ATV Rider Swept away by River

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
ATV rider swept away by northern Alberta river

A 23-year-old Grande Prairie man, Jason Giesbrecht is missing after he was swept downstream while trying to cross the Wapiti River on a side by side Monday evening. His 25 year old passenger a girl swam to shore and was released from hospital. They found the vehicle. But the search for him is still underway.

ATV rider swept away by northern Alberta river

With the fast moving currents, be carefull when crossing creeks or rivers.

OLIVE DRAB DEAN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the runoff starting the creeks and rivers are going to be moving faster, becareful people. That cold water will drain you down, hypthormia. I had it once, not much you can do.

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grande Prairie RCMP, firefighters and local Technical Search and Rescue crews continue their search today for Jason Giesbrecht, a 23-year-old Grande Prairie man who was last seen in the Wapiti River on Monday around 7:45 p.m.

The Giesbrecht was operating a side by side sport recreational utility vehicle (SRUV) with an unnamed female passenger when they attempted to cross the Wapiti River near the Riverview Pines subdivision.

After entering the water, the strength of the current reportedly took control, and both Giesbrecht and his passenger exited the SRUV into the water before the vehicle rolled. The 25-year-old female passenger safely swam to shore, but Giesbrecht has not been seen since. The female was taken to a local hospital and subsequently released.

STARS helicopter, Grande Prairie police dog service, emergency services' boats and quads are being used as means to further the search. Additionally, it's anticipated that RCMP Air Services Section will be in the area to assist.

Police are asking the public to stay away from the area of the Riverview Pines Sub Division at the Wapiti River; saying it may impede searcher's capacity for a thorough investigation.

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man missing on Wapiti River

JEANNE GAGNON - Herald-Tribune staff

Posted 19 hours ago

Grande Prairie fire department will not search today for a missing man last seen in the Wapiti River Monday evening, said the captain of the Delta platoon.

Jason Giesbrecht, 23, was operating a side-by-side sport recreational utility vehicle with a woman passenger Monday around 7:45 p.m. when they attempted to cross the Wapiti River near the Riverview Pines subdivision located 15 minutes southwest of the city. After entering the water, the strength of the current reportedly took control and both driver and passenger dove into the water before the vehicle rolled, said police. The 25-year-old passenger safely swam to shore but Giesbrecht has not been seen since. The woman was taken to a local hospital and subsequently released, said police.

“They had some people out yesterday but as of right now, we’re not actively searching down at the river,” said Terry Haughian this morning. “The RCMP are looking after it now.”

STARS was involved in the search for 90 minutes Monday evening and two hours yesterday and during that time, spokesman Cam Heke said, nobody was found.

The RCMP could not be reached for comment this morning as to whether or not the search would continue today.

Alberta Environment said the Wapiti River’s volume has been steadily increasing since May 2, when the volume was recorded at 15 cubic metres per second. On May 5, the volume was 80 cubic metres per second, said spokeswoman Paris Engram. The department also expects the volume to continue increasing as light precipitations are expected, she added.

The RCMP, fire department, Technical Search and Rescue, STARS helicopter, Grande Prairie police dog service, emergency services’ boats and quads had been involved in the search at one point.

This is not the first time someone has tried crossing the river in a vehicle. Last summer, a truck got stuck in the Wapiti near the Highway 40 bridge. The truck eventually made it to shore. No one was injured nor charged in the incident, but it does serve as a reminder of the inherent dangers and consequences of trying something similar.

meaganjean

Reaction score
hi there, I was Jason's wife and I would just like to correct you. He was not trying to cross the river. He made the mistake of driving too close to the side of the river and the currents were so strong that they just took his rzr away. I appreciate you warning others about the dangers of the river because no one should have to go through the pain of losing someone like that or having to search for 100 days.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
My condolences!

If you require any assistance. please pm me. I just dislake safety stuff that is preventable!

Once again! My thoughts and prayers!

littleshit

Reaction score
Losing Jason and having to search for him was the hardest thing our family has ever had to face, as a year closes in on us, I urge all ATV riders to use major caution when riding by the river. All it took was a current to sweep the RZR in, the whirlpools we searched repeatedly in for Jas were insanely fast. *Please* use caution! We were unfortunate, you don't have to be.

Top Bottom