Will gas prices put the brakes on road trips?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
May 11, 2022 by Adam Malik

Will gas prices put the brakes on road trips?​

Gasoline-gas-station-Depositphotos_268864520_L-1024x684.jpg

Image credit: Depositphotos.com
A new industry survey reported that a significant number of Canadians will be staying closer to home this summer as gas prices keep setting new record heights.

Canadian woke up on Mother’s Day to the highest national average price for gasoline at 189.9 cents/litre, according to the Canadian Automobile Association. That was up 11.5 cents from the week before and almost 60 cents more expensive than a year ago.

British Columbia has the highest gas costs on average right now, at 209.1 cents/litre as of May 9. Alberta is the cheapest at 161.6 cents/litre. As of May 9, the national average sat at 188.5 cents/litre.

Canadians are responding by ditching plans to get behind the wheel, according to the Tire and Rubber Association of Canada (TRAC). The survey, carried out by Leger, found that two-thirds of drivers reported that fuel prices will force them to cancel or limit plans for road trips this summer.

Young drivers were most likely to change plans. Three-quarters of those aged 18 to 24 planned to hit the brakes.

With air travel not an option for many, road trips became a popular way for people to get out. People hit the road at pre-pandemic levels in the third quarter of 2021.

The survey also found that four in five believe high gas fuel prices are here to stay.

TRAC also found gaps between drivers’ understanding of how proper tire inflation can lead to better fuel economy and when and how to measure and set correct tire pressure.

Despite tire makers recommending drivers check tire pressure monthly, only 27 per cent of Canadian do so. Furthermore, nearly three in five (59 per cent) didn’t know checks should be done when tires are cold. About a third (34 per cent) check the tire’s sidewall for the correct tire pressure, which is incorrect as it notes the maximum pressure —the vehicle placard on the driver’s door jamb contains the correct inflation pressure.

“With these substantial knowledge gaps about tire maintenance, it’s apparent that drivers need more education to improve their fuel economy effectively. With gas prices at all-time highs and no relief in sight thus far, the time has come for all drivers to arm themselves with the knowledge needed to lower fuel costs,” said Carol Hochu, president of TRAC.

She reiterated the need for monthly pressure checks to ensure top fuel economy and the value of the tires.

“Combined with the right driving habits such as reducing idling, maintaining a steady speed, accelerating gently and coasting to decelerate, these small, simple practices can add up to big improvements in fuel economy. Drivers have the power to fight back against high gas prices by learning these few simple techniques to ensure they are always riding on properly inflated tires,” Hochu said

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can burn a $100 a day of premium with my Harley. It’s getting expensive even on a bike.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can burn a $100 a day of premium with my Harley. It’s getting expensive even on a bike.
we are fortunate because of the industry we are in we dont feel the pinch for personal fuel, but a couple of days ago my wife and myself filled up our vehicles, and it was close to $300.00 at the cardlock. My first comment was how do everyday working people afford this? Between groceries and gas, there has to be a huge change in lifestyle.

Now on a business scale, its crazy. I burn around 1000 liters a day when working, a year ago that cost me about $1100 per day, now were around $1800 a day. Thats a big hit. The mills have been good about fuel increases, but the price of lumber is high. If lumber goes down, the industry will come to a screaming stop.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I won’t be going camping near as much that’s for sure Or just staying local around home I don’t feel like spending 200$ on a tank of diesel every second weekend

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won’t be going camping near as much that’s for sure Or just staying local around home I don’t feel like spending 200$ on a tank of diesel every second weekend

Ya , I’m not looking forward to filling the ol Cummins !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
May 11, 2022 by Adam Malik

Will gas prices put the brakes on road trips?​

Gasoline-gas-station-Depositphotos_268864520_L-1024x684.jpg

Image credit: Depositphotos.com
A new industry survey reported that a significant number of Canadians will be staying closer to home this summer as gas prices keep setting new record heights.

