Canadian doctors seek ATV ban for young riders

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish they would STFU and leave it to parents to decide. Heil the Nanny State.

Maybe they should practice practicing medicine and leave parenting to parents: Medical errors killing up to 24,000 Canadians a year - Health - CBC News

Governments are spinning their wheels by not banning youths under 16 from riding dangerous ATVs, say Canadian pediatricians.
Just ahead of the Labour Day long weekend when hordes of off-roaders are set to hit the trails, the Canadian Pediatric Society (CPS) is calling for governments to toughen ATV regulations that would include forbidding younger teens from riding.
The youths are less capable of safely riding vehicles that are notoriously hazardous said Dr. Natalie Yanchar, chair of the CPS’s injury prevention committee.
“They have a high risk of injury among children and youth who don’t have the size or strength to handle these vehicles,” she said.
“Kids don’t know when they’re taking risks.”
In her practise, Yanchar said she deals regularly with teens severely injured in ATV crashes.
“I get so angry — it’s so unnecessary — these are kids who won’t reach their full potential,” she said, referred largely to those suffering head injuries.
The CPS is also calling for compulsory ATV training, helmet use, and a ban on passengers.
It says nearly 450 Canadians youths under 15 years of age are injured each year in ATV accidents.
With proper education and oversight an age ban isn’t needed, said Don McKay, president of the Calgary ATV Riders club.
“With proper supervision, I see no problem with it, along with age-appropriate machines,” he said, whose son and daughter both began riding when they were 12-13 years old.
He said his group does offer a free introductory safety course that attracted 28 youths last May.
But McKay admits it’s hard to ensure younger riders are always toeing the line.
“They can get carried away ... there’s peer pressure that comes into play,” he said.
The province has no plans to expand its ATV regulations that are confined to a ban on anyone under 14 from riding on public lands without supervision, said Alberta Transportation spokeswoman Donna Schultz.
“We do recommend Albertans follow the manufacturers’ recommendations children should not operate off-road vehicles designed for adults,” she said.
But Yanchar said decades of voluntary measures and education have failed to halt an increase in deaths and injuries among young riders.
“We have to start looking at in with a realistic point of view,” she said.
In 2010, six people were killed in ATV accidents in Alberta, with another 163 injured.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Highest injuries in the last few years in ab. Hmm. I wonder if the population doubling in the last 20 yrs in ab along with atv explosion in popularity has anything to do with it. I sure hope the govt doesn't fall for this crap.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My kids started riding at 4 years old. They are now 9 &11. There is not a hope that I will tell them that they cannot ride. They know the rules, helmets a must. The parents also need to take some responsibility and buy age appropriate machines (no a 7 year old doesn't need a 500 cc quad) but a 50 is probably way too small. Also the machines shouldn't be used as a babysitter because the parents want to booze it up by the fire. Train/teach the youngsters to ride and to respect the machine and we should (hopefully) be able to return back to camp/home safe. I got no problems with a helmet law and would like to see people save the wobbly pops for when they are sat back at camp.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I get soooo tired of this BS. It is irresponsible parents who let the majority of these accidents happen I think. Like stated above, atv's are NOT babysitters. A kid should never ride alone, or up front(they tend to go to fast), without helmets and other safety gear. Our son has been riding for 8 years now(since age 7.5). We put an average of 1500kms or more every summer and never has he been allowed to ride alone, in the front or without all his safety gear, helmet, chest protector, boots, long pants, shirt, goggles. He actually outrides a lot of adults, he has learned so much. Hopefully he will remember this stuff when he is an adult and out on his own with his buds and there will be no major accidents. Just because there are idiot parents and idiot people out there does not mean that those of us who ride responsibly and as safe as possible should be punished.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The unfortunate reality is that in a large number of cases the parents aren't parenting.

I've never had the misfortune to hold a childs hand as they lay critically wounded or died from an ATV accident ( or any other accident thankfully ) but the Doctors and nurses in emergency rooms all over North America have.
I'm sure their plea is coming from genuine concern and not a lust for regulation.

J/S

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
The unfortunate reality is that in a large number of cases the parents aren't parenting.

