proof as well? Not saying it couldn't be true but one or two engines is not recall material. There is always a 1-2% failure rate on proven engines in the past and this is a new engine?

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know I would have thought that we would see reports from techs that work at SkiDoo dealerships on blown engines if it was happening? Not one as of the other day and I went back 4 weeks on the BRP Community site? I would like to see some proof as well? Not saying it couldn't be true but one or two engines is not recall material. There is always a 1-2% failure rate on proven engines in the past and this is a new engine?

i agree 100% lets see the drop off slips boys, I call bull**** on most,

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So snopro, what's this I hear the 174 was released with 2 gear ratio, is that crap if not what are they, I heard the low one is garbage, thx

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So snopro, what's this I hear the 174 was released with 2 gear ratio, is that crap if not what are they, I heard the low one is garbage, thx
There are 2 options for the 174 models this year. 21-49 gearing for sea level to 4000 ft and 19-49 gearing for over 4000 ft. I don't see any reason to run the 21-49 for the elevation and type of riding that sled is intended for IMO Mach 1.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are 2 options for the 174 models this year. 21-49 gearing for sea level to 4000 ft and 19-49 gearing for over 4000 ft. I don't see any reason to run the 21-49 for the elevation and type of riding that sled is intended for IMO Mach 1.

Thx for that info, I will look to see what's in it on Friday

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not all techs will fill out those reports i worked at GM for a long time and as a tech never filled out any reports on stuff like new modle issues little different cuz i didnt get payed to. Still a good majority of guys just wont fill it out! I cant say for sure but i would take his word for it he said the sled went down on one cylinder and took in in to the dealer and was told the next day engine failure im not going to ask him to get an RO number best i could do is post our conversation ......doo guys never believe anything bad they allways want to hide it and pretend their isnt a real issue its so ****ing anoying

Top Bottom