Canadian woke up on Mother’s Day to the highest national average price for gasoline at 189.9 cents/litre, according to the Canadian Automobile Association. That was up 11.5 cents from the week before and almost 60 cents more expensive than a year ago.

British Columbia has the highest gas costs on average right now, at 209.1 cents/litre as of May 9. Alberta is the cheapest at 161.6 cents/litre. As of May 9, the national average sat at 188.5 cents/litre.

Canadians are responding by ditching plans to get behind the wheel, according to the Tire and Rubber Association of Canada (TRAC). The survey, carried out by Leger, found that two-thirds of drivers reported that fuel prices will force them to cancel or limit plans for road trips this summer.

Young drivers were most likely to change plans. Three-quarters of those aged 18 to 24 planned to hit the brakes.

With air travel not an option for many, road trips became a popular way for people to get out. People hit the road at pre-pandemic levels in the third quarter of 2021.

The survey also found that four in five believe high gas fuel prices are here to stay.

TRAC also found gaps between drivers’ understanding of how proper tire inflation can lead to better fuel economy and when and how to measure and set correct tire pressure.

Despite tire makers recommending drivers check tire pressure monthly, only 27 per cent of Canadian do so. Furthermore, nearly three in five (59 per cent) didn’t know checks should be done when tires are cold. About a third (34 per cent) check the tire’s sidewall for the correct tire pressure, which is incorrect as it notes the maximum pressure —the vehicle placard on the driver’s door jamb contains the correct inflation pressure.

“With these substantial knowledge gaps about tire maintenance, it’s apparent that drivers need more education to improve their fuel economy effectively. With gas prices at all-time highs and no relief in sight thus far, the time has come for all drivers to arm themselves with the knowledge needed to lower fuel costs,” said Carol Hochu, president of TRAC.

She reiterated the need for monthly pressure checks to ensure top fuel economy and the value of the tires.

“Combined with the right driving habits such as reducing idling, maintaining a steady speed, accelerating gently and coasting to decelerate, these small, simple practices can add up to big improvements in fuel economy. Drivers have the power to fight back against high gas prices by learning these few simple techniques to ensure they are always riding on properly inflated tires,” Hochu sai
Blame Truedope the POS and his cronies, also don't forget his boy friend Jagmeet another POS

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My work truck went from $65 a day to $95 a day for fuel.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has for us, I’m running $300-$400 a day for work between three pickups am not really keen on spending more for a road trip, was opposed to covid staycations but seem willing to for overpriced fuel ones.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
People don't care about fuel yet, just go down any highway and see all these gas guzzling vehicles doing 120+ because they have to be there 30 seconds sooner, status is more important than fuel economy, you look way better in an escalade than a honda even though it could save you a ton of money on fuel, no shortage of people out and about either so the only people I can see slowing down are the people barely making it by now but generally Alberta is a pretty redneck place and maybe if fuel gets to $4.00 a litre it might change.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Won’t be long , after the long weekend , prices will drop by 10 or 20 cents and stay there and there’ll be a long line of government a$$ kissers and media types congratulating our useless politicians for the great job in reducing fuel costs.
Same old tired BS , make it ridiculous for a while, reduce it to only sorta ridiculous and accept accolades for a job well done.

gforce_15

Reaction score
My wife and I have debated on whether we still do a ~2500km round trip with our rv trailer to camp around Canmore/Banff in July. We cancelled last year due to all the Covid inconveniences. We're still planning on going despite the brutal diesel prices. I don't think its going to be any cheaper next summer, so might as well bite the bullet and go.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading out May long from Revy to the Kootenays then Alberta and on to Jan lake SK. ( nearly at Flin Flon) Have to just suck it up and bitch about the cost of fuel🤷🏽‍♂️ probably double the cost of the last trip - for fuel only. Last trip gas was about .99 in Alberta

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Premium in Alberta is 20cents a liter cheaper than regular is in BC.

Just a fun fact

Top Bottom