I've never had the misfortune to hold a childs hand as they lay critically wounded or died from an ATV accident ( or any other accident thankfully ) but the Doctors and nurses in emergency rooms all over North America have.
I'm sure their plea is coming from genuine concern and not a lust for regulation.

J/S

I agree with your statement but banning kids on atv's is not going to solve the problem. If smaller machines were not available for kids to learn on, then guess what, dad and mom will just let them ride the big machines. Kids die from being in car accidents, I don't hear a call to ban them from cars, or bikes, or horseback riding, swimming pools or any other risky sport.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They should maybe focus a little more on meth labs...I don't know the stats off hand, but I'm sure that kills more people than atv's. My kids started riding 50cc quads at the age of 3, and dirtbikes at 5. They've been introduced to the trails and various types of riding a little more every time we go out...I'm quite sure they have a better comprehension and respect for their machines and enviroment than a totally green 14 year old pumped up on adrenaline and testosterone on an adult sized machine.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All those daily Slurpee drinkers are about getting big enough and diabetic enough to start dropping like flies which I bet will exceed the ATV death rates by mega. Lets see if the doctors ban slurpee machines. :p I bet not. They don't give two pinches of monkey crap how many people die from bad eating habits.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with your statement but banning kids on atv's is not going to solve the problem. If smaller machines were not available for kids to learn on, then guess what, dad and mom will just let them ride the big machines. Kids die from being in car accidents, I don't hear a call to ban them from cars, or bikes, or horseback riding, swimming pools or any other risky sport.

In addition to lack of supervision, I think this is one of the issues. Obviously a child can't ride a full sized motorcycle because it's physically impossible, but would you let them if they were somehow able to ride it without their feet touching the ground? I don't think a quad should be any different.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish they would STFU and leave it to parents to decide. Heil the Nanny State.

Really? Last Sunday on a mountain top in South Eastern BC, while removing our helmets to have lunch, along comes a quad...half naked 300 pound wife sitting behind 125 pound hubby on a one person seat, 2 kids sitting on the front rack...sandles, shorts, and tee shirts on all...not a helmet in sight...not even a pair of gloves...15 km from the campground they rode from on not the best road in the world...AND MY CAMERA BATTERY IS DEAD!

:yikes:

I support education. I don't support a ban. A lot of parents are the last ones I want to leave it up to though!

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? Last Sunday on a mountain top in South Eastern BC, while removing our helmets to have lunch, along comes a quad...half naked 300 pound wife sitting behind 125 pound hubby on a one person seat, 2 kids sitting on the front rack...sandles, shorts, and tee shirts on all...not a helmet in sight...not even a pair of gloves...15 km from the campground they rode from on not the best road in the world...AND MY CAMERA BATTERY IS DEAD!

:yikes:

I support education. I don't support a ban. A lot of parents are the last ones I want to leave it up to though!

IMO at the end of the day it's their business not mine or yours.
300lbs half naked on a quad is kinda hot. Maybe he stuck her to the seat to use as a lounger??

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last weekend a guy went past all of us doubling with no helmets, you could tell what he was thinking. We picked him up in a deactivation 20k down the road, best guess ..broken ribs and neck injury. To bad they banned the old 3 wheelers they where awesome, safer than a quad once you learned how to ride them.

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
whats rules on kids under 16 riding? the $230 ticket i just got in parkland county says must have license. 7 yr old on a 50cc quad can only ride on private property? wtf

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
whats rules on kids under 16 riding? the $230 ticket i just got in parkland county says must have license. 7 yr old on a 50cc quad can only ride on private property? wtf

I believe that is correct in Parkland County...

"
At all times:​
• OHV Operator must be at least 16 years of age​
and hold a valid Class 5 Operator’s License.
"

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I don't think that's entirely true. I beleive the rule is limited to riding on roadways, ditches, and parks. Here's a link the county OHV bylaws. They're worth a read becase some of the regulations in that county ar pretty f'd up in comparison to other regulations I've come across. ...like it's illegal to double if the quad isn't a 2up. However, if you're on crown land I think you should be fine, since the Alberta Traffic Safety act allows children of any age to ride as long as they are supervised by someone over the age of 18.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/small_vehicle_booklet_final.pdf

Top Bottom